Pedals That Straddle Distortion and Fuzz?

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
More than any other pedal ive come across, the frazz dazzler by dr scientist to me sits right in between distortion and fuzz and imho works well in either world ie distortion for metal or fuzz for more sludgy doomy stuff.
Any other pedals yall feel do the same?

I dont have it dialed in tight here but whatever, im including it because it still shows off its huge mean tone!

BTW i bought this myself, this isnt some paid promo stuff (not that my opinion would be any different) i simply enjoy making videos about pedals and started doing it simply because i was sick of "influencers/commercials" and people who just like to hear their own voice and the lack of hearing pedals i was interested in just doing solid power chord riffing so i could hear it.

Aaaanyway... Its a really versatile pedal and has a really unique character and has some of the hugest lowend I've ever heard in a pedal though it can be dialed in pretty tight as well.
It has 2 channels ie low gain (which can still get quite gainy) and high gain which is devastating!
Just a super rad pedal that i highly recommend!

Anyone else here ever try it?

Last edited:

bubbastain

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
MXR Submachine. I think it's the perfect balance of distortion and fuzz.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Rat also covers boost and overdrive. The only finicky part is the lowest part of the distortion pot drops volume a bit which is somewhat irritating, but easy to find the point where you get full volume.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Rat.
My Walrus Iron Horse v.1 with the mode switch to the right is very fuzzy. Even gets splatty/gated like some fuzzes get.

Some big muffs straddle the line too.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love the rat but i do wish it leaned a bit more onto the fuzz side, imo its much more distortion

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love the rat but i do wish it leaned a bit more onto the fuzz side, imo its much more distortion

Fuzzrocious Rat King (now Cat King, but mine were both pre-C&D) is the fuzziest RAT I've ever used, thanks to the second distortion circuit and the extra filter pots. It sags, it spatters, it makes you wonder whether your speakers are breaking apart. Gets even grosser when you stack it. Overall a much nastier pedal than the ProCo RATs I've experienced.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fuzzrocious Rat King (now Cat King, but mine were both pre-C&D) is the fuzziest RAT I've ever used, thanks to the second distortion circuit and the extra filter pots. It sags, it spatters, it makes you wonder whether your speakers are breaking apart. Gets even grosser when you stack it. Overall a much nastier pedal than the ProCo RATs I've experienced.
Yeah, the "Sweep" knob that a lot of Rat clones have can get the circuit pretty fuzzy. Even at less than full up distortion settings. Alternatively, the Deucetone Rat could get you plenty of fuzz.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Walrus Audio Iron Horse LM308 V3.

Mine just came in tonight, and I have no issues having distortion with fuzz characteristics. Based on a Rat, just seems to have more gain and you can switch between silicon or LED clipping with the knob and even blend the two. Also, through my Rockerverb's clean channel, with the reverb on, I can get some pretty good shit going.

Voodoo Marshall

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe this is too old school but EHX range of Muffs also do a blended distortion/fuzzy thing pretty well. They still seem pretty viable to me, matter of picking the right flavored Muff for the sound you're looking for.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Dover Drive, specifically the germanium Dover Drive. I don’t think I could describe it better than being a fuzz pedal that feels and responds more like distortion. I mean, I can nail Zakk Wylde pinch harmonics with the thing. I made a couple videos going over the 3 different Dovers I have. (Germanium is my favorite, that pedal is fucking magical)

If you go to about 0:55 in this vid you can hear the more fuzz aspects coming out on the higher notes. This vid just compares the old school vs germanium, just the iphone mic (FM9 coming out of actual cabs in my living room)

And this one is a bit more in depth, playing with the knobs on each pedal to compare the differences between them. This was all going direct with my AxeFX so you’ll hear a bit more details than the iphone one, obviously.
At 2:32 when I crank the gain on each one you can really hear what I’m talkin’ about

Funny, I have an EJ Fuzz Face and the germanium Dover Drive sounds more like EJ’s Face Face tones than the EJ Fuzz Face does. What I particular dig about it is the fuzz aspects are more noticeable higher up the neck than they are on the lower strings, where it gets more like distortion.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently the skreddy screwdriver does this too.

Just got my first rat in trade yesterday, will be doing some Gibsunday stuff today..