Played out guitar aesthetics/features

7stringDemon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Personally, I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing another swirled guitar. Especially if its a Jem. I used to be really into them, as well as Jackson Iridescent styled stuff, but now i just see tasteless nonsense.

In fact, I am just sick of the whole "Jem clone" market. Like fuck man, all those 550s and 570s sacrificed to Steve Vais image.... What did they do to you? :mad:

And while we're here, i used to really like the Mayo denim bursts and stuff. That is, until it became the biggest thing in guitar finishes since terrible trash can swirls...

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I thought of one that I hate on any and all guitars... scalloped fretboards... I have never been a fan of the tightrope feel.

The kicker was when this one-of-a-kind koa Mockingbird was up on ebay, sold, then popped back up a few months later with the fretboard massacred. Scalloping is just.. yich.
Ohhhhhh no.. It is back up for sale again!

THAT is the guitar that made me absolutely despise scalloping of fretboards. The bastard who butchered that rosewood didn't even bother oiling it after. It looks like it has been through several owners over the past few years. I bet they all realize how the fretboard scalloping absolutely dove the value of the guitar after they bought it.

j3lob3pgaipzdnsawtch.jpg

It was such a gorgeous cut of koa and such a great rosewood fingerboard with mother of pearl diamond inlays... all ruined... :(

hygjxocdo8smpbtifkon.jpg

Ah well, that is my contribution to the thread and a dire warning of how NOT to treat irreplaceable custom-made guitars.

Ugh.. repulsive hack job.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
Reverse headstocks on otherwise cool guitars

Any burst other than classic Gibson/fender style sunbursts (also silverbursts but only on a LP Custom) and reverse bursts in particular.

Honestly, most whacky colours just make a guitar look like a toy.

also headless guitars.

LordCashew

formerly an iron spatula
Reaction score

THAT is the guitar that made me absolutely despise scalloping of fretboards. The bastard who butchered that rosewood didn't even bother oiling it after. It looks like it has been through several owners over the past few years. I bet they all realize how the fretboard scalloping absolutely dove the value of the guitar after they bought it.

j3lob3pgaipzdnsawtch.jpg

It was such a gorgeous cut of koa and such a great rosewood fingerboard with mother of pearl diamond inlays... all ruined... :(

hygjxocdo8smpbtifkon.jpg

Ah well, that is my contribution to the thread and a dire warning of how NOT to treat irreplaceable custom-made guitars.

Kind of cool that the fretboard looks like 3 different pieces of wood now... :noplease:

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

j3lob3pgaipzdnsawtch.jpg

hygjxocdo8smpbtifkon.jpg

i cri evry tiem :'(

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

j3lob3pgaipzdnsawtch.jpg

hygjxocdo8smpbtifkon.jpg

"Mint condition - not a blemish or scratch on this piece!" The term "mint condition" really has no meaning anymore. Apparently after-market shitty modifications are completely fine.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Did the scalloping work take out all the inlays along with the wood? Cause if so, fucken' yikes.

Isaiah04

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In my opinion, EMG 81/85 set on guitars, we get it, its one of the most iconic pair of pickups, but would it kill to at least give some pickup variety?

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
reverb tanks in combos, they sound nice but are so often the source of irritating vibration when cranked

give me tremolo, or digital reverb, but I'd prefer trem, not enough amps have that

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Any burst other than classic Gibson/fender style sunbursts (also silverbursts but only on a LP Custom) and reverse bursts in particular.

I don't get why people love silverbursts. To me, it's the same as gold tops, only the beat up ones look cool.

I mean this
th-2410671520.jpg

Or this
fhr0r3b5b7py-1151294215.jpg

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Did the scalloping work take out all the inlays along with the wood? Cause if so, fucken' yikes.
Yeah, hand inlayed mother of pearl inlays all gouged for that scallop job.. :(
In my opinion, EMG 81/85 set on guitars, we get it, its one of the most iconic pair of pickups, but would it kill to at least give some pickup variety?
I mean, I get EMG 81s are iconic. I still have no idea why 85s were so big as neck pickups. They always sounded flubby to me, especially in the neck of a 22 fret guitar.
reverb tanks in combos, they sound nice but are so often the source of irritating vibration when cranked

give me tremolo, or digital reverb, but I'd prefer trem, not enough amps have that
So much yea, no, spring reverb tanks and that giant clang sound. Tremolo a bit more represented would be a nice change.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
I mean, I get EMG 81s are iconic. I still have no idea why 85s were so big as neck pickups. They always sounded flubby to me, especially in the neck of a 22 fret guitar.

Use that 85 as a bridge pickup. It's much better as a bridge pickup than as a neck pickup, and for a lot of applications I'd argue it's better than an 81 in bridge as well. The 60 is the neck pickup from emg I like best (from their "classic" pickups, haven't tried the newer stuff)

Still, for some uses an 81 can't really be beat.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Personally, I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing another swirled guitar. Especially if its a Jem. I used to be really into them, as well as Jackson Iridescent styled stuff, but now i just see tasteless nonsense.

In fact, I am just sick of the whole "Jem clone" market. Like fuck man, all those 550s and 570s sacrificed to Steve Vais image.... What did they do to you? :mad:

And while we're here, i used to really like the Mayo denim bursts and stuff. That is, until it became the biggest thing in guitar finishes since terrible trash can swirls...

NEXT!

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Use that 85 as a bridge pickup. It's much better as a bridge pickup than as a neck pickup, and for a lot of applications I'd argue it's better than an 81 in bridge as well. The 60 is the neck pickup from emg I like best (from their "classic" pickups, haven't tried the newer stuff)

Still, for some uses an 81 can't really be beat.
I mostly agree, but nothing makes the little zakk wylde squealies fly off the fretboard quite like an 81 in the bridge.

Honestly I think I might prefer an 81/81 combo.