Releasing singles vs. EP's vs LP's in todays musical climate

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MetalHex, Apr 3, 2019.

1. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

You are late to the party as stated as this has already been clarified. But thanks anyways.

To speculate, maybe Gen Z stands for "zombie"?

It would be quite fitting. Sure every generation has stupid kids who follow stupid and dangerous trends but what seperates this new generation is they constantly have a brainwashing/distracting/propagandizing cell phone glued to their face.

End off topic rant

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Simply not the case, or every page would be posting daily.

XPT707FX likes this.
  3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Lots/most do on IG or twitter, or they're going live on IG. If we're talking FB, then it doesn't really matter because unless you're paying 80% of content gets pushed down the feed anyways.

4. budda

I worded it poorly.

Daily posts are one thing, spamming your latest thing is another. One is repetative. The thing that actually works on social media is getting other people to like and repost your stuff. Audiences dont really grow without engagement, and spamming doesnt really get engagement on the repeat posts.

XPT707FX likes this.
  5. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

I agree, over-saturating is not good, but it seems almost impossible to do it. Sure specific sites can be on an individual basis, but when talking about the entire market (internet, stores, tv, radio etc) that seems almost impossible, except for the really well backed artists by major labels with a ton of money to put into it. I'm sure it is easy to over saturate for certain genres and locally though. That's the local band you get sick of hearing about opening for every act coming through town every weekend and they never seem to get any further, which is still a respectable accomplishment, but there's almost no reason to advertise anymore because everyone already knows who they are and have already seen them. Bands like Kiss are over saturated and rich because of it. I'm not a big Kiss fan, but they know how to make money. I'd rather be poor and happy making my music than rich and pandering to an audience. I would hate for music to ever feel like just another day job I hate. I don't ever want to look at my guitar and feel pissed off or angry about having to play it. Sorry to get off topic.

XPT707FX likes this.
  6. budda

When it comes to doing it "for real" it becomes an actual job. People tend to forget this fact :lol:.

XPT707FX likes this.
  7. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

I agree. Certainly it's an actual job and a lot of hard work, more than many other jobs for sure, lots of stress, usually for little return on investment, but point being if you look at playing with contempt your art will and the joy of it will suffer.

For all the hard work you have to put into something like this, someone is much better off putting the energy into a career that has a higher success rate and pays better. Practically any other field or career will pay better and have more probability of success if investing the same amount of energy and time than a career in music. If someone looks at making music or playing with contempt, then they have missed the entire point.

If it is only for the money, then from a purely business point of view, guitar music is not what to be making, or playing an instrument for that matter. The money is in music business law or executive work, or even recruiting little pop girls and little hip hop wannabe kids' parents as a producer, making pop songs for them to sing and rap over. Seek out the parents of these children and take their money by trying to make their kids into "stars". Easier and more profitable than launching a metal band imo.

I could have been an engineer in a popular studio here many years ago. I really thought I wanted it. Before the time I was done with my internship, I realized even though that would be a kick ass job, I didn't want to do that for any music I wasn't in to. I couldn't stand hearing the same country or hip hop over and over again. I do like some county and hip hop, but not most of what I hear especially the local talent trying to be big time. Hearing the same phrases and parts while mixing and repeating them over and over again made me want to kill. It was stuck in my head at night when I went to sleep and seriously was affecting my playing and creativity. I couldn't do this job unless it was a project I really liked, but the job part is that 95% of I don't like. It would drive me crazy, so I gave up an engineering gig, and many live sound gigs too to keep my sanity and my creativity for my own music.

XPT707FX, FILTHnFEAR and KailM like this.
  8. budda

And yet we still have new bands who tour :lol:

That's kind of the thing. Everyone *knows* they are going to lose money on it, but since they feel a need to do it, they do it anyway. That's how you know they aren't doing it for money - there isn't much available.

XPT707FX, FILTHnFEAR and c7spheres like this.
  9. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

Yep, Artists do it because of need, not want.

10. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Which day of the week is best to release a debut single? Curious what you guys think. It probably doesnt matter for a new band with basically no following yet..

11. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

As someone born in 1999, I honestly don't understand the notion that people don't listen to/buy albums as often as they used to. Sure the top hits have the most amount of streams and top selling new albums (pure sales, no individual streams) barely hit 100k in the first few weeks, but does that mean the LP format has gone the way of the dinosaur? Very far from it. It's an integral part of the music industry as a whole and I can't imagine how one would work without it.

XPT707FX, zappatton2 and MetalHex like this.
  12. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

Here's some words from someone actually doing it

Mathemagician likes this.
  13. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

There's really no wrong answer, but I'll say that I really liked it when most music was released on Tuesdays. Friday through Sunday, people are busy recreationally; Monday people are busy with work; Tueday-Thursday perhaps less busy- time to check out some new music or (back in the day) go to the store.

14. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Dude, this is a completely garbage way to understand an entire generation based on their humor and how you perceive children acting in the period where they are very much allowed to be as immature and irresponsible as they're ever going to be. Your parents felt that same way about your generation and so on and so forth.

