Opeth - In Cauda Venenum (New Album 2019)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Sammy J, May 24, 2019.

1. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I can't really rank a "top 10 songs" since I tend to only listen to Opeth albums when I have time to listen to the whole thing, uninterrupted. But some top honors go to; no particular order:

A Fair Judgement
    Prologue/April Ethereal
    Ghost of Perdition
    The Baying of the Hounds
    Reverie/Harlequin Forest
    The Drapery Falls
    Windowpane
    Under the Weeping Moon
    Forest of October
    Hessian Peel

MAJ Meadows SF and Sammy J like this.
  2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

When Opeth first made the switch, I was like "This is OK but it's too bad that they gave up death metal"...

...and now I only listen to their newer albums :lol:

People are all like "it's not metal anymore it's prog rock!"... and, while I get that it's certainly no longer an extremely progressive form of death metal, it's still certainly much heavier than any 70s prog rock band I can think of. Or I should say, if someone knows some 70's prog rock bands that are as heavy as Opeth, please recommend them so I can check that shit out!

Razerjack and Seybsnilksz like this.
  3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

01. Ghost of Perdition
    02. Ghost of Perdition
    03. Ghost of Perdition
    04. Ghost of Perdition
    05. Ghost of Perdition
    06. Ghost of Perdition
    07. Ghost of Perdition
    08. Ghost of Perdition
    09. Ghost of Perdition
    10. Ghost of Perdition

CTID, Emperoff and sakeido like this.
  4. Acrid

Acrid SS.org Regular

In no particular order, well after the first two at least

Demon of the Fall
    Serenity Painted Death
    In the Mist She Was Standing
    The Baying Of The Hounds
    The Amen Corner
    Under The Weeping Moon
    Deliverance
    Bleak
    The Drapery Falls
    April Ethereal

fps likes this.
  5. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Well, rather Krautrock, but the earlie Jon Roth Scorpions had some damn heavy tracks.

Just play the same song with modern amps and guitars and the stuff is still heavy af.

Especially the main riff from 1:16 forward is a total banger.

possumkiller and vilk like this.
  6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Harlequin Forest > Ghost of Perdition.

:)

I'm definitely in the camp of mostly preferring the newest material to their oldest material. It's different, sure, but I'd rather a band put out drastically different stuff than just get rehashes of the same material over and over again.

MAJ Meadows SF and chopeth like this.
  7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Top 10 songs is a hard one. I usually listen to them as albums cause I'm listening for the brilliant moments within songs. Often the songs themselves have problems. Ex, that endless intro to The Moor keeps that one off the list, the endless outro to A Fair Judgement keeps that one off the list (I do love the outros to Deliverance and Harlequin Forest, AFJ's just sucks).

Favorite/imo most consistently great songs:

Baying of the Hounds
    When
    Demon of the Fall
    Benighted
    Ghost of Perdition
    To Bid You Farewell
    The Leper Affinity
    The Funeral Portrait
    Bleak
    Godhead's Lament

MAJ Meadows SF and setsuna7 like this.
  8. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Definitely. I love early Scorpions. The songs were a lot more heavy back then. The debut album with both Schenker brothers (Michael at 16 playing a Les Paul) is badass as well. Like a crazy mix of Sabbath, Zeppelin, and Floyd.

9. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Ah, Opeth. I remember I wanted to get the band logo tattooed on my shoulder. Then they released Heritage... :lol:

As for a top 10 list... Kinda hard as like many others I really enjoy hearing the whole albums uninterrupted. But hey, I'll bite.

1 - Hours Of Wealth <- The song that hooked me into them.
    2 - Ghost Of Perdition
    3 - The Drapery Falls
    4 - Bleak
    5 - Harvest
    6 - Windowpane
    7 - Face Of Melinda
    8 - The Lotus Eater
    9 - Demon Of The Fall
    10 - The Night And The Silent Water

And I'm leaving a fuckton of favourite songs behind. Can't stand anything after Watershed (which I love).

MAJ Meadows SF and chopeth like this.
  10. wankerness

I never could get into Watershed, it felt half-baked. The only song I ever went back to regularly was Hessian Peel. Lotus Eater had that entertaining Castlevania section, I guess that was worth repeat listens too.

11. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I didn't really care for Watershed that much at first, but I will admit that it's grown on me a lot over the years. At the same time, I was huge on Ghost Reveries when it first came out (not that I was in the minority on that one, the critical response to that album at the time was basically universal praise), but nowadays I don't think it's the masterpiece that many people do. The highs are just as high as all the best Opeth, but I'll be honest, I think the slow tracks (Atonement, Hours of Wealth, Isolation Years) really drag it down. I know I'm gonna be in the minority on that one.
    Damn, even picking only 10 songs is hard enough. Ranking them would just be an exercise in cruelty.

- Demon of the Fall
    - The Moor
    - Benighted
    - The Leper Affinity
    - The Drapery Falls
    - Blackwater Park
    - Ghost of Perdition
    - Reverie/Harlequin Forest
    - Heir Apparent
    - The Lotus Eater

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  12. wankerness

I think Atonement and Hours of Wealth's back half definitely are pace-killers, but oh well. I think Isolation Years is fine.

13. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I'm really surprised how much love SSO is giving Ghost Reveries, because I remember when that album came out a lot of Opeth fans were not happy. Being a typical 15yo metal elitist I jumped on the hate bandwagon right away, until my friend who back then rarely ever used the internet was telling me how he thinks it's Opeth's best album. And then after I gave it a fair chance I had to admit it's really pretty good.

These days, I might even say that it's the best Opeth album from their death metal period. Or rather, that it perfectly bridges the gap between "old Opeth" and "new Opeth", even better than Watershed despite that that album came after.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I really suspect that it's just the usual push back for doing anything different than what's established. I sort of see three eras of Opeth stuff, and a lot of the fanbases for each don't seem to overlap much.

vilk likes this.
  15. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

I like the first two eras. When the keyboardist first came on permanent, I thought they were at their peak and only awesomeness lay ahead. When Peter and Lopez left, they drifted off down a path I don't really care for.

Emperoff and fps like this.
  16. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

This pretty much sums it up for me.

Nothing on Heritage caught my ear. Pale Communion is a pretty good album. Sorceress has some decent stuff on it as well. None of those albums, however, stand up to anything that came before them.

17. wankerness

I don’t remember WHY it got hate at the time. I remember being confounded by it. To my ears, it was objectively much more intricate and better-produced than Deliverance at the very least. It was very quickly my second favorite after MAYH. I really don’t see what elements could be objectionable to anyone that made it through D1/D2. Open tuning?

18. fps

fps Kit

I saw them 2 or 3 times with Peter. He was brilliant, BUT I remember them playing Advent and him messing up a clean part in the middle. He had to play it four times as well, and it kept coming round to that bit! He had a bit of a smile each time it came round, the crowd was well with him, really funny and memorable haha.

I don't bother with Opeth any more. They were extraordinary. Now it's a totally different band and it's generic rehashed music from the past.

Emperoff likes this.
  19. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Sorry for being investigatory, but that's just not true. I mean, there's clearly influence from 70s prog bands, but I don't think you could name one that actually sounds anything like modern Opeth. I love 70s prog like Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Genesis etc., but simply put none of those bands get anywhere even close to as heavy as modern Opeth. Now I totally get it that Opeth isn't as heavy as they used to be, but that doesn't somehow mean that they aren't obviously much more metal than any of the bands that people accuse them of sounding "just like". It's not generic or rehashed. Or, if you are sure that it is, then maybe you could provide an example? Dudeman above listed that rockin' Scorpions track as an example of 70s rock that was very heavy for it's time, but lets face it that doesn't sound like Opeth.

avandarcs and GRUNTKOR like this.
  20. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Reading through all of this and always scratch my head a bit how much Deliverance is overlooked by about well... everyone. Guys go listen to Deliverance, seriously.

Also I tend to agree it seemed like when Lopez/Peter were in the band there was just some great synergy and those guys just seemed humble and loved music. I think it's something you can realy feel come through with those albums they were on. I hate to say it but Mikael just seems more self indulgent per-se though not to take anything away from him musically as he's brilliant (or was).