Replacements for Peavey Torsion Rod Wrench

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
So I wound up getting this early 90s Peavey and it arrived in a pretty unplayable state, and I fixed some of the things but the neck is bowed back too much. I went to adjust the truss, only to find that the truss rod nut is waaay down there! Way past what my usual tools can get to - I can barely see it. I was a bit worried at first but then after some googling, it appears that this is just how they were made, and Peavey made a special tool called the "torsion rod wrench":

It's basically a thin-walled 5/16", but the specific shape gets it way down there, past what any standard tools seem to do. Peavey used to sell these for $5, then stopped apparently recommended some tool from stewmac that also seems to be missing / dead-linked, so I can't even really see what the alternate tool looked like. So basically just curious if anyone knows a good potential replacement for this?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How much clearance do you need? Have you tried a standard "t" wrench? Not the bit driver style, but the one piece type.

Have you tried reaching out to @USMarine75? He's quite the Peavey nut. I could see him having a couple of these laying around.

narad

Reaction score
Yea, I haven't seen him for forever, but definitely reached out in advance of me buying this one because it's way up on his want list IIRC. But no reply, so had to go for it myself :D

By "t" wrench, you mean this style?

webike_23336078

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
That's the type, though I recommend double-checking your headstock clearances/angle to make sure it'll work. I've had a few that weren't long enough to clear certain headstock shapes.

narad

Reaction score
I'm not seeing any super long ones, do you think this would work, unknown clearance aside?

51TypiJQQyS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

5103+USf+9S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
It might be weird, but maybe try a local hardware place that will let you try a couple? I'd bring the guitar over if there's one close and just explain to the guys there. Otherwise you might be doing a lot of trial and error to get one to fit.

narad

Reaction score
Yea, I was able to construct a long straight T wrench into a thin-walled 5/16", but the angle of the truss nut (which is like straight) vs the lowest angle that the bar can come in at given the truss rod route in the headstock doesn't allow me to connect to the nut and turn. I could possibly turn it around the top half but that just seems like a bad idea.

I bought an L shaped 1/4" wrench, should be here tomorrow. It'll be pretty close in general shape to the torsion rod, but maybe the short part of the L is going to be a bit long and may exceed the truss route in the headstock, and be equally as bad as what I have now. Guess we'll see. That's about the closest I can do though.

I may try 3D printing something if it takes more than a month to find a solution.