POD HD500 as cab sim for preamp?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ThePIGI King, Jun 6, 2019.

1. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

Hey all, I'm considering getting an ENGL E570, but I've always ran modelers. My question is, can I disable the amp feature and run the cab plus effects through my monitors?

Thanks for any and all help.

2. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I know for sure you can with the Digitech GSP1101 but I don't think you can with the Pod. I have a Pod X3 and although it will allow you to use an amp without a cab, you can't use a cab without an amp.

If that's the case, you could run the Engl into an IR loader like the Two Notes CAB M or Mooer Radar and THEN go into the Pod so you can still use the effects. Not only that but the 3rd party IRs that you could use with a loader will sound a LOT better than the ones that are in the Pod.

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

It doesn't work because amp and cab are in the same block, so no chance to turn them off separately.

4. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Really ? I'm glad I didn't sell mine and 'upgrade' to an HD.
    In the X3, when you go to your cabs, they have an option for "no cabinet", so that you can then run it into an IR loader for better results. However, like I said, if you turn the amp off, the cab turns off as well. I've never tried one of the HD line, so I have no idea what kind of changes they made with the editor or how the "blocks" work.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

The hilarious thing is im sure you could do this on Podfarm ffs. Yet for some reason couldnt on their then flagship model, the HD series.

I used to do this exact thing but with an E530 instead and had to also pair my HD Pro and the E530 with the Torpedo Cab because of the IR limitations in the HD series.

6. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Yes, unfortunately. No cab option is also available in HD, but it does same thing as X3. They stopped developing new firmwares for HD-series when Helix came, around 2015/2016. It would have been a good move to uprade them at least little bit. Some people have asked IR-loading capabilities for HD's, but I think there is no memory for that. And you can't route cab modeling into specific output like in many newer modelers, and dealing with different output modes is bit of a nightmare. If those would have been fixed along with weird percent values in EQ blocks it would be a decent unit. I owned HD300, Bean, and two HD500X's. Not buying another one because there are nowadays so many better options.

7. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

Thanks to all for the help! Sucks L6 didn't make it possible.

Awesome recommendation for Cab M, that'll probably be what I do. Thanks again.

Spinedriver likes this.