Pickup suggestions for Km7 MK1

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Zok, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Zok

Zok SS.org Regular

You guys got any suggestions for pickups for this guitar? Recently got myself one, and I'm hating the tone of the Nazgul, it's so shrill and the low B is muddy, it makes no sense. I'm trying to find something that'll open up this guitar.

I tried searching the thread in the subforum but it's a mess, so apologies for doubles.

2. The906

The906 Contributor

Interested. Do you have the FRS version (not sure how many versions of MK1 there are)?
    I agree, the Nazgul is a bit rough. I am eyeballing a Black Winter to take its place so far.

3. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

I would maybe go black winter? I do not know much about this, but you would probably want something that has a tighter bass and less mids and treble

4. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Black Winter set. Thank me and KailM later.

5. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Ive been the opposite. I couldn't stand my black winter set and went for a Nazgul

6. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

I don't TOTALLY hate the Nazgul, but I've had the 6 and 7 string version and had to fight really hard with EQing to get a sound I liked. Black Winter rips though, doesn't have any of that harshness, more balanced mids, and it's a bit more compressed, which I like. It's not like EMG 81 level compression though (which I also like), if that worries you, since you did mention wanting something "open". It's pretty versatile, the 6 string version slightly more so.

Some people have had good luck with the Pegasus, but it was in my AW-7 for a very brief period and wasn't a great match for the guitar, so I can't personally recommend it. The Black Winter's been in that guitar for three or four years now and I have no intention of changing it.

7. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Drink Sunny D, pet kitties.

Guitarmory Polaris is good

LeviathanKiller likes this.