Purchasing US-only Ibanez outside of US

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Bilsteyn, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Bilsteyn

Bilsteyn New Member

Hi there,

hope this is the correct subforum for my question.

I stumbled upon this GRG and dig the design:
    Ibanez GRG7221m mlb
    [​IMG]

Anyway it's not being sold outside of the US. I searched the big online shops, as well as ebay and amazon, but none would offer a direct delivere here to germany. I think this is no more than a distributors issue, however I didn't get the german Ibanez distributor to answer me and also Thomann is unable to get this guitar. Also, I don't know anybody in the US well enough personally to ask them for help in this.

So I was curious if anybode else here outside the US did purchase a guitar by means of freight forwarding? Is there a freight forwarding service that is trustworthy and can be recommended?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Are you sure you want to put that much effort into a 200 dollar guitar. Freight forwarding and shipping is going to cost you almost 200 dollars.

3. Bilsteyn

Bilsteyn New Member

Thing is, there's not much of an alternative below 1600€ if you're into one of their sevenstrings with a maple fretboard.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You can try buying a used one on eBay or Reverb, I'm sure someone would be willing to ship one, totally not worth it in the least, but I'm not going to tell you what to do with your money.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

It might have a maple fretboard, but you'll otherwise be left with a guitar that is wanting in many other regards. I say that as someone who likes Ibanez. However, the Gio models have scattershot QC, which means you might end up with a nigh-unusable plank after paying double or more the actual price of the guitar once you pay shipping and import duties. If you have problems with the guitar once it's arrived and decide to ship it back, that's another cost that will be on you. Then, even if it is playable, the "Infinity" pickups that come in Ibanez's lower-end offerings are quite weak, and if you want to upgrade them, a new set of reputable pickups such as DiMarzios will likely be at least the same price as the actual guitar.

Is a cheap maple fretboard (because, let's be honest, Ibanez isn't throwing the same quality of wood on this as they are on a Prestige RG752) on a cheap guitar really worth all that?

For what it's worth, I too know the struggle of wanting US-only Ibanez guitars. Living in Canada, our nation-wide Ibanez distributer, Efkay, is utterly and completely useless. That, combined with the weak Canadian dollar, makes it an expensive proposition at best.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  6. diagrammatiks

Rgdir7m. You’ll be spending nearly the same amount after all the service and shipping charges.

7. Bilsteyn

Bilsteyn New Member

Thanks for the hint, but for some reason that very guitar doesn't meet my personal taste at all.

8. diagrammatiks

Do what you gotta do to get your shade of blue bb

9. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular