Pet Peeves/Irritants/Agitations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PunkBillCarson, Jun 7, 2019.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Reduce, reuse, recycle! It's what they taught us millenials in school in the late 80's and early 90's.

I drive an electric car, I'm vegetarian, my house has had solar panels almost ten years, and I compost. Most of all, I live in Vermont (the state where billboards are illegal), surrounded by all of the aged hippies and gay pot farmers who live in tiny homes made from recycled bottles.

It's really not that bad. Kind of like if the USSR never had any dictators. :lol:

Semi-seriously, though, there are just too many homo sapiens on planet earth to support the lifestyle everyone wants. They need to find a cheap way to recycle all of those Snapple bottles into condoms, fast.

2. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Wait, for real? That's sick.
    ...how's the real estate market? :lol:

3. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

The way some of them are acting really makes me ashamed to call myself homo...

bostjan likes this.
  4. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I kind of get what Metalhex is saying in a way, though. Around here which is a town with 5+ factories, you see on Facebook all the time where people ask if anyone's hiring and when someone even mentions one of the factories, they're like "ewwww no, if there's any fast food jobs that could support my high maintenance lifestyle, feel free to post."

So in a small town where factories are the best way to make money without a college degree, you think you should be able to live Gucci by working at Mickey D's? Fuck outta here.

5. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

I have only worked in two factories. A chicken processing plant was my first legal job when I was 17. Before that I worked for farmers since I was 10 picking tomatoes or digging potatoes, slinging hay, maintenance and renovation of those huge ass chicken houses, and landscaping for local people and businesses. I worked at a zip tie factory for a while after I left the army. My wife actually got her bachelor degree in hotel and restaurant management and tourism or some shit. She worked a year in a hotel and hated it and quit to work in a yogurt factory for more money. Nothing wrong with working in a factory. Most of the time it will keep you pretty fit.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

But is it a generational thing?

Right now millennials make up the largest percentage of the workforce (~35%), which shouldn't be too surprising since anyone between 23 and 38 years of age is considered one. Those are the prime working years.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/04/11/millennials-largest-generation-us-labor-force/

Manufacturing work has never been all too glamorous. It doesn't help that stagnant wages, poor safety regulation, and weaker/non-existent unions are rampant. Additionally, with the previous generation remaining in the workforce longer shift-work turnover is lower which is pushing back when those newer to the job can get to dayshift.

Unskilled manufacturing labor is paying out on average about $13/hr., fast food pays an average of $9/hr. But, if you make $9/hr you're eligible for SNAP benefits, which bridges the gap, and can even exceed, to that $13/hr.

7. PunkBillCarson

It could be that perhaps the people I see doing that tend to be from 19-23 on average. As far as pay goes, we start off at 14 an hour where the area's cost of living is typically 600 dollars a month for a two bedroom in a decent area and you can top out in two years with the most basic topout being almost 21 an hour, not to mention our company actually EXCEEDS OSHA regulations to the point of almost ridiculousness. So I mean, maybe it's the exception and not the rule, but the way I look at it is, it seems like quite a few of the people in that age range are afraid of getting their hands dirty and just don't want to work very hard. Work isn't meant to be glamourous. It's work. If you have fun or find a job you like, good on you, but for the time being on the way to what you want to do, you can be picky or you can make money. That's without a college education. No one's saying they have to stay in that job for the rest of their lives, but in a pinch where you actually need the money? Maybe putting forth the extra effort isn't a bad thing.

8. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

My wife is a Headteacher (School Principal to you US guys I guess?) at a primary (elementary) school and she is amazed by the amount of kids who are just starting school who's career ambition is "YouTuber"... I'm terrified that my 10 year old son thinks that he'll be able to maintain the lifestyle he wants through other people watching him have fun. Then we're stuck with the option of "banning" him from watching the same rubbish things as his peers and turning him into a social outcast.

9. MaxOfMetal

Kids are, by and large, fucking morons. But it's cool, many of them get smarter with the right nurturing and thus make better decisions as they mature.

