Revocation!!! And how I survived living under a rock for a decade

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
lol dont force it man, the great part about music is that you don't have to like everyone and there are probably lots of other bands you like and will like but havent discovered yet.

I totally get that, and I don't want to force anything but christ, why don't I like it? hahahaha

I'll check out this tune.

Wc707

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yesterday for the first time I gave Revocation a serious listen. Dude wtf, why isn’t everyone talking about this band? Actually I did hear of them long ago, but until the other day I think my mind believed that they were Sylosis (not knocking the band but it’s not really my thing). I’m not sure how or why that happened.

But god damn if not I’m glad that I finally found out what Revocation actually sounds like, because they’re absolutely sick. Just finished listening my way through their discography. Relentlessly fast, chock full of riffage that you can actually pay attention to and remember… and the cherry on top: guitar solos are absolute fire! Literally zero boring solos, every single one has a hook. Man, these guys are like my new guitar heroes. Can’t wait til my guitar gear arrives by ocean freight so I can start trying to learn some. But the solos are definitely going to be a challenge.

I don’t usually become that interested in new bands these days… but then again, Revocation isn’t really a new band, are they. I’m sad that I have already missed out on a decade of concerts, because I’d definitely pay to go see this shit live. Hopefully they’ll tour Japan some day.

Any Revocation fans around here?
Big fan. Dave has some of the coolest phrases in his solos. You can tell hes an excellent composer, and he really writes weird riffs that are unconventional and cool

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I find it interesting that people say they aren't hot on the vocals, though I do kinda agree on the first couple albums, but from at least halfway through the disco onward they actually remind me vaguely of Chuck. The way they're kind of intelligible but "slurred", to me, is very OSDM, which I count as a draw.

It's also interesting that people keep saying it's got jazz. I mean, I'm not very knowledgeable on music theory, but I don't hear it. When I think of jazz metal I think of like Atheist or parts of BTBAM. Sure, it's more "progressive" than say, an old Possessed record... But hey if there's actually "jazz" in there then the guy is a master of concealing it like a "secret spice" in a recipe (my wife puts chocolate in her curry but it doesn't taste like chocolate)

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
I find it interesting that people say they aren't hot on the vocals, though I do kinda agree on the first couple albums, but from at least halfway through the disco onward they actually remind me vaguely of Chuck. The way they're kind of intelligible but "slurred", to me, is very OSDM, which I count as a draw.

It's also interesting that people keep saying it's got jazz. I mean, I'm not very knowledgeable on music theory, but I don't hear it. When I think of jazz metal I think of like Atheist or parts of BTBAM. Sure, it's more "progressive" than say, an old Possessed record... But hey if there's actually "jazz" in there then the guy is a master of concealing it like a "secret spice" in a recipe (my wife puts chocolate in her curry but it doesn't taste like chocolate)
I mean dave went to berklee, so he's really sneaky about his chord voicings and riffs not punching you in the mouth while screaming JAZZZZZ. He's more in the Gorguts/daath school of jazz where he uses extended chords/dissonance to build tension a lot. Obviously he's way better about resolving the tension melodically than most metal guys.

Listen closely to Of Unworldly Origin/Monolithic Ignorance.

VibTDog

who farted?
Reaction score
Back in aeons untold I used to play shows with them when they were Cryptic Warning. I believe they were still in high school. I took a break from music and came back and saw that Dave had his own guitar through Jackson. I appreciate their stuff but I cant say I'm into it.

xzacx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can someone help me? I DON'T like Revocation.

Dave is such a rad dude, we have chatted about guitars and Ironbirds specifically and just music in general for years but I've never been able to get into the band, I blame the vocals more than anything.

What do I need to check out to really push me over the edge. I also JUST got into The Faceless after many years of just not getting it, but it clicked a few days ago.

Help! I want to love them!

I can't seem to get into it either. There are bits and pieces I've heard that I really liked, and Dave seems like such a cool guy that I really want to like it, but more often than not it just doesn't do it for me. I think part of it is the vocals, and part is that touch of jazz. I respect it a ton, but just not something I can sit around listening to. I just checked out Inferi that @KnightBrolaire mentioned though and have been super impressed so far. Was The End of an Era the right place to start?

Wc707

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Personally think Dave's vocals are the best on Deathless album

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

While the thrash and death metal elements are obvious, he throws in a lot of jazz chords and voicings that you typically don't hear in heavy music. Like others have said, he's a master in the dissonance and tension, done in a tasteful way.

There's a guy that does a bunch of Revo covers on piano that makes you appreciate Dave's composition skills even more:

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You might say I'm a fan.
WarriorCDs.jpg

I'm a relative newcomer too. Less than a few months.

I will say I can totally understand somebody not digging them. For me the riffage treads the line between thrash and death metal, while throwing in some really music-nerd level jazzy chord voicings and progressions that may put off the non-nerd music peeps. As somebody that's played music in one way or another since the late seventies (god damn I'm old), and has been in everything from large orchestras to tech-death bands, I realize I'm not the average guitar dude. There's just something about the Revocation vibe that tickles my inner music nerd in a way very few other bands do.

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
I can't seem to get into it either. There are bits and pieces I've heard that I really liked, and Dave seems like such a cool guy that I really want to like it, but more often than not it just doesn't do it for me. I think part of it is the vocals, and part is that touch of jazz. I respect it a ton, but just not something I can sit around listening to. I just checked out Inferi that @KnightBrolaire mentioned though and have been super impressed so far. Was The End of an Era the right place to start?
End of an Era is a great place to start. The rebirth version is superior imo. Revenant is also a fantastic album.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That was pleasantly unlike what I think of when I think "modern death metal." I definitely see the comparisons to Chuck. I wasn't totally floored by it, but I'm a choosy diva about my deathmetal. I listened to an entire song, much further than I usually get after thinking "okay yeah let's try out some modern metal." I'd be stoked to see them perform given the opportunity.

Ultimately, this thread has me listening to The Sound of Perseverance, so either way I think we can call that a success.

squids

Reaction score

This whole ep is so sick. Maniacally Unleashed is the highlight for me, but you can't go wrong with any of the tracks.
if you're just getting into them, i'd suggest one those two above, Scorched Earth Policy, The Blackest Reaches (a dan special), Luciferous, maybe avoiding the self titled lol.

Rosal76

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can someone help me? I DON'T like Revocation.

What do I need to check out to really push me over the edge. I also JUST got into The Faceless after many years of just not getting it, but it clicked a few days ago.

Help! I want to love them!

There is this guy, Sam Mooradian, who has covered Epitaph from Necrophagist in it's entirety and posted it on Youtube. He stated that it took him 2.5 years to learn all the songs and solos.

A few months later, he told me that he enjoys covering Revocation songs more than Necrophagist. Being a huge Necro fan, that clearly got my attention. Could he have been just sick and tired of playing Necro songs for 2.5 years and that Revocation was fresh? Possibly. Nonetheless, I had to check out Revocation in detail. The guy even purchased a Jackson: Dave Davidson signature Warrior guitar.

Wc707

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This whole ep is so sick. Maniacally Unleashed is the highlight for me, but you can't go wrong with any of the tracks.
if you're just getting into them, i'd suggest one those two above, Scorched Earth Policy, The Blackest Reaches (a dan special), Luciferous, maybe avoiding the self titled lol.
The opening riff in The Blackest Reaches is really inventive and cool imo

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
I think for me it's more the thrash element, because I'm no stranger to jazz in metal considering I got Focus around the time it came out and have been a huge Gordian Knot fan as well as Martyr from here in Canada.

I really think I have a hard time with the thrash stuff, I'll keep listening.

What I'm currently spinning is anything by Teeth, Our Place of Worship is Silence, Vitriol, Cryptopsy, Martyr, Portal and any number of Dissonant bands. And of course my old school faves that never leave, Morbid Angel, Immolation and Incantation.

I also can't seem to get into Cattle Decapitation either, tried really hard, seen them live several times too and it just isn't for me?

*shurg*

Kwert

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There is this guy, Sam Mooradian, who has covered Epitaph from Necrophagist in it's entirety and posted it on Youtube. He stated that it took him 2.5 years to learn all the songs and solos.

A few months later, he told me that he enjoys covering Revocation songs more than Necrophagist. Being a huge Necro fan, that clearly got my attention. Could he have been just sick and tired of playing Necro songs for 2.5 years and that Revocation was fresh? Possibly. Nonetheless, I had to check out Revocation in detail. The guy even purchased a Jackson: Dave Davidson signature Warrior guitar.

Funny you bring him up since he did an entire playthrough of The Outer Ones album on that Dave Davidson sig.

gunch

Riff Chugman
Reaction score
I think for me it's more the thrash element, because I'm no stranger to jazz in metal considering I got Focus around the time it came out and have been a huge Gordian Knot fan as well as Martyr from here in Canada.

I really think I have a hard time with the thrash stuff, I'll keep listening.

What I'm currently spinning is anything by Teeth, Our Place of Worship is Silence, Vitriol, Cryptopsy, Martyr, Portal and any number of Dissonant bands. And of course my old school faves that never leave, Morbid Angel, Immolation and Incantation.

I also can't seem to get into Cattle Decapitation either, tried really hard, seen them live several times too and it just isn't for me?

*shurg*

See I think Vitriol is unsexy garbage and people only pay attention because the guy acts cracked out during playing and has a bunch of nice guitars

Also weird because I think Revo is distillation of like Early-Gorguts, Death, Suffocation and Martyr

Agreed on Cattle Decap though