Pickup Recommendation for RG1527

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by MrWulf, Mar 15, 2019.

1. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Hey y'all. I'm grabbing an Ibanez Prestige RG 1527 and I need a pickup recommendation for this one. Most of my guitars have been maple neckthrough and mahogany/basswood body so my pickups have been ones that play nice with it, like Black Winter, Alpha/Omega and Nazgul/Sentient. Any recommendation for this basswood, 3 piece Bubinga/Maple neck guitar? I like my rhythm to be big, fat, but tight and aggressive, and a singing, thick liquid-y lead. BW has done me well in this regard, but I want something different.

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've had great results with the Dimarzio Blaze Custom in my 7620/7621, which are mostly the same specs as your guitar. The Blaze Custom is pretty different from the regular Blaze. Much more mids, more aggressive, plus it keeps great articulation and low end definition with lower tunings.

Singing and liquid-y leads from a neck definitely calls for a Liquifire :metal: maybe an Illuminator or Air Norton depending on what flavor of "shred" you like, too.

3. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

So whats the difference between Liquidfire vs Illuminator or Air Norton?

4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I haven't tried an Illuminator, but I've got a LF in one guitar and an AN in another, both mahogany Schecters with ebony fretboards that sound pretty similar acoustically.

The Liquifire has less bass than the Air Norton, and more of a "vocal" midrange quality. It definitely has more mids. I hate to use this term, but it really is applicable -- both of these pickups are very "fluid" and smooth when playing blinding-fast lead runs, with the LF being even more fluid and smooth. The LF is also a little hotter, making it even more ideal for shred, though the AN is no slouch. The AN is maybe a little more versatile and useful for genres besides just metal, but can do it no problem. The LF excels at metal-style shred leads. It's incredible for that.

I've got a BW set in another guitar, so I know those sounds as well. The BW neck is not quite as smooth as the Dimarzios -- you'll always hear a little bit of "hair" with the BW whereas the Dimarzios are buttery smooth, the LF taking the lead there. I love all three pickups. To my ears, the BW neck has better, more detailed, and chimey cleans than either of the Dimarzios, if that's a consideration for you.

5. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Well I already have a pair of BW in my Jackson so i dont particularly need them, but the comparison is great. What good bridge pickup is pairable to the Liquidfire? I heard that CrunchLab is quite muddy, and other option in the Dimarzio lineup is a bit...underwhelming to say the least.

6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Black Winter bridge. :mf666:

I've only played the Crunch Lab in store guitars, so I can't objectively say a whole lot about those. You really don't get a feel for what a pickup can do until you take it home and play it through your own rig, IMO.

I have owned a Dimarzio D Sonic, which I really enjoyed. However, the D Sonic still bows before the almighty carnage of the Black Winter bridge. :lol: The D Sonic was the predecessor to the Crunch Lab, and is brighter and a little lower output. I found it to be very tight, but still chunky and thick. A nice choice, for sure.

7. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

honestly i'd get another pair of BW but god the pickup is like 200 dollars plus. That's more than just expensive for my budget. There's Pegasus/Sentient and Nazgul/Sentient combo flying around used but those are kind of idk, bland.

KailM likes this.
  8. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I'd go used if I were you. Pickups are not a wear item, so you can save a lot of cash shopping on Reverb.com or Ebay.

I just got my Liquifire used/shipped for $60, and bought a second BW bridge for around $60 as well a few months back. Dimarzios are about $15-20 cheaper than Duncans to begin with, as well. So far, I'm really enjoying the Duncan bridge/Dimarzio neck combinations. My Liquifire is paired with a Nazgul, at the moment. Air Norton/Black Winter in another guitar. I may swap neck pickups soon though because I think the LF matches the output of the BW a little better, whereas the AN matches the output of the Nazgul a little better.

9. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

I'm kind of weary about pickup mixing because when i used PAF7 set the volume changes between the neck/bridge drove me insane. But yeah, thanks for the recommendation!

Right now on Reverb there's no Liquidfire 7 tho, unfortunately.

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

EMG 57/66-7 set

11. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

12. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

those set is like 220 bucks. As much as I love EMG that's way too much.

Ended up nabbing a Nazgul/Sentient set with only 100 bucks. I'll take a familiar pickup for a steal like that.

KailM likes this.
  13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oh i personally hated them both

congrats though and enjoy

14. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

I played them before. The set is good for my playing, just doesn't like the glassy neck pickup that is Sentient. Would much prefer something that have a liquid-y, smooth and thick feel to it. But the deal was too good to not pass up. At worse I will just get the BW into the Ibanez and have the Nazgul/Sentient back to the Jackson.