Peavey 6505 vs 11 guitar amp modeling platforms! (Axe Fx III, Helix, TH-U etc.)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Guitarjon, Jun 5, 2019.

1. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

It's been a VERY long time since i've used Revalver, but if memory serves you can actually get around some of the compressed sound by bypassing the built in IR loader completely and use another IR loader outside of it. Could be completely wrong but i'm pretty sure it helps it out tremendously.

Guitarjon likes this.
  2. bluffalo

bluffalo SS.org Regular

Great video! Would love to hear the green channel as a bonus!

Most importantly - cool riff!

Guitarjon likes this.
  3. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Thanks!
    I'll make a proper full length demo for the 6505 with both channels soon probably....

4. oneblackened

oneblackened Doesn't Actually Play a Seven String

Here's my thoughts, overall.

Top tier (i.e. closest to the real thing):
    Helix: this was by far the closest and it's hard to tell the difference. 9.5/10
    Axe FX: good, but it's got that distinctive Fractal upper mid thing that you can't dial out. Dynamics similar but perhaps somewhat less weighty on the palm mutes. 8/10

Good tier (fairly close, but missing a few things):
    TH-U: Relatively close, but a bit flubby compared to the actual amp. 7.5/10
    X50: Again, relatively close, but the lower mids are congested and muddy. 7.5/10

Okay tier (things clearly wrong, but still usable):
    Revalver 4: Kinda muffled sounding and lacking in dynamic response, but the midrange is fairly close. 6.5/10
    Amplitube 4: More fuzzy than grindy, dynamics lacking. Lack of presence control is confusing. 6.2/10
    Thermionik: Fizzy, sounds like old generation modeling. Also kind of thin. 6/10

Bad tier (multiple things wrong):
    Amplitube 4: More fuzzy than grindy, dynamics lacking. Lack of presence control is confusing. 5.9/10
    Nick Crow 8505: Waaaaay too much low mid. Not a fan. Top end also sounds "digital". 5.8/10
    Pod Farm: I can't give PF too much crap, it's very old software at this point - but it falls short in every dimension. Plastic dynamics, fake sounding top end. 5/10
    Guitar Rig 5: Amp modeling is not one of NI's strong suits. Old modeling with muddy mids and plastic dynamics. 4.5/10
    Bias: I'm not sure what the fuck Positive Grid is aiming for with this one, but it's not a 6505 at all, nor is it good sounding. 1/10

Guitarjon likes this.
  5. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Ya the way you had the Helix Panama dialed in I never would have tried. I'll have to try it on Native later. Ye old "mix with your ears not eyes" proverb. I had been doing the standard 6-6-6 and boost formula. Pointless cause I can just run the 6505mh into WoS and be done with it. But would be good to have a dry vst signal for reamping when mastered.

AkiraSpectrum and Guitarjon like this.
  6. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Awesome!
    Thanks so much for sharing your detailed observations!
    I think we agree on a lot of things.

Yeah, sometimes it's a bit of a mindfuck tbh but you just gotta keep trusting your ears.
    I was dead set on making it work so I just kept on dialing until it sounded good.

Razerjack likes this.