Red anodised aluminium neck, Shou-sugi ban telecaster body

sojorel

Scourge
Reaction score
1a.jpg 2b.jpg 3c.jpg 4d.jpg

I ordered the neck from Baguley guitars - it's pretty great!
Locking sperzel tuners, quite thin - 19mm.

I made the body myself with traditional japanese wood fired technique.

Pickups are dimarzio dominion set and graphtech saddles

iamaom

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've always wondered: are metal necks cold when you first pick them up? Like instead of warming up your fingers do you have to warm up the neck before you can play anything complex?

sonoftheoldnorth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've got 3 shou sugi ban (though dorks will tell you that term is wrong and it's yakisugi or something) guitars and finished them with some oils, none of them have came out as well as that tele. It looks smooth and shiny. What did you finish it with? Looks great

olejason

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've always wondered: are metal necks cold when you first pick them up? Like instead of warming up your fingers do you have to warm up the neck before you can play anything complex?

They can get ridiculously cold in cool environments. You don't necessarily have to warm them up before playing anything complex but they can be uncomfortably cold for some people. A friend of mine moved on from them for that specific reason. He was touring and doing festivals and there wasn't always time to get the guitar back to room temperature before playing.

Probably only an issue for very few people though.

sojorel

Scourge
Reaction score
I've got 3 shou sugi ban (though dorks will tell you that term is wrong and it's yakisugi or something) guitars and finished them with some oils, none of them have came out as well as that tele. It looks smooth and shiny. What did you finish it with? Looks great
Thanks!

I've done a few furniture projects in the same style and get pretty similar results regardless of the finish. I've used several different varnishes and hardwax oils.

This guitar is with whittle waxes hardwax oil. My process is several chars to get very deep ribbing, and sanded with a sponge sander. A couple of hardwax oil coats, then sand with 240, 400, 800 or something, then a wax polish to finish.

Here is a cabinet I made with varnish and the same approach, and looks pretty similar. Very reproduceable - what process are you using to finish? box3.jpg

box1.jpg

Latest posts