Randall Satan 50 already discontinued?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by LeftOurEyes, May 9, 2019.

1. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Imagine a guitar you lusted for years pops up at a great price, but you just bought another one months ago and you're short on cash. Now or never.

I chose now, and I just have comfortable payments each month lol.

Descent likes this.
  2. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

There’s so much cheap yet quality stuff on the used market, if you know what you want you can get a killer rig for not that much. You certainly don’t need to be rich to have quality gear.

A lot of times with so-called 0% financing they hide fees elsewhere. When I bought my phone (iPhone 7), I could buy the phone outright from Apple and buy a sim-only plan from a provider, or a could finance the phone from a provider on a ‘0% interest for two years’ deal. Except in the cost breakdown, the mobile plan was more expensive than sim-only, and the phone cost was a few hundred more than if I bought it outright. So I saved a few hundred and did that.

I appreciate that isn’t the case with much financed gear at 0% since the price is the same either way. Just something to keep in mind in other aspects of life when you think you’re getting a free lunch.

I presume the logic behind 0% interest financing on high-dollar gear, is it convinces people to make a purchase they may not, if they had to see that full lump sum leave their bank account. Or maybe makes it easier for people to upgrade to that thing they probably couldn’t afford since it’s only $x more per month.

3. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

With the 0% financing in most cases they 'hide the fees' by charging the shop a percentage, I know my local decent shop doesn't love it, but at the same time they reckon they would barely sell anything without it.

Dark Aegis likes this.
  4. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I'm old enough to remember putting gear on layaway, got my first Marshall stack that way. 3 payments, 3 months. They didn't charge me extra. Big local independent store that since closed.

5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I still put shit on layaway!

Mostly just used stuff at my local guitar center though, nothing crazy expensive either.

Descent likes this.
  6. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Ola left Randall.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Don't blame him. Randall seemed lost without Fortin, just like when Bruce left.

I mean I get he probably also wants more freedom to play any amp he wants (says so in the video), but the Satan 50 was the last amp they released, and that was after a couple of years of silence. And they haven't done anything since then. AND it was discontinued after only a year or two.

setsuna7 likes this.
  8. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Not blaming, just sharing this information because I remembered this thread :) It will be interesting what's coming next.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

I mean the part of him leaving Randall. The writing was on the wall since Randall didn't have anything in the works.

10. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

He did say that it's not that he doesn't like the Satan and won't continue to use it, it's like you said, he just wants the freedom to be able to use whatever amp he wants in any context he wants, be it live, on demo videos, etc... With all of the companies being bought & sold these days, it's almost impossible to tell which ones are genuinely 'done' making stuff or which ones are just 'taking a break' from things and using that time to restructure and possibly come up with some new designs.

It'd be nice to think that Randall is just kind of laying low for now and possibly coming up with some new ideas but the longer they go without anything new, the harder it's going to be for them to get any kind of traction when they do because everyone will be "who is Randall again and when was the last time they made anything decent ? "

Kinda like Digitech. They released the GSP1101 and got themselves a really nice foothold in modeling circles and it kinda all went to waste because the only thing they ever followed it up with was those horrible Elements pedals.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

In context, Randall isn't in good shape.

Other companies in Randall's parent company aren't in great shape either.

As said, Randall's been borderline dead ever since Fortin left
    Washburn's been the same ever since Ola left
    And Parker guitars has been dead for years.

Also Digitech kinda carved out a new niche. They tried to go for digital single-effect pedals after ditching the amp modeling thing went flat. Kinda went along with DOD releasing analog pedals.

But after Samsung bought Harman, it seems like they decided to scrap most of the guitar stuff.

setsuna7 and Spinedriver like this.
  12. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Well I made an assumption early today on Ola FB Group about probably an Amp or Pedal or VST but sold by Ola (as Solar brand) and Mike Fortin put a Like on it... not only on me but on others that assumed similar... so take it as you see fit ;)

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

Probably a Neural DSP based on the Satan.
    But I wouldn't be surprised if either a Fortin Ola sig is in the works, or Ola tries to release a Solar amp.

14. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

If I were Ola, I probably wouldn’t be super happy about Randall’s terrible distribution. I don’t think I ever saw them in stock anywhere in the U.K. or EU, even online it was a special order thing.

I think he’s spoken before about making Solar amps (this was a long while ago) and if I remember right, he said he didn’t think he ever would because of how the amp market is shrinking and is hard to make a profit in, or something like that.

Especially as he uses an AX8 live, and uses his laptop and an interface at smaller things, maybe he’ll do some sort of analog pedal preamp or something. Those seem to be all the rage at the moment.

Or maybe just a Satan plugin like said above.

15. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Yeah most certain a VST but Ola also is always looking for the next Fly Gig rig... that's why I mentioned maybe a Pedal.

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

Fortin always talked about wanting to do a preamp pedal,or an actual amp in a pedal. So I wouldn't be surprised if a pedal amp/preamp would be the next project.

17. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

That's what's making me wonder. The Freq-Out, Boneshaker, Drop, etc.. pedals all came out a few years ago. Just last year (after all of those pedals had come out), the entire R&D dept. of Digitech were let go. I'm just curious if they're still working on new pedals or if they're in the same spot Randall is, in that they're still a functioning company (as such) but they just don't seem to be working on anything new (no booth at winter or summer NAMM, etc...).

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

Probably the Latter. I doubt as a company Digitech is anymore. Harman probably laid them off because IIRC, Samsung just wanted them for their home/car audio tech I believe? I don't remember exactly.

Spinedriver likes this.
  19. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

That Hardwire series was fantastic. They do seem dead now.

Kind of surprising to hear Ola used all plugins for his solo release. The guy that we all revere for getting awesome metal amp tones doesn't give a f*ck when it comes time to do his own release and goes with plugins?! Oh, how I've wasted my tube amp dollars, lol!

Randall sucks. They are the kings of revealing an awesome new product only to drag their feet for years to (and sometimes never) release. They had Mike FORTIN on board and lost him rather quickly. Awful. Their only chance is to re-release some vintage solid state Dimebag amps cheap-cheap because I think they are all but done as a quality tube option.

buriedoutback likes this.
  20. HeHasTheJazzHands

ngl, if Randall releases an RG100ES/RG100HT reissue next year for the 20th anniversary of CFH, they'd make fucking bank.

...Or not, because they wouldn't make it to the shops until the 20th anniversary of VDoP, when they announce a 20th anniversay Century 200II... which won't see the light of day until the 20th annversay of FBD... You get what I mean.