Post Your GAS

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Scar Symmetry, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time to pull some overtime at work.

Randy and SoundAsleep7 like this.
  2. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I just got a very high quality 7, so I’m good on guitars for the time being. I’m thinking it’s time for something high end on the amp side of things.

Debating an axe fx or maybe helix. I’ve been out of the amp game for a long time. Not even sure where to start

3. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

I’ve heard the helix has great cleans. That being said, I have an Axe FX II MKII. I love it. The versatility is really incredible. Id love to get the III for the color screen, but the updated the II to have the same modeling situation as the III. So, not yet for me.

As an aside my favorite bands use them (Deftones, Dir En Grey). Good enough for them, good enough for me!

SoundAsleep7 and Spicypickles like this.
  4. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I’m not a super “tweaker” as far as amps stuff goes, but I did have a line6 xpod or whatever that floor unit was, and once I got really good tones (to my ears) I was pretty set, and just jammed from then on. If something else tickled my fancy, i’d Make a new patch and tweak until it was solid then just jam. I was hoping the helix would be close enough to the other line 6 stuff to avoid the learning curve, but I’m willing to go the extra mile (or $500) to go axe if it’s that much better. Like I said, been outta the game for a hot minute

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire unofficial sso pickup tester

I kind of want to own a peavey xxx or triple recto again. those were fun amps.

6. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

Oh don’t get me wrong. I’m no tweaker either. I use 3/283 patches on my Axe FX haha.

I also have the Line6 Pod HD Pro X. While it’s fine as a preamp, I did not find it adequate for studio use, which is what I use my Axe FX for.

I’d say the helix and axe fx are probably about the same. You could get a used Axe FX probably for the same price as a new rack mount helix.

The only reason I got the Axe FX is because more bands that I like use the Axe FX. That’s, truthfully, the only reason.

7. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

If you can find a used AxeFX that's definitely the way to go. The Ultra/II/XL models are pretty easy to use, especially hooked up to a computer so you don't have to navigate the tiny LCD. As far as good tones go, the quickest workflow is basically find an amp you like -> put a tubescreamer in front of it, tone and drive on 0, level on 10 -> run it into one of the TV Mix 4x12 IRs with whatever mic you like.

The III is a different beast entirely, there's literally 2000 cab models to pick from and you can run up to four of them at once, effectively giving you 8000 options. Unless you have a very specific idea of what sound you're going for, it can be impossible to settle on anything. I fucking love mine.

8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I feel like this number is way off. Feel like it should be more like 600 or 700 billion options.

9. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

could be, I'm bad at math

10. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

I too am bad at math, but I think it's 160,000,000,000,000 (I may be off by a factor of 10... or just completely wrong:lol:).

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire unofficial sso pickup tester

assuming you can use the same cab for all 4 slots, it'd be 16×10^12 or 16,000,000,000,000 permutations.
    otherwise it'd be (2000!)/((2000-4)!) which i can't do on my phone :lol:

odibrom, MerlinTKD and StevenC like this.
  12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I just used 2000!/[4!(2000-4)!] because no point using the same cab 4 times in an Axe FX. Then there's additional choices for 1 cab, 2 cabs and 3 cabs, but they're so small it doesn't matter. 666,000,000,000!

odibrom and MerlinTKD like this.
  13. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I dislike the fact, it's an own brand bridge, own brand non locking tuners, and EMG's. But man I'm GAS'ing for one of these hard lately.

[​IMG]

14. The906

The906 Contributor

Well, if 6 billion humans had an AxeFX, that would mean 2,667 unique variations for each human. Tired of this cookie cutter bullshit.

MerlinTKD likes this.
  15. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

Axe FX-III is undoubtedly goat. I hesitated to say because I’m a kemper fanatic but it is the truth..kemper and helix are great, I think the hx stomp would be s good place to start....I wish someone recommended me that first because it’s s mini helix for $500...... also amplifier 6 is on sale for $500!! I’d go with hx stomp or amplifier 6 but I think that’s the wrong name ?

If you can afford the axe 3 get that...otherwise I know someone selling sn axe fx ii for $1150

16. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

I have the seven string version of this one in black. Really solid player! Bridge and tuners are fine, however for a guitar of this price tag you should aspect a little more fancy options. Don't like the EMG's thinking of swapping them, but don't now for what :)

17. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Try lowering the pickups as far away from the strings as they'll go. Found it helps with those style emgs. Preference really.

But yea at that price locking tuners would be nice at least

18. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

Thanks for the tip! will try it this weekend. And yeah locking tuners should be there at this price point indeed!

Oh and don't get me wrong, guitar sounds killer and I don't hate the EMG's, but every time I pick-up my ibby with dimarzio's or claas with the lace in them, i like them more, sound wise or how they react, don't know how to say it... so every time I play it before or after I play one of the others, I like to swap the pickups. If I just play it, i barley notice... Don't now how to put it, hope you know what I mean!

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  19. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can't get this thing out of my head. I love Hellboy/Mignola's art. I can't find a spec that's a deal killer. Plus it would be a great counterpoint to my more "vintagey" Sadowsky Jazz models.

Fuck it. I'm putting a deposit down right now.

Spicypickles, Randy, Nlelith and 7 others like this.
  20. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

Dingwall gas is a different thing altogether.

Randy and MerlinTKD like this.