(Old) NAD: Practice amps CAN sound good! Randall RG25RXM

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hope no one minds me posting all my new gear crap 😅 (i know some of you do, keep scrolling)

So i got a super cheap randall rg25rxm practice amp. 25watts, real spring reverb. Its honestly not too shabby and sounds surprisingly good for a 1x8" ss combo! Im boosting with an mxr m77.
It lacks lowend but sits perfectly in a mix with bass imo! Check it out!

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Hope no one minds me posting all my new gear crap 😅 (i know some of you do, keep scrolling)

So i got a super cheap randall rg25rxm practice amp. 25watts, real spring reverb. Its honestly not too shabby and sounds surprisingly good for a 1x8" ss combo! Im boosting with an mxr m77.
It lacks lowend but sits perfectly in a mix with bass imo! Check it out!

It is coming to a point where I think that perhaps YOU are the thing that sounds good and the gear is just there for it :lol:

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It is coming to a point where I think that perhaps YOU are the thing that sounds good and the gear is just there for it :lol:
Thanks but decent gear is decent gear, people just need to know how to use it! (and not spread disinformation about something being shitty when its not the gears fault)

So what are some other decent practice amps? Id say the peavey rage falls into the catagory.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks but decent gear is decent gear, people just need to know how to use it! (and not spread disinformation about something being shitty when its not the gears fault)

So what are some other decent practice amps? Id say the peavey rage falls into the catagory.

Rage for sure. Even the more recent ones with cheap plastic pots sound great. Eventually I will cut a red stripe Rage into a head.

I never won't take an opportunity to post this haha, hard even for me to believe it sounds like this. Little fucker has some meat on its bones. No pedals, everything at 11.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IMO "practice" amps sound best dimed. They will never have enough headroom to have a clean sound that doesn't sound like it's coming out of a shitty little box, but the ones with decent circuits and speakers you can push hard and the compression does wonders for the box-factor.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Rage for sure. Even the more recent ones with cheap plastic pots sound great. Eventually I will cut a red stripe Rage into a head.

I never won't take an opportunity to post this haha, hard even for me to believe it sounds like this. Little fucker has some meat on its bones. No pedals, everything at 11.

That is one raggedy ass tone! I love it!

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Trademark 10 & 30 from Tech21 NYC are amazing practice amps too (best solid state mesa tone IMHO - they're based on the Sansamp GT2 pedal).
From tube amps I'd consider the Marshall DSL1c & DSL5c for instant thrash tones (& not only... )