Ordered a replacement hipshot bridge and the holes do not line up - year difference or ??

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
I own the custom jackson that misha ordered in 2011 and it needed a new hipshot bridge as the original was pretty scratched up. I ordered a replacement and the new and old appear almost identical but the holes for the strings to pass through do not line up exactly. It appears that the string holes on the bridge from 2011 are just slightly angled as if it were a multiscale (it's not a multiscale guitar).

Does anybody know if this is just a matter of a huge year gap in how hipshot built their bridges or what? Thanks in advance.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the images, but the scratched up one looks like it's not angled, and the one with the angled holes should be the newer one, based on the saddles. Did you flip them side-to-side so their positions are changed from the first photo?

Not that it matters, because either way your holes don't line up and I don't have an answer for you...just trying to wrap my head around the provided data. :)

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the images, but the scratched up one looks like it's not angled, and the one with the angled holes should be the newer one, based on the saddles. Did you flip them side-to-side so their positions are changed from the first photo?

Not that it matters, because either way your holes don't line up and I don't have an answer for you...just trying to wrap my head around the provided data. :)

Ah yes sorry. In the second photo, the older bridge is on the left.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would recommend contacting hip shot directly. They're really good to deal with, when I bought a bridge on the reverb with no screws, they sent me the exact screws I needed with no questions asked.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The one off the guitar looks like a "Hipshot" and not an actual Hipshot bridge. They've never used those types of saddles, even way way back.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
The one off the guitar looks like a "Hipshot" and not an actual Hipshot bridge. They've never used those types of saddles, even way way back.
Some sort of inhouse jackson brand? Seems weird since this was a "master build" I've sent an email to hipshot customer service to see what they say.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some sort of inhouse jackson brand? Seems weird since this was a "master build" I've sent an email to hipshot customer service to see what they say.

FMIC definitely has the capability in-house to mill a custom bridge.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hipshot has used that shape of saddle before, but on their tele bridges and on their other fixed bridge:

Screenshot_20220512-091202_Samsung Internet.jpg

Those saddles also appear similar to the ones they use on their own "HT6" bridge used on the Pro series Juggernaut. But even if the saddles were somehow swapped, that wouldn't explain the angles string holes.

Screenshot_20220512-091457_Gallery.jpg

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
So upon a closer look all of the string holes minus the high E can still allow a string to pass through. I think if the high e hole was bored out just a tiny bit it would pass.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Update: I got a response from hipshot and the bridge is indeed a hipshot and it is an older model. The response was:

Thanks for reaching out!

That's an old bridge!! It's what we called "Straight holes."

They offered to let me exchange it for a replacement in the old hole pattern.