Peavey 6505+ and Engl cabinets

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by jonsick, Aug 4, 2015.

1. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

Hey

I have a 6505+. I currently use it with a Marshall 4x12 with V30s and G12T75s in X formation.

The cabinet sounds great with my Marshalls and am reluctant to change anything. But it just doesn't really jive with the 6505+. It's just a little too flabby on the low end.

So, looking at getting another cabinet just for the Peavey. I'm after something a lot tighter on the low end and in a 4x12 format.

I would go Mesa but they're too expensive here in the UK. But the Engl Standard 4x12 is perfectly in my price bracket. Anybody have any experience here? Or can recommend an alternative?

2. sinnersmoon

sinnersmoon SS.org Regular

I would recommend rather ENGL Pro cabinet than the Standard one.
    I played 6505 through ENGL Pro 2x12 (with V30) and I liked what I heard a lot. V60 has less mids and treble and I found it muddier in the lows comparing to V30.

Since you`re from UK what about Zilla cabs? I have a 2x12 Fatboy and it`s a really nice cab. I haven`t played 6505 through it, just ENGL Invader 100 and Triaxis + 50/50 but I bet it would sound good.

3. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

An ENGL Pro would destroy. Definition of a tight aggressive cab.

4. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

I did look at Zilla but no idea what speakers I would ask for.

5. sinnersmoon

sinnersmoon SS.org Regular

You can`t go wrong with V30`s.
    Some people like to mix them with T75`s but I`m not fan of these speakers.
    K100`s are not as scooped and have nice and clear low end.

6. warlock7strEMG

warlock7strEMG SS.org Regular

^^ This!! V30/T75 mix is a good one, those speakers complement each other very nicely. But the same goes even more so for the V30/K100 mix.
    One of the guys I play in a band with has that mix in his and while I am not a fan of Marshall cabinets, his is the best sounding Marshall cabinet that I have ever heard. Those speakers really bring out the best in it. Change those T75's out for some K100's and you will have probably a bit more low end, but also less flub and fizz.

7. warlock7strEMG

warlock7strEMG SS.org Regular

Or if you were wanting to take an entirely different route with your 6505+, see if you can find a used VHT/Fryette Fatbottom 412(newer model, front-loaded with P50E speakers). Idk how much they go for over there but if they are in your price range then you can't go wrong. There is not another cab on the market that is as clear or tight as the Fatbottom. The construction combined with those speakers is insane!! Or even a VHT/Fryette Deliverance 412. They are basically just an oversized Fatbottom(for the most part). And while they are not as tight as the Fatbottom they are still tighter than pretty much anything out there.

8. Oklep

Oklep SS.org Regular

Orange ppc412. With mesa traditional 4x12, two best cabinets for 5150/6505 IMO.
    I had engl cab (v30) with mesa roadster head, and I didnt like it. With recto it was way to fizzy. With other head it could be great though.

9. wheelsdeal

wheelsdeal SS.org Regular

I have the ENGL 412 Pro XXL with an EVH 5150 and an ENGL Powerball II.Most aggresive cab i've ever played and i have tried several.Super tight,clear but kinda nasally sounding.Did i said aggresive?Yea...

Dont mess with the standard version and the V60.Just go Pro or look elsewhere.Zilla are great cabs as well.

Check this video,pretty much what you expect from a 6505 & ENGL cab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2rRLT2ZZpc

10. dongh1217

dongh1217 SS.org Regular

Go for ENGL Pro Cab with V30s, amazing quality.

More than just V30 vs V60

PRO: Siberian Birch

STANDARD: Standard plywood plus Siberian Birch baffle board.

11. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

You're pretty much convincing me on the Engl Pro cabinet.

Quick question, if I get a base and angled cab, does the base cab have recesses for the angled cab to slot into, or will I need to take the wheels off of the angled cabinet?

12. viesczy

viesczy SS.org Regular

^bold in quote is mine.

Beyond a Mesa cab, all over Vin30s have shrill tone to them that makes me want to club seal cubs to death.

I'd recommend an Eminence V12. It gives live tones that the Vin 30 only gives in recordings.

Derek

13. wheelsdeal

You mean like Marshall cabs?

No..you need to remove the wheels to stack 2 cabs.Wheels plug and unplug easily.

14. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

For those who are complaining about the fizz with the ENGL V30, any know how it pans out in an actual band mix? I sold my ENGL cab because all of my heads at the time were naturally kind of fizzy (Recto, Thermion, etc) until cranked to a loud stage volume and the cab is a bit "open" on the high/fizz end of the spectrum. Just wondering if in a mix it all works out. I wasnt playing in a band at the time.

15. viesczy

viesczy SS.org Regular

I'll chime in, though I sold off my Laney V30 cab for its fizziness.

They do help you cut through, especially if your drummer NEEDS to smash every cymbal 900 times a second when during your solos :mad: or the lead singer needs to hoot/holler/beller/squeal while banging out of time on the tambourine :mad:

I might be a little too harsh on the Vin 30.

At the time my rig consisted of my Laney VH100 and/or Laney TT50 (both are British voiced), my main guitar was my Ibby RG7640 w a TZ7 neck and Evo 7 bridge. I still have the amps and the guitar, even through my V12 cabs (or my G-Flex cabs) the Evo 7 and a British amp is a recipe for shrill tones.

Derek

16. TamanShud

TamanShud Finished

FWIW I'm running my 6505+ through an Orange 2x12 and I'm hearing everything I want to and nothing I don't.

It's all subjective though, if you have the chance try and hear it for real first before deciding (end 2 cents).

17. wheelsdeal

Seriously man you should contact Paul from Zilla and tell him exactly what you are looking for soundwise and he will recommend you speaker combinations,cab measurements even what ohms are suitable.

Zilla cabs are great,customisable and since you are in the UK will come cheaper than any mainstream.

ENGL cabs are super tight but are not smooth.They may sound harsh depending on the amp and if you boost with an OD.I am still struggling with some high frequencies i need to dial out.

Orange cabs are smoother with a lot of mids.May sound boomy sometimes.Worst tolex of the bunch,no wheels.

Mesa cabs,the traditional ones are the most balanced imo.Good low end,smooth highs and balanced mids.The oversized cab is less tighter and slightly boomy.Ridiculously expensive in Europe.

Construction wise all the above are equal.Choose whatever characteristics suits you...i would still recommend you to make a call to Zilla cabs.Cheers.