Someone else mentioned it, but "Zoomers" are going to be vastly more politically involved sooner than previous generations were, and as distracting as you think having a phone is. They're absorbing information at an insane rate, my best friend's little brother just turned 15 and he's asking me about software development concepts and coding terminology, and he's actually extremely bright. He's also one of those ironic tide pod/fortnite kids, but he has more potential than half of millennials ever had at the same age. It's easy to mock kids being kids, but I think it's more fair to disregard how goofy they are and the weird humor they share and judge their generation when they actually start contributing to society.

tl;dr Older generation consistently thinks younger generation is weird and going down the wrong path :rolleyes:

As far as the marketing and release schedule strategies, a few people said it. Genre dependent, and our niche little hole in the internet isn't a good indicator of how to approach music. This forum is grounded in metal/prog, and we have guys like Plini who went from a soundcloud with dozens up dozens of song ideas being released regularly to a discography riddled with singles, EPs, and only one LP. He achieved massive success, and there's bands on the flipside that achieve success releasing LPs.

You have to innovate and surprise your fans, if you just follow some typical release schedule and plan that you've seen work for others in the past then you're just following and hoping it works out. Nowadays I'm finding people who are more genuine with their work and exude passion for what they're working on are the ones who find massive success, even if it takes them several years to be found and built up to that point.

I'm guessing you have 150 - 500 followers on Facebook and you're already concerned about this stuff when you don't even have a single song out. You're already in over your head, focus on the music and release your music sensibly while interacting with the people who show interest genuinely. Slow build up with a group of folks that LOVE your music is better than having a small army of people who were just following your band out of courtesy and never checking your band out again.

15. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Actually i checked and we only have like 90 likes lmao. I thought we had alot more for some reason. We are releasing our first single in a week and since we are looking for a second guitarist, we think that we will be able to find one pretty quickly once they have something to hear.

I should reiterate that I dont want a small army of people who follow us out of pity, and i want fans who truly like our music, but like i said it would be cool to play a show in front of more than 10 people for once.

I disagree about your "zoomers" philosophy. Well, I see your points but I dont think it is necessarily a good thing that these kids are politically involved and so technologically developed.

16. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I wouldn't focus on this whole marketing strategy until July when you have the rest of the music recorded and you can start planning your actions. Even then I personally wouldn't let that cross my mind.

And honestly, everyone's played shows to a crowd of >5 where 2 or 3 of those folks are related to you in some way, those 10+ shows come with earnest time put into all of this. Try networking with other bands in your area and booking shows yourself with those connections, there's a reason people push scenes because you typically build each other up as much as possible.

As far as the Zoomers thing, how would it not be a good thing to have children learn about the technology and politics at an early age? Being educated earlier in life is certainly not a bad thing, I wish I was more politically inclined at 14/15 than I was. The world is changing and any kid who stays away from real world discussion points like that will see themselves out of it when they hit late Middle School/High School when they're lost in conversations they have no understanding of.

XPT707FX and Mathemagician like this.
  17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Anyone who thinks Gen Z is “dumb” is fucking blind. Like outright willfully ignorant on a “climate change isn’t real” level of ignoring facts.

Those kids grew up never needing to believe in fairy tales because all the worlds information was available to them at all times.

If they had a question they could just google it. They also grew up being able to look up things like “how to be a hockey player” and start watching YouTube videos on the basics without mom & dad having to even hire a coach yet.

They aren’t “zombies“, they just have friends everywhere and are in constant contact with them, where’s older generations tend to be friends with like 5 people they live around so they can meet up in person.

It’s annoying that they snap-gram-Venmo-chat everything. But when I was a kid we texted 24/7. Gen X kids would have 3+ hour phone calls with friends. Before that kids would just disappear for hours then show up for dinner.

And every generation of kids is allowed to like stupid shit.

Frankly millennials brought attention to a lot of things but still refused to vote. We had abysmal numbers in elections and now the Gen Z kids all have opinions on things and are active, even if they’re views differ from mine at least they are involved.

Also sign up for Facebook/Instagram analytics. It should be baseline for business pages, but if it’s not and you’re serious about your band/brand just pay for the info. It will help you figure out where your highest returns are coming from.

18. GunpointMetal

Ha, some of the Gen Z humor is so uber-meta that a lot of us older millenials have to actually do research to understand a damn meme, and then we're like "Oh those stupid kids, go eat a tide pod."

19. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

The day I had to look up what “On Fleek” meant (on point, not too big a stretch) was the day I knew my days of being hip were numbered. I googled it. Like a grandpas.

zappatton2, MerlinTKD, TedEH and 2 others like this.
  20. GunpointMetal

OT, but I feel like people around my age (30-40) got to see our parents/grandparents still "living the dream" of getting a real raise every year, buying a house that didn't cost $350k, actually having credit basically thrown at you, and that's just not the reality for a lot of us and our response was more along the lines of "fuck it, guess I'll just die" instead of trying to do anything about it, lol.