Sure, ask a bunch of pre-teens what they want to be, you'll get the same "rich and famous" answers, just like when we were kids. Only "movie star" and "professional athlete" have been replaced with "YouTuber" and "social media influencer". It's a sign of the times.

XPT707FX likes this.
  10. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Absolutely, but it's heartbreaking to think that a generation that wanted to be astronauts gave way to a generation that wants to be watched opening boxes of action figures.

Sumsar likes this.
  11. narad

narad SS.org Regular

That's a bit grandiose I think. I hope that's not actually how you characterize these generations.

12. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

In some ways and based on an admittedly small (but first hand) sample size, I'm afraid it is :( but i'm talking about their aspirations and heroes, not their potentials or prospects. I understand that "times change" and all that, but my son and his friends' heroes are people who make videos about them playing minecraft or whatever for a living. These kids are not enjoying playing the game themselves, they're enjoying watching other people play the games.

I rationalise it by saying that wanting to be a video game youtuber is no different to aspiring to being a professional football player or a racing driver, just a different game, crossed with being a talkshow host or a pop star, just a different medium. Killing two birds with one stone in "typical aspirational careers" if you will.

But to an "old man" like me, it seems "strange". It's just a matter of needing to realign my own appreciation of modern entertainment. (Yes, I still buy CDs).

One could argue that it's my generation's fault for not giving my son's generation any "real" aspirational figures who can compete with the power of DanTDM

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I mean I don't understand. He most definitely can.
    It's a job and he needs to be good at it.

14. narad

narad SS.org Regular

But I think when people wanted to be astronauts or something, they similarly didn't think of the process involved in achieving it. And statistically basically no one achieves it. Kids' desire to be an astronaut is just the curiosity of something cool-sounding and mysterious. I feel for kids these days: what frontiers can you really aspire to conquer when they've all been mapped out?

15. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

skynet technician.

The906 likes this.
  16. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

I hate how whammy bars have that joint or angled tip. Maybe it's just my small hands but when I'm holding the bar inside my palm and trying to pick the strings, I can't do it without pushing down the bar because of that damn thing points upwards from the body.

17. MaxOfMetal

I think Callaham still makes Fender spec bars to order, you could have him make a straight one.

18. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

Cool, but I don't really even use the whammy bar that much nor mean to learn to, hence I posted about it in this thread. I actually still haven't tried the bar that came with my Squier. Gotta see if it's any better than the one that came with my Ibanez RG.

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Real estate in VT, in general, is pretty poor right now. Our property tax is the third highest and property here tends to depreciate. Winters are super hard on houses, too, so, unless you actually live in a house, you have to expect it to fall apart. If you want to move here, you can buy a decent starter house for about $100k, but it'll likely be worth less than that when you sell it. But, on the other hand, VT is actually paying people cash to move here. I'm sure that incentive would take care of any real estate loss.

We have the same job problem everyone keeps mentioning. There are lots and lots of $12/ hr jobs and crazy high income tax, even on the low income jobs, so it's actually better for unskilled workers to stay home and collect welfare than it is to work. But, at the same time, the folks who do want to work apply for factory jobs and it can take a year to hear back. I think the factories have realized that they can still profit with only 70% of their optimal workforce, and when they hire someone new, they might train them and pay into their benefits packages and insurance only to find out that the new employee is impaired by some sort of substance addiction when they chop their hand off with a saw or whatever.

The state government, as a whole, doesn't seem to understand that the state is losing so much money because if you come down super hard on businesses to support expensive welfare budgets, those businesses pack up and leave or go bankrupt. Since I moved here ten years ago, we've lost 3 major factories, as well as tons of small businesses tied to them. Our "downtown" area is almost completely abandonned now. There used to be dozens of shops, but now only three or four.

The906 likes this.
  20. PunkBillCarson

Potsmoker jargon, particularly the word "edibles." It's food... you're not more important or quirky just because you use three syllables to describe food.

XPT707FX, Kaura and possumkiller like this.