Possible to make a 1” thick neck through?

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So inknow most necks start out as a 1” thick blank. Has anyone ever made a neck through where the body’s is 1” thick?

If not why?
What sort of challenges would I face other than being stuck with a fixed bridge and having to use shallow pickups?

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You know, I don't recall ever seeing a neck-through that thin, but I've seen plenty of set-neck guitars way thinner than 1"
Yo! Really? We’re the one-offs or models made by a small builder?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The Parker Fly, for example, was only 3/8" thick. It's a set neck, though, and carbon fiber exoskeleton'd. My Oni 8 string is about the same thickness, about 11 mm, and is the same deal, but my more traditional Oni is about 15/16" thick, and it's a set neck in a normal wooden body.

How thick are Aristedeses? Aristedi? I don't think I've ever had to use the plural before... I've never measured one.

I know that, like the Ibanez Saber is known for being thin, but is only actually thin around the edges, and that the SG, which used to be touted as thin is actually something like 1 1/4" thick. Those don't fit the bill. There have been a handful of weird expensive guitars that were super thin. The Gitler has essentially no body, so it's got to be thinner than even the Parkers.

DBZ and Blackmachines, I'm pretty sure, were thinner than 1".

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
The Parker Fly, for example, was only 3/8" thick. It's a set neck, though, and carbon fiber exoskeleton'd. My Oni 8 string is about the same thickness, about 11 mm, and is the same deal, but my more traditional Oni is about 15/16" thick, and it's a set neck in a normal wooden body.

How thick are Aristedeses? Aristedi? I don't think I've ever had to use the plural before... I've never measured one.

I know that, like the Ibanez Saber is known for being thin, but is only actually thin around the edges, and that the SG, which used to be touted as thin is actually something like 1 1/4" thick. Those don't fit the bill. There have been a handful of weird expensive guitars that were super thin. The Gitler has essentially no body, so it's got to be thinner than even the Parkers.

DBZ and Blackmachines, I'm pretty sure, were thinner than 1".
aristides are around 20mm thick for the body and the neck is around that with the fretboard attached.

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
This topic of thin bodies has been discussed on here some time ago. The real limiter is the switch because it requires the most body thickness. Pots and pickups don't require as much body thickness for their routes. The thinnest switch I've been able to find is the Alpha and it requires a 1.11" deep route. Add 0.25 so the body above/beneath the electronics cavity isn't paper thin, and you're left needing a body that's 1.36" (34.5mm) thick.

According to the Blackmachine website, the B2 is 32mm thick, but Doug uses toggle switches vs. blade switches. I've never used a toggle, but just found one on StewMac and it needs a 15/16" deep route. Minimum body thickness comes out to 1.1875" (30.16mm) after you add the 0.25". I'd say that is pushing the limits of thin bodies.

This is all assuming the shallowest 5-way out there is the Alpha. I'd definitely like to know if there are others available!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
This topic of thin bodies has been discussed on here some time ago. The real limiter is the switch because it requires the most body thickness. Pots and pickups don't require as much body thickness for their routes. The thinnest switch I've been able to find is the Alpha and it requires a 1.11" deep route. Add 0.25 so the body above/beneath the electronics cavity isn't paper thin, and you're left needing a body that's 1.36" (34.5mm) thick.

According to the Blackmachine website, the B2 is 32mm thick, but Doug uses toggle switches vs. blade switches. I've never used a toggle, but just found one on StewMac and it needs a 15/16" deep route. Minimum body thickness comes out to 1.1875" (30.16mm) after you add the 0.25". I'd say that is pushing the limits of thin bodies.

This is all assuming the shallowest 5-way out there is the Alpha. I'd definitely like to know if there are others available!

If that is the case then, can't you use a push/pull as your switch? Granted it would mean not being able to run both simultaneously, but personally don't ever use that position, so with a H/H route you could do a single control but something like an S/S/S setup would be a bit trickier.

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
Is it possible to use a slide switch (like from the Fender offsets) as a pickup selector? I see some come in 3-position.

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
I suppose you could use whatever switch you want. My opinion is there is diminishing return after you get past 32-35mm in body thickness. Any thinner is novelty in my opinion.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mini toggle pickup on-off and coil split switches should save depth compares to a 5-way, too.

There are also 5-way switches that are turned sideways, and actuated by a knob rather than a switch. I assume those are lower-profile, right?

Screenshot_20220622-132338_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
You can use pretty much any switch as a pickup selector switch. I've used a tiny dpdt before.
Same here.

BTW, the C&K Switches Parker used were regular on-on-on 3-way toggles and the body of the switch was only 0.35" deep. I think they are out of production, but there are a few on ebay

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Oh fuck, they also make rotary switches that you could use like PRS does, that'd allow you to also use a traditional pot vs. switch

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A 1" body should be doable, but introduces the risk of serious neck dive.

The Parker Fly, for example, was only 3/8" thick. It's a set neck, though, and carbon fiber exoskeleton'd. My Oni 8 string is about the same thickness, about 11 mm

Any pics at hand to show us that 11mm body? That's quite hard to believe given the size of standard components. BTW, a Parker Fly is WAY thicker than 3/8" which translates to 9.5mm. They use Switchcraft output jacks where the threaded "tube" already has a diameter of 12mm.

Last edited:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
A 1" body should be doable, but introduces the risk of serious neck dive.

Any pics at hand to show us that 11mm body? That's quite hard to believe given the size of standard components. BTW, a Parker Fly is WAY thicker than 3/8" which translates to 9.5mm. They use Switchcraft output jacks where the threaded "tube" already has a diameter of 12mm.
I guess I'm measuring thickness "wrong." I'll take some photos when I get home tonight; hopefully that'll explain. But most of these thin guitars are heavily contoured, such that the control cavities are thicker than the center of the body.

If you take thickness to mean the thickest part of the body, whether or not that's in the center, then I suppose you won't find many options at all.

The only way I see around that is to have no traditional electronics cavity. Maybe you could use a LiPo from a cell phone to power a Bluetooth module to communicate with some sort of receiver/control-box, and then you could make the guitar as thin as mechanically possible, but you'd still have some practical limitations with the pickups.

One of the ss.o builders, wayyy back, who shall remain unnamed, made really thin bodies and would mount the pickups to bolts that screwed in through the back of the body. I think that method is probably undesirable, but maybe a grounded metal strip could be epoxied into the bottom of the pickup cavity with nuts affixed such that short bolts could be used to mount the pickups securely enough, without having to deal with protrusions out the back of the guitar. Or, and maybe this is a wacky idea, but just use piezo and wirelessly broadcast the output of the piezos to a box that had something like a Variax brain inside of it.

I'm imagining a headless guitar. Instead of a bulky headpiece, have string ferrules at a 45° angle through the end of the neck (they'd obviously have to be custom made). Make the neck (neck-through) of carbon reinforced spruce with a fiberglass bearing strip for the truss rod. Glue on styrofoam (or aerogel if you want to get really tricky fancy) body wings. Rout just enough space for a LiPo from a cellphone or tablet and some sort of wireless communications board that sends the raw audio signals. Custom-make a bridge out of aluminium with titanium or lightweight carbide gears and boron nitride bearing surfaces, with a piezo pickup under each string (or, if you are going all-in, maybe barium titanate bearing surfaces - barium titanate is piezoelectric, so it could double as a pickup, and it's also fairly slick, so it'd make a decent saddle). Carve the body down as thin as possible. Cover the entire thing in carbon fibre and then vacuum bag it and epoxy it all over the neck and body wings. Bonus points if the cover to the cavity with the electronics is sealed watertight. You could, theoretically, make a guitar that would be maybe only 1/4" thick, and would easily weigh less than 1 kg (although saying "easily" here detracts from the difficulty in all of the previous steps, especially the part about designing a minimalistic headless bridge with built-in piezos, but that's not how I mean the word).

Maybe if I ever get the time, I'll start a kickstarter for all of this. :lol: I'd only need a couple million for the shop, CNC machines, furnaces, materials, and 2-3 years of full-time screwing around with everything to get it to work.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
That in mind, I think what needs to happen next is processor controlled volume/tone/pickup selectors. Digitally controlled analog devices. Ultra thin slider controls. Let's do it.