cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
Someone did also post the equivalent (give or take) with a specific reverb block setup on the fractal forum.
If we're thinking of the same one, I actually preferred that guy's reverb settings to the hi rez cabs that I messed around with, but admittedly I didn't spend much time with the hi rez cabs and spending more time probably wouldn't have helped me because I don't know what I'm doing. That reverb block just drops in and sounds great. Done.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do you still use fullres when using monitors?
I think it works best with headphones but I do like it with monitors too. I would turn it down a bit more in that situation.

For recording I probably wouldn't use it except for sections where other instruments are not getting in the way. It's probably not ideal for high gain tones either.

The Thing Upstairs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think it works best with headphones but I do like it with monitors too. I would turn it down a bit more in that situation.

For recording I probably wouldn't use it except for sections where other instruments are not getting in the way. It's probably not ideal for high gain tones either.

That may explain why I don't dig it. I use 800s and higher gain amps and play through monitors. Its good to have but not for me at the moment.

I've just picked up an FC12 and am now working on layouts. Fun!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Discovered two more solid patches in the recesses of my Axe - one being a 50W Plexi model that's perfect for the Zeppelin/ZZ Top "right on the edge of breaking up" sound. The other being a JVM model that has the right amount of crunch and midrange snarl for Children of Bodom/BLS/Mastodon.

At some point I'm gonna need to copy the handful of patches into a backup file so I can have them after I factory reset it and make my own

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am curious, those of you who play through monitors, what do you play through, and why?

Maybe I am crazy, but thinking about giving the monitors thing a try again with my Axe II. Maybe a sub will be the difference maker....

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am curious, those of you who play through monitors, what do you play through, and why?

Maybe I am crazy, but thinking about giving the monitors thing a try again with my Axe II. Maybe a sub will be the difference maker....
Genelec M040. Tried it with a sub once and felt it was unnecessary.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Genelec M040. Tried it with a sub once and felt it was unnecessary.
I thought the sub might help with the low end rumble feel you get when playing a big 412 cab. Something you feel more than you hear.

I recently got some of those TV Soundbars with Bluetooth subs, and it amazes me how much those little things shake the house.

The Thing Upstairs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Adam a7x here as recommended by one of the fractal oracles, Leon Todd. I’m really happy with them. No need for a sub, they sound perfect as they are.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
There's probably something modern that has enough low end, otherwise you might need an actual cab to get you there.

One of the studios I recorded in had NS10's that were absolutely ridiculous for playback.... I asked the engineer if they had a sub and he said it was all NS10.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought the sub might help with the low end rumble feel you get when playing a big 412 cab. