RAN guitars offline. Did they close? Update: Trouble Relocating

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by chopeth, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slippery_Pete

Slippery_Pete SS.org Regular

I would replace the word “value” with two words, “forum cred”. I’m sure they are awesome guitars but let’s be honest. It’s mostly about Hetfield endorsing him.

2liveis2die35, manu80 and Wolfhorsky like this.
  2. sezna

sezna undermotivated

I think it is more about the discourse occasionally turning aggressive, but yeah if we can keep it civil I'm down

Wolfhorsky and XPT707FX like this.
  3. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Well, I've bought 2, and I've spent 1000x more time chasing Eric Johnson than Hetfield's (and not really been into anything Metallica's done in 20 years). Obviously Hetfield got the word out on this, but Ken's been building basses for 30 years, explorers in small batches, finishes about 20 every 2.5 years. And the resulting instruments are at the absolute highest tier in terms of craftsmanship IMO, and experience in owning many other things that people consistently rate above Gibson or Ran.

This is off track, but you'd be doing a disservice by saying people are buying them because of Hetfield, and not because Ken's an incredibly dedicated and experienced independent builder.

4. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

The problem with everything in the world practically, is the law and the income inequality crap. The answer of work harder is only a temporary fix for a few. If everyone in the world was really smart and rich then there would still be the same amount of poor and destitute people, because it's how people are. We are all mentally ill in our own customized perverted way.

Your example of sending a cease and desist order. That's great if you can actually get it enforced but the likelihood is almost nothing unless you have the money to enforce it, legally. The probability is that the legal enforcement would cost more than the loss unless you are a very large manufacturer, so once again the little guy is screwed and big guy gets away with it. Rights and protections are a commodity which are given to the highest bidder. The legal system is a whore that has no morals or ethics and is not repairable. That is my severly dystopic view. I don't have the money to send Ibanez or Ran or Daemoness a cease and desist to stop copying my Carved top soloist design, and if I did I wouldn't becuase I don't care, but I can prove I was the first by a long shot. At at least 5 years ahead of all of them. I mean how come nobody will take you serious if your just little old me but when my big money enters the equation all of a sudden I'm legit. I can subcontract anyone I want to build anything I want whether it's legal or not. Not that I would. It depends, honestly. I am a moral and ethical person, more than most, for sure, but the reality is that moral and ethics never really existed on a large scale, only in individuals. The fact is that everyone will do anything they want for their own interest. Ibanez elevated itself by theft from Gibson, Tesla lies about caring for the environment while later switching to combustion engine cars and rockets that tear literally 500 miles holes in the Ozone and nobody gives a shit and it's only a blip on the news then goes away. This is how all things are. All great abundance comes from great scarcity, usually. I'm leaving now before I really get cynical, but understand I'm not slamming or disagreeing with anyone here. I actually agree with everything everyone has said. Everyone is right imo.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Wolfhorsky and Edika like this.
  5. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I wish I'd never opened this thread in spite of the info/second chance we thankfully got thanks to Skervesen. Please, mods.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

I wish the best for Ran and hope they can get back to making kick ass guitars. I would love to commision a build someday. Probably the best customs for the money. Even though I never played one, I like everything I've seen from them. I've only heard good things about theier guitars and customer experiences and had a good experience when I had questions before I narrowly missed putting down a deposit. I wish there was someone in the U.S. that was doing exactly what they do. Especialy if they made paddle headstocks and Wizard neck profiles so it could be finished off by local luthier with whatever headstock you want.

7. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

Congratulations on summing up the entirety of SSO in 13 words.

Xaios, MiPwnYew, MerlinTKD and 22 others like this.
  8. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

A close 2nd on the list would be "The best guitar I've ever played. Just thinning out the herd. Reverb link:"

SDMFVan, Xaios, MiPwnYew and 14 others like this.
  9. Slippery_Pete

Slippery_Pete SS.org Regular

The best is when someone posts a new gear day YouTube video and gushes over how amazing it is. Then the next day it’s on Reverb.

Ribboz, crg123, Kovah and 2 others like this.
  10. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

Great argument.

Shrimp cocktail is absolutely delicious from everything I’ve seen, even though I haven’t tasted it.

11. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Unfortunately this is the internet so i'm gonna have to disagree with you. Even tho i haven't tried it either...

The906 likes this.
  12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I love shrimp cocktail, but hate shrimp. It's great on a grilled cheese with cheddar.

13. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

I was just using that as an example. Take it from Bubba, shrimp is amazing in its many forms.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  14. Soya

Soya Poor person

Its my favorite move in jiu jitsu.

15. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

Haha, Very funny! :) I knew someone would point that out! Here's my revised/corrected statement: I wish the best for Ran and hope they can get back to making kick ass guitars. I would love to commission a build someday. Probably the best customs for the money if all the hype around them is true. Even though I never played one, I like everything I've seen from them. I've only heard good things about thier guitars and customer experiences and had a good experience when I had questions before I narrowly missed putting down a deposit. I wish there was someone in the U.S. that was doing exactly what they do. Especialy if they made paddle headstocks and Wizard neck profiles so it could be finished off by local luthier with whatever headstock you want.

Smartass : )

16. Kleks

Kleks Member

Fookin nonsense all of it.

How about a bit respect for OP you morons???

c7spheres likes this.
  17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

+1, Yea guys, where do you think you are? Some sort of fun place where you can joke around with each other? Jeez!

18. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Can a mod please clean this mess so people actually affected by this issue don't have to swim through pages of people fighting each other for something off-topic?

19. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Why don't we just have a thread for RAN troubles updates? I think the majority of the banter here is interesting.

20. Kleks

Kleks Member

This is thread for RAN troubles updates.

Why don't you just open another one for your irrelevant crap-talk?

LeviathanKiller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.