Pickups for a multiscale 7

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Taylor2, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Taylor2

Taylor2 Do you even lift

Hey fellas,

It's been many years since I've been here, and many more since I've been keeping up with pickup selections.
    So I'm going to be buying a new Schecter Reaper 7 when they become available. I'm guessing the pickups in it stock won't be amazing, so I'm looking into options.
    Back when I was here, BKP was just getting started, and I see they've expanded quite a bit, with about 9000 options for various uses.
    Now there's also Fishman, and Lundgren is still around and of course the originals Dimarzio and SD.
    I'm coming from years of use on original EMG's.

I don't know where to start anymore and if someone could roughly give me an idea of where I should start given the following:

- I record 95% of the time. Clarity and fast attack are important to me. The EMG's have the pick attack, but are just too harsh and grainy these days.
    - I tune regularly down to drop B and below, currently working in F#.
    - Character wise: relaxed mids, fairly dynamic but it is metal music at the end of the day, and a spanky top end more akin to a single coil than the grating hiss of an EMG. In reality something bright and balanced across the mids and lows should be good.
    - I like thick strings as I've got a strong pick attack, so consider heavy strings as well.

I hear BKP does do angled sets, so I was looking at the BKP Impulse set but there's not a lot of anything on here or anywhere about them. The clips on their site are typically good but some anecdotes would be nice.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

If you are going to change pups right away just grab the schecter c-7 multiscale.

Like the reaper is 950. The c7 is 1350.

But a set of pickups that fit and have the pole pieces line up are 300 from bkp. Or a Fishman fluence set is 250.

Either way a pickup change puts you back at least 1200.

Another 150 in the c-7 gets you neckthrough and stainless steel frets.

No brainer really.

3. Taylor2

Taylor2 Do you even lift

Except for that small thing where the Reaper looks good an the C7 doesn't.

MerlinTKD likes this.
  4. diagrammatiks

Yikes

Masoo2 likes this.
  5. Taylor2

Taylor2 Do you even lift

Yeah fuck preferences!

Gunna actually answer the question in the OP or just talk about more random things?

6. diagrammatiks

Ya message Elysian pickups on Facebook and tell him what you want and him him make you a set of pickups

bostjan likes this.
  7. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

BKP range, the Painkiller, Aftermath, and Cold Sweat bridges would fit the bill, if in very different ways: the PK has a pronounced hi-mid presence, the AM a more rounded mid profile but very dry, while the CS is a little scooped by comparison, having a pronounced but tight low end and plenty of highs.

There's also the Instrumental SFTY3, which is like a PK but smoother; I haven't tried Elysian or Guitarmory, but heard good reports.

Taylor2 likes this.
  8. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

Oh, forgot Lundgren: the M7 is also fantastic

Taylor2 likes this.
  9. boogie2

boogie2 SS.org Regular

I put BKP Blackhawks in a Strandberg of mine and I like them. They're bar rather than pole pieced design so there are no alignment problems. They split nicely. They're not high output and are less compressed than any of the actives (like the EMG's that came in the Strandberg). I don't focus on metal but I've recorded some heavy tracks with these and they worked well.

Taylor2 likes this.
  10. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Guitarmory Guitarmory Guitarmory :)
    They do angled sets for pretty cheap but they also do rewinds which can lower your cost too by sending in the stock pickups to have rewound at a lower price than a new set.

Foxbat ceramic set maybe? I love my Atlas set but you said "relaxed mids" and the Atlas set has aggressive upper mids that kick butt when it comes to clarity and articulation. The Foxbat sets have clarity too but sound warmer kinda without the more present upper midrange of the Atlas set. Orion set might be a good option too but I didn't really like the sizzle from the alnico 9 in them. Maybe get that set customized with a different magnet if you wanna go with them.

Taylor2 likes this.
  11. Taylor2

Taylor2 Do you even lift

Thanks budday! I've played a Painkiller and that high mid range would be perfect for like, 80's thrash but not quite where I wanna go. The Cold Sweat is still a bit too 90's upper mid voiced for me as well. Like, remember the JCM900 thrash tone? The CS would crush at that. I want something more airy, where the presence isn't slapping you across the face as much. V30's are already annoying enough in the upper mids, don't need to add much more to that, gnomesayin'?

But going off their website, the Aftermath does seem to have the balance there.

I like two things about that; the bar design which would be nice, and lower output. To be honest despite the low tuning I prefer to use my hand for more aggression rather than a compressed tone. For instance, despite recording $5000 amps through nice recording equipment, there's a JCM800 amp sim that I absolutely adore which is super duper percussive, but very clean and clear and dynamic. So you can actually FEEL the difference in the tone when you're playing it. The EMG's take away from it, so I'd prefer something more expressive like the Blackhawks, ie. more of a low output pickup.

Do you have the alnico or ceramic BH? I think I prefer the balanced upper smoothness of the alnico based on the clips on their site, but are they going to be too sloppy in the low end? I feel like I lose a bit of the snappy-ness with alnico, but the clips on their site aren't super consistent.

I don't know too much about mechanics of pickups but is rewinding them the difference between a shitty pickup and a good one? Like, would rewinding it actually make enough of a difference that I wouldn't need to replace, hypothetically?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  12. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

The rewinds that I've heard were very good. You can message them to ask what all they change. The wire for sure, bobbins no of course, not sure what else. In the past they would swap magnets if you had the wrong kind for the wind that you wanted. I would ask them for details though.

Taylor2 likes this.
  13. boogie2

boogie2 SS.org Regular

I got the Alnico and I like them a lot. They're not quite as harsh and the Ceramic.

14. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

I don't know if these meet your desired characteristics, but Instrumental offer their SFTY3 and Decomp pickups in multiscale 7. I have a set of SFTY3 for my Vader VM7 and also just got a straight set of SFTY3/Decomp for my V8. The SFTY3 feels like a very balanced, sensitive pickup that leans towards the brighter side, but the highs (even in my Ash neck through) aren't harsh.

15. Taylor2

Taylor2 Do you even lift

You don't find any issues with the softer low end? Nothing a boost or LP can't solve I suppose.
    Appreciate the response.

I'll have to check them out then! I like the sensitivity. So much nuance can be created through the right hand and I don't want to lose it to shitty pickups.

16. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

Another vote for Elysian.

17. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

/thread

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire unofficial sso pickup tester

clarity, spanky high end, kicks ass for metal?
    yup elysian