Question for Laney IRT Studio/15H users: use this as a power amp?

mnit1965

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
With so many bells and whistles, i was wondering if i can i use the Laney IRT Studio as dedicated power amp to some of my rack preamps, sending the preamp output to the Laney's effects loop return? If so, will i get 5W of power, right? And any chance to change to 1W? I guess not, since it seems only an input function on the Laney's preamp, correct?

And is this the same on the IRT15H head, right?

ZeroS1gnol

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just try it. It should work I think, but I don't know why you assume it will only be 5W...care to explain?

Anarchia

Reaction score
Well the IRT studio is 15 w switchable to 1W...in practice yes you could send your preamps to the power section and run them fine. But as the power section is switchable via a 15w input and a 1w input, you would have to run your instrument through the preamp 1w input which would colour sound ...although I think you could just mute it by sticking a 1/4 jack adaptor in there and going through your external preamp as planned :)

mnit1965

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well the IRT studio is 15 w switchable to 1W...in practice yes you could send your preamps to the power section and run them fine. But as the power section is switchable via a 15w input and a 1w input, you would have to run your instrument through the preamp 1w input which would colour sound ...although I think you could just mute it by sticking a 1/4 jack adaptor in there and going through your external preamp as planned :)

So do you think that by default, without plugin in any 1/4 jack on the front, they will run fine and by 15W?

mnit1965

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just try it. It should work I think, but I don't know why you assume it will only be 5W...care to explain?

I don't have any of the heads, I'm just thinking getting one. And as i have many preamps, I'm wondering if they would run fine running them with the power amp section of these heads.

inactive0909

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One of my friends has irt studio it and I ran it through the clean section with my ht-blackfire, it sounded pretty brutal imo.
But anyways the answer to your question is no you cannot just use the power amp, there is no switch or button.
Tbh the tones you can get out of that thing are amazing, its uber versatile too!

Anarchia

Reaction score
Ugh ignore these responses. Yes you can run it into the effects loop in and the pre section will be bypassed. Just your preamp > jack > effects loop return and you're running at 15w like any other amp. If you wanted to run it 1w you could just put a dummy jack in the studio preamps input. SIMPLE

Stephen

Collibus
Reaction score
It does work yes, I've got 2 IRT Studios which sometimes I run at the same time, one as a master and one as a slave amp and the preamp of one goes into the effects return of the other.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Ugh ignore these responses. Yes you can run it into the effects loop in and the pre section will be bypassed. Just your preamp > jack > effects loop return and you're running at 15w like any other amp. If you wanted to run it 1w you could just put a dummy jack in the studio preamps input. SIMPLE

:yesway:

mnit1965

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Now we are talking! Thanks so much for your reply! :)

I am considering buying one of these and if I couldn't use my rack preamps with the power amp section would be a turn of.

mnit1965

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It does work yes, I've got 2 IRT Studios which sometimes I run at the same time, one as a master and one as a slave amp and the preamp of one goes into the effects return of the other.

Thanks! That's what i wanted to hear :)

mnit1965

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One more question for all you guys IRT Studio or 15H users...

From all the clips i've heard, it can do modern metal tones extremely well. But I'm a sucker for those late 80's/early 90's thrash metal sound and I've never heard a demo o the IRT doing this. You know, that tight palm muting stuff (think Overkill's Years Of Decay/Horrosrscope, Anthrax's Amonf The Living, Heathen, Forbidden, Testament, you get the picture...).

Would the IronHeart be suitable for this tight metal (late 80's - early 90's kinda thrash tone), or is it "too modern" sounding?

Also, the clean channel on the IRT Studio. Is it just "ok/passable" or do you consider it really great? I'm asking because i have a Telecaster and Gretsch, and besides metal being my thing, i also would love to have that great clean Fender type tone to bring out the twang of these guitars...

Thanks!

Stephen

Collibus
Reaction score
You mean these sort of tones?

Used an impulse response on this...

Preview of my bands album (Collibus) which i used the IRT Studio on with a Laney TT412S with Vintage 30's. Probably a bit more modern sounding this one though guitar tone wise.

Love the clean channel on it as well.

Anarchia

Reaction score
Check out a user on youtube called JackThammarat...he does a revamping video which throws down some very '80s tones...very RATT. IRT studio could certainly do it cranked.

Oh and someone gave me bad rep because my post was more informative than theirs -____-

mnit1965

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You mean these sort of tones?

Used an impulse response on this...

Preview of my bands album (Collibus) which i used the IRT Studio on with a Laney TT412S with Vintage 30's. Probably a bit more modern sounding this one though guitar tone wise.

Love the clean channel on it as well.

Awesome, thanks!

mnit1965

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Check out a user on youtube called JackThammarat...he does a revamping video which throws down some very '80s tones...very RATT. IRT studio could certainly do it cranked.

Oh and someone gave me bad rep because my post was more informative than theirs -____-

Just found it, great player and tone! Thanks for sharing and all the great info :)

Marat

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi all. I know this is an old thread but i am getting my irt soon and I have one more question about this

do the volume and/or eq controls on the slave amp still work in this case?

Petar Bogdanov

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi all. I know this is an old thread but i am getting my irt soon and I have one more question about this

do the volume and/or eq controls on the slave amp still work in this case?

Only the Tone, Dynamics and Reverb do. You might be looking for a dual-amp setup as opposed to a master-slave setup. For that, you will need to run a splitter before the amps, and all the effects in the loop should be stereo.