Options for a Nylon String/Classical 7 string?

MIL8

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm seriously wanting to get a Nylon string 7 string. I have an AJ307 that I love, but the string spacing isn't very conducive for finger picking, and I'd like to have the option for a Nylon String sound.

I've checked this one out a few times, any thoughts on it?

https://www.rondomusic.com/Agile_Renaissance_Class_72527_EQ_CUT_NA.html

I'm not opposed to buying used if anyone has suggestions on some models that were made in the past.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Rondo stuff is probably the best overall option.

Gianni made (makes?) a 7, but quality was spotty. Not that the Rondo is guaranteed to be perfect, but I've gotten a few acoustics from them, and they're great for the price.

Ibanez had a 7 recently, but I'd still go with the Rondo unless a used one pops up for dead cheap.

Honestly, the best 7-string classical purposed guitar I've ever played (that wasn't some super expensive custom job) was the thin-line Godin Multiac 7. They just sound so good, and are built really well. If you want the Classical spacing and feel, but don't absolutely need a full acoustic I can't recommend the Godin enough.

MIL8

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Rondo stuff is probably the best overall option.

Gianni made (makes?) a 7, but quality was spotty. Not that the Rondo is guaranteed to be perfect, but I've gotten a few acoustics from them, and they're great for the price.

Ibanez had a 7 recently, but I'd still go with the Rondo unless a used one pops up for dead cheap.

Honestly, the best 7-string classical purposed guitar I've ever played (that wasn't some super expensive custom job) was the thin-line Godin Multiac 7. They just sound so good, and are built really well. If you want the Classical spacing and feel, but don't absolutely need a full acoustic I can't recommend the Godin enough.

Thanks a lot, I always appreciate your input. I'll probably pull the trigger on the Agile once I move some stuff I have for sale. The Godin looks interesting but I'd like to have a full acoustic, and having a fanned fret guitar is also something I've wanted to try.

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Ibanez AJ307 as well, where do you guys get acoustic 7 string sets at? Ive had to “build my own”.

MIL8

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just order the single string in the gauge I want.

Winspear

Tom Winspear
Reaction score
Yeah stringsbymail has an excellent selection. I go for the Savarez 7-13 string section (strings 7-13 of the harpstyle tunings that are typical of classical guitars, i.e 7 = D, 8 = C, 9 = B, 10 = A, 11 = G, 12 = F , 13 = E) These are of course approximations dependent on your scale and tension preferences.

The Agile probably is your best bet. Ibanez made an 8, Ortega too, but 7 strings are considerably more rare than 8. There is the Kremona Fiesta CW7. Bartolex/Milagro. But Agile is likely the cheapest for sure.

rikomaru

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Ibanez AJ307 as well, where do you guys get acoustic 7 string sets at? Ive had to “build my own”.
I use electric flatwound 7 sets on the AJ307. The 7 string hunt for acoustic sets has been frustrating for me in the past. Lol