Replacement Pickups for an Epi Les Paul

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by zerofocus, Oct 14, 2013.

1. zerofocus

zerofocus SS.org Regular

Hi I'm looking for new pickups in my Epiphone Goth Les Paul

I find the pickups to be really muddy and the neck pickup being so muddy its not very useful

its an all mahogany guitar

I'm playing ambient/electronic music so I need something thats really smooth but really clear too

Heres an idea of my kinda stuff:
    https://soundcloud.com/ryuss-form

so I'm open to any suggestions

2. Wrecklyss

Wrecklyss SS.org Regular

For clarity and touch responsiveness, i found that a P90 in the neck and a medium hot bridge pickup work very well together. If you have of feel ambitious enough to add a push/pull to your guitar, you can coil tap, switch phase, or series/parallel switch your pickups. A few i would suggest looking into:

Neck:
    Gibson P94
    SD Phat Cat
    SD P Rails
    SD '59
    Tom Anderson H1
    Dimarzio Liquid Fire

Bridge:
    Tom Anderson H2+
    SD JB
    SD P Rails
    Dimarzio Crunchlab

3. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

i really like the crunch lab, even in mahogany, but i had to really crank the highs because i feel they are a little rolled off. I think its the mahogany body that is the reason for it...either way its a great pickup with lots of clarity. Just need to EQ your set up properly.

4. zerofocus

zerofocus SS.org Regular

The Dimarzio's have been on my watch list for a while but I've never had chance to try one so I was a little worried to commit. Interested in the idea of a P90 too

yeah the mahogany is very warm sounding naturally so it probably would cause it to sound a little duller