Peavey JSX vs 5150 III

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ozzman619, May 4, 2012.

1. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

Im really in love with the sound of the EVH 5150 III right now, its got the 3 main things im looking for in my amp, clarity, tons of gain, and huge but yet tight low end. I normally play it on channel 2 with the gain near maxed and all eq knobs between 11:00-2:00, or channel 3 with gain between 9:30-11:00 and again the eq between 11:00-2:00. Honestly the only downs sides i see too the EVH 5150 III is the clean channel, its size, and the made in mexico factor. As much as i do like the EVH 5150III i'd like to look into a few other options, just so i dont regret not trying other amps. One in particular that has always caught my eye is the Peavey JSX, ive heard great things about it and it seems to fit my description pretty well. Only downside ive heard is it has a active eq witch can be pretty sensitive, which has me scared because thats why im getting rid of my triple rectifier. One thing im not looking to do is having to boost my amp which is another reason im droping the rectifier (i just cant get my sound without it, dont ask why i dont want to boost, i just dont, yes i know im weird). So does anyone have any experience with the JSX? Also if you have any other amps i should look into i'd love to hear it.

2. smucarolina

smucarolina King of the Chatroom

JSX is a downgrade...I played a few. Always sounded fizzy and didn't have the thump of the 5150.

5150 III is great. Check out the Cobra if you like mid heavy amps with good low end as well.

3. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

I ditched my JSX for a Single Rectifier. The EQ is very sensitive. It needed a boost to get a really good chunk going on. I loved it while I had it, but that Recto tone seduced me.

4. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

The 5153 and JSX aren't even in the same ballpark..one isn't exactly "better" than the other..just a matter of taste. I will say the JSX is one of the few amps that doesn't need a boost..reason (and downside) is it's tonally on the thin side..not horribly but it's lack of huge rumble keeps it tight and it's high mid character and all that keeps it from needing a boost..HOWEVER it does sound good with one

5. 155

155 SS.org Regular

jsx=good amp... 5153 =awesome amp

6. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

5153!!!!:scream::agreed:

7. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

so are there any amps that are under $1000 that might compete with the mighty 5153? (spending over $1000 i might aswell just get the EVH)

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The 5153 Mini. :wavey:

9. Augminished

Augminished Augminished Studio

Yes :agreed:

Awesome amp.

10. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

what about some of like the lower end engls, such as the fb100, blackmore or even some of the middle grounds like savage120 and powerball, will they compete with the EVH 5153 for what im looking for? (im not playing djent at all)

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

You already know the amp you want, why not just get it? :p

12. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

Kinda vague here. A little more clarity in what type of metal you're playing and the sound you're after would be helpful for all the gurus here.

13. Beeftron

Beeftron SS.org Regular

5153 all day. I just got rid of mine it was ridden with problems. they are a decent sounding amp but the quality of the hardware and assembly is not that great. i always had issues with mine.

14. BrianUV777BK

BrianUV777BK Riffmiester General

I had a JSX for awhile. It sounded great in my jam room. It was everything I wanted and was looking for. Then I got into a new project. My main guitar at the time was a Charvel So Cal in drop C. But no matter what guitar I played thru the amp it just didn't cut thru the mix. No matter what I did to the EQ it just didn't cut. If there was a part where the other guitar and bass dropped out then I was good. I was thinking about sending it to Voodoo for a mod until I found the perfect solution, for me. I traded it for a Triple Rec and haven't looked back.

15. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

The reason im not going for the 5153 just yet is because i dont want to buy it and then find out another amp might be better for what im playing so i wanna see whats all out there before i buy anything else.

As for the music im playing, i ive been mainly playing between E standard and D standard and all between there, but i do also have one guitar in B standard that i play sometimes as well. i need my amp to be able to do a few different tones, obviously i need a pretty good clean channel, a really massive sounding tone like amon amarths, a nice lead sound kinda like children of bodoms solo tones, my 80s metal tone (a nice ratt or motley crue tone will due) and most important, my favourite tone of all, swashbuckle.

if an amp can do all those im more then happy with it. (and if its made in US or europe im even happier)

16. asilayamazing

asilayamazing SS.org Regular

peavey ultra plus-- loads of gain lots of mids amazing clean channel crunchy 80's rhythem channel brutal lead. its old was what the jsx was based off of, basically different voiced xxx or 3120 whatever rebrand you wanna call it.
    awesome IMO i can go from metallica to bullet for my valentine to black dahlia murder with a flick of the resonance switch and a quick eq dial.

EDIT: i found mine on the bay for $350:yesway: for your under 1000 part. definitely compete with the big boys(5150 etc.)
    heres a ultra plus vs/ mesa mark 3
    http://youtu.be/TFw7U1PzIN8

17. Seanthesheep

Seanthesheep SS.org Regular

At your price 5153 mini for sure, sounds beast :D