Revocation!!! And how I survived living under a rock for a decade

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Yesterday for the first time I gave Revocation a serious listen. Dude wtf, why isn’t everyone talking about this band? Actually I did hear of them long ago, but until the other day I think my mind believed that they were Sylosis (not knocking the band but it’s not really my thing). I’m not sure how or why that happened.

But god damn if not I’m glad that I finally found out what Revocation actually sounds like, because they’re absolutely sick. Just finished listening my way through their discography. Relentlessly fast, chock full of riffage that you can actually pay attention to and remember… and the cherry on top: guitar solos are absolute fire! Literally zero boring solos, every single one has a hook. Man, these guys are like my new guitar heroes. Can’t wait til my guitar gear arrives by ocean freight so I can start trying to learn some. But the solos are definitely going to be a challenge.

I don’t usually become that interested in new bands these days… but then again, Revocation isn’t really a new band, are they. I’m sad that I have already missed out on a decade of concerts, because I’d definitely pay to go see this shit live. Hopefully they’ll tour Japan some day.

Any Revocation fans around here?

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
revocation is easily one of the best and most consistent bands in tech death besides Inferi right now imo. I realllllllly like their music, so much so I bought one of Dave's sigs, all their tab books and all their albums. Dave is a master of balancing the technical riffs/theory with the more musical hook laden side

Quiet Coil

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Welcome to the club - fairly recent member myself. Dave (Davidson) basically is Revocation, and yeah man’s got riffs for days. I’d say the weakest link is the vocals and even then they’re perfectly serviceable/not really a detractor.

How would you classify them @KnightBrolaire, jazzy-prog-thrash-death?

EDIT: And life under a (musical) rock isn’t so bad. By the time one finally comes around to a band such as this they’ve had time to refine their sound and let that identify mature for a bit.

Last edited:

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They are sooooo good.

His riffs are insane.

They are tech death fo sho.

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
Welcome to the club - fairly recent member myself. Dave (Davidson) basically is Revocation, and yeah man’s got riffs for days. I’d say the weakest link is the vocals and even they’re perfectly serviceable/not at all annoying.

How would you classify them @KnightBrolaire, jazzy-prog-thrash-death?

EDIT: And life under a (musical) rock isn’t so bad. By the time one finally comes around to a band such as this they’ve had time to refine their sound and let that identify mature for a bit.
I just call them tech death with a dash of jazz. Dave said in an interview he just thinks of Revocation as death metal/tech death iirc. His stuff in Gargoyl is more what I would consider proggy.

Quiet Coil

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
I just call them tech death with a dash of jazz. Dave said in an interview he just thinks of Revocation as death metal/tech death iirc. His stuff in Gargoyl is more what I would consider proggy.
I’m totally genre illiterate anyhow. I do need to go back and give Gargoyl another chance.

Ataraxia2320

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Deathless is absolute perfection. Their other albums are also good but that one takes the cake for me.

If you don't know them I would also recommend Havok if you want your thrash itch scratched.

buriedoutback

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I only ever hear good things about Revocation. I should give them a serious listen.

I think I actually saw them live in Toronto a few years ago... Archspire opened ( I went to see Archspire ) and I think after them I was just riffed-out and couldn't give Revocation a proper viewing.

That sig jackson looks fucking incredible!!

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Dave and Dan are both beasts. I didn't realize until just now that Dan left last year, which kind of makes me sad. Either way, both of them can write some awesome riffs. I've seen Revo live a few times and they're always tight as fuck. Great guitar tone as well. Between the Jackson Loomis model and the Dave Dave Warrior I've been having to really exercise a bit of restraint in not picking one up. A few personal favorite songs of mine.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have 6 of their songs on my all time favorite lists and for a tech band I really do like their vocals and the vocal moments. Their lyrics don't suck even though you know it's all about the riffs and solos, and it feels like so much of the band is important and cohesive. Like they even have a solid bassist and mix them well. It's insane. Love the band, the groove is immaculate. Their style is so unique and recognizable but so different album to album.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Can someone help me? I DON'T like Revocation.

Dave is such a rad dude, we have chatted about guitars and Ironbirds specifically and just music in general for years but I've never been able to get into the band, I blame the vocals more than anything.

What do I need to check out to really push me over the edge. I also JUST got into The Faceless after many years of just not getting it, but it clicked a few days ago.

Help! I want to love them!

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can someone help me? I DON'T like Revocation.

Dave is such a rad dude, we have chatted about guitars and Ironbirds specifically and just music in general for years but I've never been able to get into the band, I blame the vocals more than anything.

What do I need to check out to really push me over the edge. I also JUST got into The Faceless after many years of just not getting it, but it clicked a few days ago.

Help! I want to love them!

lol dont force it man, the great part about music is that you don't have to like everyone and there are probably lots of other bands you like and will like but havent discovered yet.

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Massive Revocation fan here since I saw the guys at MetalSucks list Dave as their #1 guitarist. I was hooked after I checked them out and have been pre-ordering all their shit the second it comes out since then. The riffs and solos are always solid and many are deceptively tricky to play. Dave's incorporation of jazz is seamless and a perfect stylist choice to accompany the innate heaviness of the music. When I hear his solos, you can pick out his influences such as Marty, Dime, Dan Mongrain, etc... It doesn't hurt that nearly every solo is tasteful and unique.

When Jackson announced the custom shop run of Dave's charcoal ash warrior in 2016, I got in the queue without hesitation:
16835980_10110383224736211_1994413543734818015_o.jpg

I'm also excited their back in the studio and can't wait to jam their new material!