• Richardson 7

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Majesty 7

Votes: 31 68.9%

• Total voters

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
I've been trying to decide on this for so long. I've played both, I like both, but there's too many choices out there so maybe SSO can decide.

I like the pickups and switching (being able to independently split coils) a little more on the Richardson model.
Necks on both feel good to be but Majesty is slightly more material (or finish?) and it is slightly more comfortable perhaps.
Used to dislike majesty looks but after playing one in person I actually like it.
Bolt on vs neck through yadda yadda doesn't really matter to me.
Piezo I will use very little realistically.

Post your justification below.

Last edited:

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am one of the few who is not a majesty fan. I REALLY wanted to like them. But I just have never got along with them, they always felt a little odd in my hands, where as the bolt-on JP models I love. The Richardson frankly is the most comfortable 7 string I've ever played. I like the way the pick up switching is set up, in that no matter what the middle position on the 3-way is a split coil tone from both I think outer coils of the humbuckers. And the subtle carves they've done to the cutlass body also are comfortable with my forearm. I'm just sad I can't afford one honestly. I will say that it has been a couple of years since I played a majesty, I might need to try one again as my tastes overall have changed quite a bit.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
I've never tried the Richardson model, but have played (& had) several Cutlass models. In my opinion the Majesty is still a more "fun" guitar as it feels smoother & faster, but this could be purely psychological because of the shape though. :lol:

That aside, in my opinion the JP15 smokes both and the JPXI/JP12 reign supreme.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
Yeah that purple chambered JP is actually one of the pinnacles of EBMM for me but in general I find JPs are often bricks, and the neck actually felt a lot thinner than the majesty, so I'm ruling it out for now.

mrvomit

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe take a look at radius of the necks , 15" and 17" (til 20" on jpxi/12) i.m.o. are quite a different thing , where switching and pickups are things that you can mod easier?
Also you felt more comfortable i guess for that reason , fingers do know what they are used to , so for example going upper zones and soloing /bending the "bit difficult" stuff you feel the difference immediately , either cause your guitar has that radius so you are at "home" ,or you are more a soloist than a complex chorder ( or opposite ) .
Aesthetically to each one his own

xzacx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like both, but think the Majesty is a lot more unique. I had a JR for a minute but sent it back because the routing was super shoddy, although I think a lot of it was just a function of that top material. I really liked the neck on the JR, but between the two I think I’d go Majesty—but both are really great guitars. What I’d actually do though is get a JP 16 for the Floyd since I don’t care for the EBMM trem.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
They're both good guitars but I'm more of a Majesty guy, I ended up selling my JR after not too long. It's personal preference though, neither is objectively "better" than the other.

yan12

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used to be quite the EBMM fan, but when Sterling left it went downhill for me. I have personally owned 7 EBMM guitars, all were very good and well made.

I have never been a majesty fan due to the look and the neck through. I only play bolt on necks for a variety of reasons, but there is nothing wrong with a neck through. They are just not my thing.

Between these two choices it would be the Richardson for me. Plus, I lean towards supporting some of these lesser-known players in my subconscious.

Strobe

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a majesty voter, it's a better more ergonomic design. The cutlass looks more normal though, if that is important to you. I have played majesties, and I have played the cutlass. The majesty is easier to play, especially up high on the fretboard.

That said, I am a JP15 owner. I chose it over the majesty - specifically because I like the feel of an unpainted maple neck. I like the extra stability I get from it being torrefied. So maybe something else for you about the Jason Richardson model trumps the very nice fret access you get from the majesty. If it were me, I would pick the majesty. That said, anything EBMM tends to be awesome.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
The Richardson looks like a giant potato whilst the Majesty looks like the spade you use to dig it up. ;)

Neither is a great looker, but I’d imagine either would be a great guitar.

Just buy a used Prestige.
I know you are trolling but I really like the richardson aesthetically.

Maybe take a look at radius of the necks , 15" and 17" (til 20" on jpxi/12) i.m.o. are quite a different thing , where switching and pickups are things that you can mod easier?
Also you felt more comfortable i guess for that reason , fingers do know what they are used to , so for example going upper zones and soloing /bending the "bit difficult" stuff you feel the difference immediately , either cause your guitar has that radius so you are at "home" ,or you are more a soloist than a complex chorder ( or opposite ) .
Aesthetically to each one his own
The electronics don't seem trivial to change to me on either potentially, especially the majesty.. its all soldered to PCB right, that might make switching hard to change. Honestly the radius (15 vs 17) doesn't really make a difference to me, I can feel the difference between 10, 14-16, 20, but anything in between doesn't affect me that much.

I don't have the Richardson one in memory at the moment, but to answer the original question, there is only one way, BOTH... everyone knows it, This is the way...
True.. true..

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
As a majesty voter, it's a better more ergonomic design. The cutlass looks more normal though, if that is important to you. I have played majesties, and I have played the cutlass. The majesty is easier to play, especially up high on the fretboard.

That said, I am a JP15 owner. I chose it over the majesty - specifically because I like the feel of an unpainted maple neck. I like the extra stability I get from it being torrefied. So maybe something else for you about the Jason Richardson model trumps the very nice fret access you get from the majesty. If it were me, I would pick the majesty. That said, anything EBMM tends to be awesome.
The appeal to "ergonomics" is rather subjective, I feel like while the maj is very comfortable, I think a lot of people are automatically equating novel shape with clear ergonomic advantage.

For people who love the JP15s, it seems to me very similar to the richardson, just adding piezo, so Im surprised JP owners would go with a maj over the rich in the voting if their primary motivation was roasted maple neck.

HungryGuitarStudent

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I utterly dislike the Majesty shape-shovel and don't care for neckthroughs, but I prefer its specs to JR7.

I would go with a JP with an ebony fretboard.

Best of both worlds: get a JPXI seven string, similar specs to Majesty but JP superstrat look.

Other option: JP15 Sweetwater Exclusive (Eclipse Sparkle): similar specs to JP XI and Majesty. I don't like the color of that one, but to each his own. I also prefer the 20 inch radius of the JPXI.

Last edited: