Open C Tuning, Coated Strings, Etc

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Cheap, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

Hey Everyone,

I just dropped the tuning on my guitars to Open C--I don't think it's the Devin Townsend one. From low to high its CGCEGC.

Right now I'm using a set of 12-52's and really dig the tension across the board although I could probably bump up to a 56 on the low C.

My issue is that my sweat usually burns through a set of strings pretty quickly so I've moved over to Elixirs while we get into Arizona summer heat. Are there any other sets of coated strings out there that have a similar lifespan or approach as the Elixirs? I think they sell single strings, but I feel pretty limited to this one set just out of convenience. While I'm happy with the Elixirs I'm definitely open to trying out anything really--just don't know where to start

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Cleartone makes coated strings: Maybe a 11-56 or 12-60 set? They do offer custom gauge packs too, so you can essentially built a custom set--and they appear to have a lot of gauge options.

D'addario makes coated electric strings but I don't think they make them passed a 52 gauge.

Ernie Ball has their RPS Coated series which you could check out an 11-54 or 12-56 set, and they are pretty good at offering singles as well for most of their string types.

DR Strings makes a few coated sets, but if you want something higher than a 52 you probably need to grab a 7-string set. Although, I believe they will do singles as well.

3. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I just did this with my Gibson 225, 12-54s. Plain 20 for the third string sounds weird though so I'll have to switch to a set with a wound third.

Not with coated strings, if I mistakenly gave the impression for a minute that I might have something useful to add to the thread.

4. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

I would not recommend Cleartone, if you like Elixir strings. My sweat completely destroys them in less than a week, most regular strings last longer than that. Elixirs, on the other hand, are usable for a very long time.

5. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular