RAN guitars offline. Did they close? Update: Trouble Relocating

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by chopeth, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Yeah. This is going off topic, but look at companies like Thermo Fischer. That company is basically only a sum of its acquisitions! There's like 200 companies they own, and really have no R&D of their own these days. They are very proficient in scouting new companies and regularly buy new startups and younger companies' innovations to their product portfolio. It's really effective and probably the wisest way to operate such a company.

Guitars work differently, but it only makes sense that exactly what you described is happening :)

Talking about innovation, I wonder if some bigger company comes up with a mass-produced, cheaper version of a resin-guitar like Aristides, and in more traditional shapes (than Aristides). That could be something. Imagine a Jackson Soloist or an ESP Horizon that resonates like hell and sustains forever! :)

2. BlacKat Guitars

BlacKat Guitars SS.org Regular

We had a fairly big company (US Music Corp) acquire Parker guitars, this didn't work too well. Gibson owning Steinberger is another garbage fire.

oracles, Zhysick, Wolfhorsky and 3 others like this.
  3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Were either of those companies ever profitable? Parkers were incredibly expensive to build and no one would pay that price, and Steinberger was 3 decades before headless guitars caught on in any meaningful way.

It's not mismanagement if there's no market for this stuff.

Mathemagician and Merrekof like this.
  4. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

And Gibson is run by idiots, which doesn't help.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I mean if you acquire a company that has no market that’s mismanagement.

Dineley and aesthyrian like this.
  6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The rest of their brands aren't in such a pretty state. Randall and Washburn don't have a lot going on at all.

aesthyrian and BlacKat Guitars like this.
  7. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

I think you guys and gals are all doing a fantastic job in removing that fear, or at least reducing it significantly. Knowing that putting in a RAN order or a Skerv order, that it will come to fruition in some manner, is definitely a sigh of relief for a lot!

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  8. soldierkahn

this was the exact reason i even started researching into Ran, and then Daemoness. I wanted to find someone who could make pretty much what you posted, with ebony and trem lol. Ive always dreamed of "certain specs" and Ran was delivering all of those when they were making the aboves.... too bad i missed the train years and years ago. I want to give Daemoness a LOT of credit, because when I was talking with him and his reps, he was willing to nail EVERYTHING i asked for, minus the reverse Ibanez headstock. He was even willing to go as far as to have a Skype session with me so we could design one that was super close, but i ended up letting him know that waiting 5 years for the build, i could only endure that if i could get everything i was asking for. But .... ill never stop searching.

not only was he super supportive, he said he was actually excited with my build and dug my specs. i was in awe

narad and Albake21 like this.
  9. soldierkahn

following lol

c7spheres likes this.
  10. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

Wow, Wish I had those skills and tools. Do you build for others? I may be interested in the future of having a body clone built of my main guitar I posted above.

soldierkahn likes this.
  11. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Maybe when I get a bit better at the craft I'll start building stuff for others. As of right now, I'm still new and I'm just trying to better my craft.

soldierkahn likes this.
  12. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

Thanks!

13. soldierkahn

definitely cant hate on that. im still working out the bugs in making just a simple replacement body for my XL. Was gong to have someone else do it for a while, but with as rare as they are, i dont feel comfortable shipping them to someone and praying i get them back lol. about the only change im making spec wise is the bodywood, and im not routing for a trem.

14. Ziricote

Ziricote SS.org Regular

Wow I read this thread and very happy I never jump on custom run last year. Its funny how some guys tell other guys its ok give ran the break because they have hard time with luthiers and rent. I'm advise people to not give a shit about their reasons. The only thing you should give shit about is your money. Does your teacher care why you didnt do homework? If you are always late or dont go in to work, do your bosses care your reason? If I was customer here then I dont care reason, i only care my personal money. Skervesen try to make offers is just them try to capitalize on situations here. Nobody wants to be forced to buy Skervesen. Thats like buying something you dont want only because its on sale. That is how you waste money. For sure there is more than you know here going on. The Ran company took money and that is all that matters. Why it happen really doesnt matter. They not your friends, they took money. Go with large companies now. These small company luthiers arent worth hassles. It happens so often. For Poland I go with Mayones, or I go with the ESP, Schecter or maybe the Jackson shop! There are small luthiers who produce good stuff, but pick wisely and never accept excuses. Its always the smaller luthiers who have excuses. I advise luthiers to stop w the excuses. People want guitars or money back. If you cant produce either then you are a crook. There is only this way to look at it. Its business

Masoo2 likes this.
  15. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Easy, cowboy ;-)
    You have freedom of speech, but Your opinions are just Your opinions - not facts.
    Or should I say: You know shit and keep talkin’

Vyn likes this.
  16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I know there's a feeling of national pride for you guys, but if you, and anyone in here, continues to attack anyone who even so much as mentions another Polish builder you're all getting banned. Got it? Good.

17. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

When you deal with small luthiers you are dealing with people quite personally. Those people are subject to circumstances of life like sickness, and so on that tie them up where large companies just simply use another person or backup person. This is a huge con for dealing with small shops/luthiers BUT having such a personal relationship with them is also why many people choose them. You often talk directly to the person who's going to be hand-making your instrument and they are personally invested in seeing that you are happy with what they made you. For some people that's all worth it, for some people it's not. That is the advice I would give anyone considering this choice. Big shops did not simply exist spontaneously, they grew from small shops with customer interest. Some make it, some don't.

Also, no one is being forced to transfer their deposit to Skervesen or any other builder. It's just an easy-out option for those interested in such a thing.

18. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

No one is being forced to buy a Skerv. Plus they have a good reputation so even if you went that option you can always flip it.

19. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

They would get sued instantly Aristides, and rightfully so. Patents exist for a reason. :) They're expensive because of what goes into building them and the research it took to get there.

Also no other company would put their balls on your guitar and post it online. It really is amazing how far they go for you.

Zirocote - relax dude.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    XPT707FX, oracles, Ziricote and 2 others like this.
  20. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Yeah, get what you mean, but I didn't mean copying Aristides. I meant producing another kind of resin-guitar, or maybe whatever-the-heck-new-material guitar! :)
    Something radically different. Kinda like what Fishman did to pickups with their Fluences.

There's been very little innovation regarding guitar materials, that could be something big within the next decade.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.