Pointy guitars and how they sit on guitar stands

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by MetalHex, May 15, 2019.

1. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

This is kind of a silly thread but I want to know which non-traditional (strat/lp/rounded bottom) guitars you have sitting in guitar stands, and/or do you just hang them on the wall or put them in a case.

I ask because I may want my next guitar to be a Rhoads or something else thats non strat shaped, and all of my guitars sit in guitar stands....either individual stands or a multi-guitar floor rack.

Whether it be a Rhoads V, King V, Explorer, Xiphos/Warrior/Dime....do you ever have them in individual stands? Is it awkward as hell? Do they lean to far and want to fall over? Does it inevitably damage the guitar? Does it look stupid? Do you have multiple guitars on stage with one of them on a stand or do you keep it in the case?

I see my buddies Explorer sitting in a stand and it looks like the ass end is just centimeters from touching the floor.

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

When I had a rhoads it went in its case. It was brief.

Hollowway and Konfyouzd like this.
  3. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Well I've found for my B.C. Riches Warlocks and Bichs can be sat effectively with normal one but with the bottom yolk flipped. I just checked my Ironbird and it does but it took care to set it down just right; unflipped it was too low for comfort. I've switched to Hercules and a 7 space rack modded for a wide padded base.

4. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

I found King V's to be SO comfortable to play sitting down. But much like your Rhoads... Guess where it lived? :lol:

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

They make guitar stands that grip the neck/headstock similar to wall mounts.

[​IMG]

Hollowway, Strobe, efiltsohg and 3 others like this.
  6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Roads goes in the case, and the explorer is tied to the rack with a sock around the neck. And is absolutely millimeters from touching the wall/floor.

7. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

I forgot about these. Funny because I actually have one of these. Its equivalent to hanging one up on a wall hanger. But It reminds me of a bully holding up a wimp over the ground by the neck for lunch money. I feel more comfortable with something underneath, at least for standard shapes.

Hollowway likes this.
  8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've used one for Explorers and Vs for years without problems. The cheap ones can be wonky, but Hercules ones are great.

aesthyrian likes this.
  9. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

I use the cheap-o $10 stands. I went ahead and modified one of them to accommodate my King V. Took the bottom cradle off and drilled a hole up a little higher on the main tubie-part. Then I just inserted a long-ass-sized bolt thru and tightened it down with a nut. To make sure that the guitar wouldn't slide back too far, I used a large-ass-sized washer. Then I used an equally large-ass piece of rubber pressed against the washer to isolate and protect the guitar. The back of the guitar doesn't sit against the rubber but just wanted a little insurance. Then I just used some rubber fuel tubing ( I forget the exact size) and slid it over the bolt. I cut the tubing short enough to finish it off with a nut cause everything's better finished off with a nut. Then I capped the nut with a rubber-cap-like-thingy and voila!

The points are up off of the floor a few inches so it's safe. I feel like it's totally secure... doesn't lean fwd although I can place the guitar more fwd or back to adjust the angle. I've tried a couple different stands that are specifically for weird-ass-shaped guitars but one of them had the points almost touching the floor and the other one sucked due to the clampy-grippy-thingy not releasing smoothly. This mod was cheap and didn't take a lotta work. Best of all it works great so I'm a happy little dude.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Dude thats brilliant! You really do keep all your ducks in a row!

11. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

The only solution is never stop playing.

Hollowway and MetalHex like this.
  12. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Here's my V and Rhoads on a multistand. The Dean has a bit of padding added underneath.
    IMG_20190515_111230.jpg

efiltsohg and MetalHex like this.
  13. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I have a bunch of weird shape guitars which can sit safely on a 2 prong guitar stand. Here are 3 of them for reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MetalHex likes this.
  14. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

Hercules Stands. I've had my V's on them for years. All my guitars are now on the wall being held by Hercules wall hangers. I will never use anything else.

McBrain, MetalHex and Mathemagician like this.
  15. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Screw a stand. A flying v is its own stand.
    IMG_20190429_155848.jpg

16. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

^ this guy apparently doesn't own any cats or dogs or has children for obvious reasons....

17. possumkiller

Three points of contact just like any guitar stand. It's just as safe sitting on the floor leaning on a wall as it is sitting in a guitar stand on the floor. Not sure how children and animals make a difference.
    59039608_10216749239956271_9139400186357874688_o.jpg

18. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

It's just that the surface your guitar is sitting on looks slippery from the pic. It looks like from here, that your guitar is leaning up against and standing on the threshold of a sliding glass porch door or something like that. Idk if thats where you normally keep it or not....my cats would have been knocked that over if it was mine!

I also use those opaque Ultex brand picks; the sharps! .88 - 1.00

Also, your much shorter than I would have expected! :lol:

19. possumkiller

Nah I just put it up on the window sill for outside lighting pics. It normally sits on the floor leaning on the wall. Or up on a shelf if I'm not playing for a while.
    The ultex sharp picks are amazing for fast picking. I play mostly 80s and 90s metal and those picks are miles better than the tortex standard shape I was using for the first 17 years or so. I also moved from .60-.88 to 1-1.14 thickness. I've been much more satisfied with my tone using less gain and hitting the strings harder. Less thin and muddy. More tight and throaty.
    That was one of the reasons I got rid of my explorer. It's either in a stand, on a hanger, or laying flat. You can't stand it up anywhere. Strats, teles, and LPs are ok leaning in a corner. Even most BCR shapes have a way to stand comfortable against a wall. Explorers can't because of the back side angle and the fact that the back side is curved.

MetalHex likes this.
  20. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

I avoid putting my Moser on my stand as the horns nearly touch the floor if not placed correctly. Go for the "bully" stand to avoid any floor marks to them. I use the stand to hang hats and cables really, I leave the guitar lying on the bed when I finish the daily practise and after it is cleaned up, it goes in the case. I find that leaving guitars exposed leads to the environment getting to them. They do look cool when they are hanging from walls, I admit that.

MetalHex likes this.