Pseudo-NGD: Evertuned Fender Blacktop Baritone Telecaster + mods

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by mulgreaux, Nov 17, 2013.

1. mulgreaux

mulgreaux Daemoness Guitars

This took a while but it's finally done! Skip to the photos if you don't wanna read my drawl about this guitar.

I've had this tele for about 18 months and during that time it's undergone a complete overhaul. I initially bought it for the purpose of trying out a 27" scale guitar. I was putting down a deposit for a Daemoness build and suspected that a baritone would be the way to go, but had never really had the chance to have a proper go on one. In my band I'd been playing a Universe as my main guitar for about ten years, but got to the point where I wasn't really into playing 7 strings any more. I still wanted to play in Bflat, so baritone seemed like the way to go. These teles had just been released and they were pretty cheap so I grabbed one for £459.

Unfortunately I hated the pickups, the bridge and the setup. However, I adjusted to the longer scale very quickly and I loved the string tension and the feel of the neck (which is a C shape and would be comfortable for anyone who likes playing a Fender strat). From playing this, I knew that my Daemoness was definitely going to have to be a baritone. I decided to treat this guitar as a very loose prototype of my prospective build so that I could test out the hardware and electronics I was thinking of going for. Obviously the shape is different, and the wood and build quality are a million miles away from a Daemoness, but it would give me the chance to try out these pickups and a compensated nut before my build commenced.

I got a local tech to fit a Bareknuckle Piledriver in the neck, a Painkiller in the bridge and omitted the middle pickup completely. He also fitted an Earvana nut and replaced the bridge saddles with some cold rolled steel saddles that some local dude had made. These mods significantly improved the guitar. It felt and sounded great- so much so that my band ended up using this as the main guitar for the recording of our album (which will be out earlyish 2014).

Then I found out about the Evertune bridge and knew I had to try one out. I couldn't get my hands on a guitar with one fitted locally to have a go on and I got tired of reading people's projections on this and other forums regarding the relevance and purported success of the bridge, so I decided to bite the bullet and just get one. I'd already bastardised this guitar beyond recognition and it wasn't precious to me in comparison with my other guitars so I had no problem with the idea of routing it out to fit the bridge. It took a while to organise, but I'm glad I did.

Believe the hype. Somehow (probably using voodoo) it does exactly what they say it does. I've spent a while trying to prove them wrong. I've carried the guitar around the house just by the strings, taken it out into the freezing cold then back into my (lovely) warm house and it's stayed perfectly in tune. It's also taken some serious punishment at a gig and survived- hilariously in tune. The intonation has improved significantly, the pitch doesn't waver when I pound the low strings and chords sound beautifully intonated all over the neck, even right up top. Making adjustments to the bridge couldn't be easier too. I could cream about it all day- it's easily the coolest piece of guitar technology I've come across in a long time. If you get the chance, try out an Evertune bridge.

My monitors have just died, but once I've replaced them I will make a video demo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Roland777

Roland777 SS.org Regular

Nice! Solid craftsmanship to whoever put it together as well! Now if these would only come in fanned fret format as well...

3. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

That looks pretty sweet man, nice mods! :D

4. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular

Sweet guitar, and an interesting read, too, so thanks for sharing your thoughts.

BTW what about the saddles? On the close-up pic, the gap between the 2nd and 3rd string seems bigger than the other ones.

5. projectjetfire

projectjetfire Guitar Addict

Come on Barnes, demo this shit yo!

6. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

That is awesome! I had one of these for about 8 months, ended up selling it. Never could get the low E to intonate properly, think the bridge was screwed up. Also, the stock pickups from Fender sucked as usual. I gave up and sold it. I did like the neck though and it wasn't a bad player. It just needed help that I wasn't willing to give it.

7. Cloudy

Cloudy Wood Labs Contributor

Two things I dream of being put together...dear lordy.

8. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

that is SO badass dude

9. BouhZik

BouhZik SS.org Regular

did you made the routing for the bridge yourself?

I saw two methods for this. the one on the evertune website with an army of templates, and this one that look simpler:

how do you did it?

what string gauge do you use for Bflat on the 27" scale?
    standard Bflat?

thanks!

10. mulgreaux

I can see what you mean on the photo. In reality I haven't had any problems with the string spacing. It might be possible to adjust it- I'd have to look into it or ask the guys at Evertune exactly how to go about it. I've had some contact with them during the planning stage of the installation and I can tell you that their customer service is excellent. Now that you've pointed it out it might bug me in future if I can feel it, in which case I'll have to do something about it but I have no qualms with it right now.

I didn't fit it! No skills for that, but the luthier that did fit it used the Evertune templates and followed their installation method.

11. BouhZik

BouhZik SS.org Regular

ok thanks!

what string gauge do you use for that tuning with that scale?

12. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular

Sorry man I was't meant to do that. :flame:

13. mulgreaux

Haha- no sweat.

14. mulgreaux

This is 27" scale tuned Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-F-Bb.
    The string gauges (if I remember correctly) are 72 52 36 26 19p 14p

15. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular

:eek: 72 must be TIGHT tuned Bb on a baritone. It was tight as it gets on my 7620, and that's a standard scale guitar. Sounds cool.

16. BouhZik

BouhZik SS.org Regular

yeah! really thick! 72 must be tight as fvck. Maybe that's the cause of the gap between the saddles.

17. mulgreaux

I don't find it very tight on here at all, but I like thick gauges. It's definitely not cumbersome though.

18. Charvel7string

Charvel7string SS.org Regular

that tape just makes it that much more badass!

19. BouhZik

BouhZik SS.org Regular

I'm very curious about that bridge with thick strings and low tunings.
    On the evertune website I can read this:

"EverTune can handle 009s to 011s in standard tuning. It can also handle 012s as long as they are the normal bottoms (as opposed to heavy bottoms). And we do have custom high and low tension saddles available. Thus EverTune can be customized to handle any string at any tuning.

The more technical answer is that each standard EverTune saddle can pull in the range of about 10 to 28 pounds. The custom high tension saddles go up to at least 50 pounds and the custom low tension saddles go down to 8 pounds. If we know the weight of the string and the note it should play and the scale length of our guitar then we know the tension it will need."

I'm surprise it work well for you. Do you put custom saddles?

20. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel 55.0r6 R36ul@r

Definitely a sweet axe you've wound up with there after all the mods, it's good to see a fellow Blacktop baritone Tele user on here. That .72 does sound like it might be tight, but I use a .70 on mine in drop-A, and it's not too bad. Happy (pseudo) NGD! :shred: