pairing down live rig because I'm lazy

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by buriedoutback, Jul 13, 2018.

1. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

lazy and rushed in a live situation

So recently I've started removing pedals from my live/jam rig because
    1. I'm lazy/always rushed live
    2. paranoid of equipment failures (due to having 1 at the Faceless show I recently played)

Elaborate!

previous rig setup:
    guitar > tuner > behringer mh300 (chainsaw tone) > gate > amp
    loop > eq pedal

1. I decided that the eq (while making everything sound better) wasn't worth the time/effort/cabling/power supply to bring and setup. extra wires/cables and something else to go wrong. Yes its 1 pedal and 3 wires... but honestly it's given me a sense of relief to not have to set it up every time we play.
    I bought a clip on tuner for a backup (the latch on my planet waves tuner broke so it won't close - but still works) and i'm thinking i might just use that and simplify my chain even more ...
    guitar > gate > 5150

2. my hm300 pedal started cutting in and out during our last live set to the effect of: chainsaw-broken lofi-chainsaw-broken lofi. it happened again at band practice last week so i removed it from my chain.
    Yes i could probably have spent more money on higher-end gear - alas I did not.

So, currently I'm guitar > tuner > gate > amp ... and it actually sounds 'fine' ... i have a couple tube screamer-type pedals to swap in for the hm300 but ... it sounds good enough. and i think that no one else but me is actually going to notice....

TLDR: to the possible detriment of your tone (that probably only you would notice) are others pairing down their rigs for quicker setup / laziness / equipment-failure-paranoia?

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  2. buriedoutback

I should also add that i have to setup/tear down our backing track and IEM equipment every time we jam and play live, so saving time is important to me.

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I went from a traditional pedalboard to an fx8. I dont look as cool as everyone else but i also dont worry about my rig.

FILTHnFEAR and buriedoutback like this.
  4. odibrom

odibrom .

I rarely take my stuff to practice besides one guitar... it's a rental studio by the hour, so I'll use whatever there is as amplifier and cab...

5. buriedoutback

we rent our jam space by the month and share with between 3-5 other bands. I don't know or trust the other people. we get to leave our gear there, but its all packed up and secured - hence me having to setup/tear down every time.

odibrom likes this.
  6. buriedoutback

apologies if you've gone over this in other threads ... how do you feel about your tone after the switch? better/worse?
    obviously very convenient having an all-in-one with the fx8.

7. budda

Im happy to answer questions! I feel my tone is the same. The fx8 has deeper editing than any of the pedals it replaced, but I only really mess with parameters I understand. I read the manual before it arrived, so I had a rough idea of how to set it up. I had it giggable pretty quick and I've been refining things since. The forum and fb group are helpful as well. My first gig with the unit was the start of a 22 day tour haha. I knew soundwise that I wasnt going to lose anything.

buriedoutback likes this.
  8. buriedoutback

That's awesome. 'set up good enough then refine on the road' -- i like.
    I think I would get lost in all the deep editing.
    I have a line 6 hd500 that I quickly tried to use in front of the amp; TS > gate > 5150 but I couldn't get the result i was looking for. I might try it again when I have more time to screw around with it.

9. budda

I also couldnt get the pod HD sounding anywhere near right when I had one. Not sure what i did wrong haha.

I dont really sweat the deep editing. I avoid YY tutorials usually but i'd watch one on for that haha.

10. TheArsonistsDaughter

TheArsonistsDaughter SS.org Regular

I've really stripped down and economized my rig over the years for many of these reasons...I went from a Head+rack with processor and pedal switcher + pedalboard w/ midi controller and volume pedal to a 4 space rack with a Power conditioner + Axe FX 2 +Matrix GT800 power amp + pedalboard w/ midi controller and volume pedal + pedalboard w/expression pedals and sampler footswitch. I can cover the same ground I did with my big rig...actually more...but it's just a rack and cab and pedalboards. Somehow just not having to deal with a big bulky head and it's case has made things waaaaaaay simpler. And I'm a total nerd about color coding cables, looming and organizing things, and just keeping things really neat and clean with the rig so it's easy to setup/tear down. I'm also a total nerd about not needing power at the front of the stage...I only use a passive volume pedal and power my controller via phantom power. So basically, I just have to plug in my rack, plug a few cables into it (all loomed and color coded of course...lol), hook up the cab, grab my guitar, and go. We trigger samples via a Digitech Jamman solo, and I built a little 6" x 8" pedalboard for it and it's DI box that stores in the back lid of my rack. So even though we have a lot going on, I've got it down to a science that makes it super simple...I also set it up and tear it down every week for practice, which helps you get good at it as well. The only thing I don't have to lug with me is a cab as we have two at the drummer's house.

