Revocation!!! And how I survived living under a rock for a decade

mikah912

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think for me it's more the thrash element, because I'm no stranger to jazz in metal considering I got Focus around the time it came out and have been a huge Gordian Knot fan as well as Martyr from here in Canada.

I really think I have a hard time with the thrash stuff, I'll keep listening.

What I'm currently spinning is anything by Teeth, Our Place of Worship is Silence, Vitriol, Cryptopsy, Martyr, Portal and any number of Dissonant bands. And of course my old school faves that never leave, Morbid Angel, Immolation and Incantation.

I also can't seem to get into Cattle Decapitation either, tried really hard, seen them live several times too and it just isn't for me?

*shurg*

I amazed that you're repping Martyr, but can't get into Revocation. Daniel Mongrain is an audibly huge influence on Dave's riffs and solos (although I'd argue that the songs Dan wrote usually present a more pronounced "dissonant/skronk? tonality to the riffs).

Wc707

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
See I think Vitriol is unsexy garbage and people only pay attention because the guy acts cracked out during playing and has a bunch of nice guitars

Also weird because I think Revo is distillation of like Early-Gorguts, Death, Suffocation and Martyr

Agreed on Cattle Decap though
I think the Vitriol guitarist superglues his pick to his thumb too. Atleast I'm sure I saw a playthrough of his where he did that

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
I amazed that you're repping Martyr, but can't get into Revocation. Daniel Mongrain is an audibly huge influence on Dave's riffs and solos (although I'd argue that the songs Dan wrote usually present a more pronounced "dissonant/skronk? tonality to the riffs).

Thats cool but take a song like

"The grip tightens" and compare to like "Perpetual healing infinite pain" or anything by martyr and I absolutely love that. And I just can't seem to get into Revo. But that is what is amazing about music, we can all like and enjoy different things, I really dig Vitriol and guy above thinks they are hot unsexy glued up garbage. But thats cool because there is so much amazing shit out there.

I wish I could really pinpoint what it is about revocation that I can't get into. I feel if I say what I'm really thinking I'll get dragged and burned hahaha

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Okay I'm digging
"That which consumes all things"

I didn't like the first song on this record though, I think I'm pinning down that its the euro thrash/death vibe in some songs. I really think that is it.

Gunna keep listening.

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
See I think Vitriol is unsexy garbage and people only pay attention because the guy acts cracked out during playing and has a bunch of nice guitars

Also weird because I think Revo is distillation of like Early-Gorguts, Death, Suffocation and Martyr

fuckin finally someone is willing to talk shit about Vitriol. I find them horrendously boring personally( way too much chaos and not enough resolution imo). They just pummel you into submission sonically, and there's zero respite musically ( which I hate).
I think if dylan from Daemoness didn't fellate them they never would have been as big as they currently are.

Revocation is the perfect balance of tech and hooks imo.. They lean heavy on the Gorguts vibes imo.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Reaction score
fuckin finally someone is willing to talk shit about Vitriol. I find them horrendously boring personally( way too much chaos and not enough resolution imo). They just pummel you into submission sonically, and there's zero respite musically ( which I hate).
I think if dylan from Daemoness didn't fellate them they never would have been as big as they currently are.

Revocation is the perfect balance of tech and hooks imo.. They lean heavy on the Gorguts vibes imo.

I find Vitrol refreshing for exactly the opposite reasons - tech has been super clean and polished as a style since The Faceless released Planetary Duality, it's nice to hear a band just sound like they are a hair away from going insane once in a while.

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I can't get into Vitriol at all. Even watching their playthroughs is comical. The guy has to have tourettes, right? Those facial ticks are fierce.

død

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I find Vitrol refreshing for exactly the opposite reasons - tech has been super clean and polished as a style since The Faceless released Planetary Duality, it's nice to hear a band just sound like they are a hair away from going insane once in a while.
Yeah, this is pretty much exactly why I like Vitriol. Tech finally feels dangerous again.

BusinessMan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

After a long while trying to get into cattle decap myself, I think I only like MAYBE 4 songs out of there whole discog, and only off the last two records- and that's only because of the layered vocals Travis does on the bridge sections of those songs. Their band is absolutely insane ability wise though.

As for revocation, I only really liked deathless and some songs here and there. I really like the song into the grave, madness opus, arbiters of the apocalypse and again some songs here and there. Deathless is the only record of theirs I have listened to front-to-back. I do want one of those jackson warriors Dave has put out.

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
I can't get into Vitriol at all. Even watching their playthroughs is comical. The guy has to have tourettes, right? Those facial ticks are fierce.
he claims he doesn't but I'm pretty sure he has brain damage. Anyone that uses spiked straps/ metal paraphernalia unironically in this day and age was prob dropped on their head multiple times as a kid.

CTID

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
just wanted to pop in and say thanks for this thread. my friend told me his dad's band opened up for these guys like 9 years ago and i kind of dismissed them thinking they were dad metal or some shit but hot damn does their discog slap

squids

Reaction score
i agree about tech being overly polished, but vitriol is just too far in the other direction imo. brutal for the sake of being brutal. If you can't get into revocation cause it's too polished, check out the other guitarist Dan's band Artificial Brain.

pazuzuya

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Revocation is the only modern metal band I see myself being nostalgic about in 30 years.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
i agree about tech being overly polished, but vitriol is just too far in the other direction imo. brutal for the sake of being brutal. If you can't get into revocation cause it's too polished, check out the other guitarist Dan's band Artificial Brain.

Whaaat the guy from Artificial Brain is in Revocation?! Damn that's awesome. I love Artificial Brain I've been listening to them since their first album(... Though, they only have two lol). Fucking wish they'd make more music!!

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
Whaaat the guy from Artificial Brain is in Revocation?! Damn that's awesome. I love Artificial Brain I've been listening to them since their first album(... Though, they only have two lol). Fucking wish they'd make more music!!
Yup, Dan Gargiulo was in Revocation until last year.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Also this thread inspired me to check out Vitriol as I had never heard of them, and I think it's pretty good. I really dig the production, loving the wild, noisey "solos". I mean, it's not really comparable to Revocation, musically. But I'll probably listen again nonetheless! And I'm a guy who can't really listen to any Ulcerate albums after their first one, and though I like the concept of Portal I don't actually listen to them. Cattle Decap as well just doesn't hit the spot for me.

I'm not surprised to hear that Vitriol doesn't appeal to Revocation fans though, because they are like pretty far apart on the spectrum of the sub-sub-genre of technical death metal.

It makes me realize that it's not fair to classify Revocation as simply technical death metal. There is a huge element of thrash in Revocation, which is totally and completely absent from Vitriol.

Kwert

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well then he should have plenty of free time to get the Artificial Brain train back rolling lol

That's exactly what he seems to be doing. They have a bunch of shows coming up and from what I remember seeing in an IG story they'll also be going into the studio soon.