Opeth - In Cauda Venenum (New Album 2019)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Sammy J, May 24, 2019.

1. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    I find the tone on Morningrise to be perfect for what they were shooting for. It's clear and cold which supports some of their blackened influences, showing off a musicianship clinic of melodies and bass throughout. The only detriment is the lack of heft to drumming and vocals, but frankly I'm so used to it, the thing would just be wrong otherwise. It's a very bleak melodic record, and the razor blade guitar tone seems to help, IMO. The bass work by John De Farfalla is stunning. It's an entirely separate argument over the lack of structure and ideas flowing into each other without much repeated motif, yet somehow it all resolved because of the melodic conclusion to each arrangement within each song. It's not catchy, so it's the most difficult album to follow, and I definitely understand the production qualms. For me, it works.

Razerjack, fps and KailM like this.
  2. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I'll never get tried of Children Of Bodom or In Flames clone bands. I've and endless list of melodic death metal bands to check out.

Mathemagician likes this.
  3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Agreed. It’s a very thin, distinctive sound that Swano gave to his other production jobs at the time (Edge of Sanity, Novembre’s early stuff) probably cause it was all he knew how to do since as the years went on he started sounding like every other modern metal album with their sound. But, that thin sound gives every instrument a clean space in the mix and since the first two Opeth albums, especially Morningrise, are practically just three instrument counterpoint sessions a lot of the time the hard-panned rhythm guitar parts and very loud and trebley bass are exactly the best sound. And the weird reverbs vocals give them a mysterious sound that fits perfectly with the songs. I think they’d sound really bad with the modern Opeth production. They kinda sound creakier on their live albums in a way the original albums don’t. Though part of that is Martin vastly dumbing down the Morningrise bass parts since he wouldn’t play on anything more than a four string!

MAJ Meadows SF and fps like this.
  4. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

What's up with that anyway? Was it supposed to fade out and they accidentally cut the fading or wtf :lol: The final acoustic part starts very abruptly too, so maybe it wasn't supposed to be there to begin with?

5. wankerness

I always assumed it was on purpose? There are plenty of songs out there with abrupt cuts like that.

6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Sure, it might be, but it just doesn't make any sense.

7. wankerness

At the end of the song the narrator’s chilling in prison and starting to get used to it and passes out, and in White Cluster the executioners come knocking at his door and wake him up. So, it can be read to be his fitful rest being abruptly ended.

More likely they kinda started writing themselves into a corner with those last riffs on Serenity Painted Death, couldn’t come up with an ending, and Mikael said “let’s just cut it off, not even with a fade-out” and the other guys said lolz.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    KailM likes this.
  8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Ah, sure, that's possible. I haven't given the lyrics any thought so I wouldn't know...

9. fps

fps Kit

Allegedly it's because Mikael didn't want all the last 4 songs on the album to fade out.

But in that case, write an ending? Like -> DU-DU DUH DU-DU DUH. DAH!

10. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Not interested at all...they absolutely lost me after Peter Lindgren left.

ArtDecade, fps, Triple7 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Razerjack

Razerjack SS.org Regular

I believe Pale Communion would be considered a prog classic and one of Opeth's best work in maybe 10 years time. Seeing them write in Swedish is a breath of fresh air, all positive hopes for this one.

avandarcs, vilk and MAJ Meadows SF like this.
  12. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

First small 30 seconds of a new track are in this teaser:

If we are going at this rate in 2 records, tops, we will be back at Prog-Death.

13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

It has some slight early Opeth elements in it. I wouldn't guess it was them from hearing but I am getting excited they are going the Bodom route with a throwback sounding album.

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  14. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

@Lorcan Ward which Bodom album? Haven't listened to these guys since "Hate Crew Deathroll" as they started repeating themselves and getting super stale.

Opeth - I wouldn't keep my hopes up until they don't get rid of the keyboardist. As long as there are keyboards there is bound to be some schlock, lets face it, John Lord he ain't :)

15. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

But they had keys on every single record, didn't they? And Ghost Reveries is easily part of their best output (personally best record, anyways) which had the first full time player.

I have no idea where the problem with keys would be.

Exchanger likes this.
  16. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

Morningrise - Blackwater Park is Opeth's golden era. Keyboards were used very sparingly on those records.

But I wouldn't say that having a keyboardist is their problem. It's more Mike wanting to ape his favorite 70s bands and doing so in rather boring fashion.

Emperoff and setsuna7 like this.
  17. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

$10 says these are the most brutal moments on the album.

Opion and Razerjack like this.
  18. wankerness

The keyboards really aren't integrated with the rest of the music in any substantial way before Damnation. There's some piano intros/outros on Blackwater Park/Deliverance, there's that organ/guitar solo epilogue and like 3 notes of piano in the intro on MAYH, there's a piano track on Orchid, but there's nothing that remotely sounds like there's a keyboard player as a full member of the band till D2/GR.

19. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

New single's up

20. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

aaaaaaannnnnnnnnddddddd it's gone