We played our first show in 5 years last weekend...and my first show with this particular version of my rig, and I got a ton of compliments on my sound. I've been super happy with it, but it was nice for other players to be excited about it as well.

So my theory is: cases, color coding, wire wraps and ties!

11. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

I stripped down from Head, Rack, Pedalboard to Axe-FX 2 + Poweramp + MFC. I then discovered, that I still needed some pedals, so I upgraded some Pedals and just recently downgraded again.

Current setup:
    Amp: Axe-FX2 + Poweramp

Pedalboad:
    Wireless Unit -> Tuner -> Digitech the Drop -> Wah -> Amp
    + Morningstar MC6

I got rid of the MFC, because the Morningstar could do even more with way less space. I just dropped the HM300, because I tweaked my Axe until I could achieve the Chainsaw within the presets. Way more comfy to switch to clean sounds. I actually could replace the tuner with the MC6 and the Drop, but I like to have the tuner always on and I use the Drop for half the set and the Pitch-Block isn't that accurate.

If you are need for the chainsaw I actually recommend the TC Electronic Eyemaster. It has just 2 knobs (Dist and Level), but it sounds like an HM-2 with max'ed High and Low. It's price is also very reasonable. Just don't watch the official YouTube Review. They have no idea what they are doing :D

Chiba666 and buriedoutback like this.
  12. Atte

Atte SS.org Regular

I switched my 4x12 cab, Peavey 6505+, head and a pedalboard into an AX8 and a small wedge. My life and sound quality improved 120 %. I just have a G30 wireless receiver velcroed on the side of the AX8.

lewis and buriedoutback like this.
  13. buriedoutback

Well, my tuner pedal started shorting out my signal recently. I now think that it may have been the culprit all along, and not my behringer hm300... so out goes the tuner. I'll try to get along using a snark or daddario clip on tuner and see how it goes. I also recently re-joined my old black metal band Empyrean Plague (using my ltd explorer with emgs) and realize I like the tone better without my tube screamer pedal. So, for Empyrean Plague I just have an ISP noise gate (although the emgs don't feed back much at all) and for Buried out Back I use my HM300 > ISP and that's it.

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I run a bone-simple rig, and have never WANTED something more complex.

guitar => Mark-V head => tc electronics Flashbackk X4 in the loop => Mesa Recto 4x12 cab.

I don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything by not having a fleet of pedals out front.

15. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

To the question - yes. I have just downsized for most of the same reasons as you. Can't beat convenience and saving your back but in my case this is going from a half stack tube amp to a pedalboard rig.

In your case it seems like you are using an amp and just eliminating a pedal or two? If so then why not just leave them all connected to a pedal board? Have a power supply underneath and it would literally be no difference for you at all. Unless I am just reading this wrong.

Gmork and I play music like this.
  16. buriedoutback

I eliminated the eq from the effects loop, which needed power and 2 short patch cords. It sat on top of the amp in my situation. Incidentally, I opened, checked, closed and tightened all the jacks on my daddario tuner and it ran 100% tonight at practice. So at this point I'm guitar > tuner > hm300 > gate > 5150 for Death Metal and guitar > tuner > gate > 5150 for Black Metal. I think that will probably be as trim as I can make my setup. \m/\m/

17. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Imo if thats the only thing youve eliminated thats not much. If your amp sounds better with the EQ but a couple 20 ft cables and add it to your board.

18. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Just get a pedalboard, buy some decent short pedal patch cords, some zip ties to secure all the cords down, and a powersupply to mount underneath.

Then youll just have to plug in the powersupply. A patch cord to your guitar and a patch cord from pedalboard to amp.

3 things. And your pedals and cords wont get banged around/moved every single time you set it up.

19. buriedoutback

That's pretty much what I am already doing. https://i.imgur.com/OnQlvQS.jpg

The eq I eliminated used to sit on my amp with short cords to the fx loop. I didn't want to run 2 more 20ft cables and have the eq on my board. I tried to eliminate my tuner pedal and replace it with a clip on tuner, but the pedal works better for me.

20. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I use a simple little board with tuner>gate>OD>EQ(loop) and just keep it on top of whatever amp I bring. In most cases I just turn on the gate, but some amps I have my favorite settings that involve the EQ as well. I don’t switch on/off anything during a show so I can keep all the cable runs short.

Otherwise, and usually, I have my Kemper and a cab. No pedals whatsoever. I just browse through a few of my profiles to hear which is best for a particular room and stick with it.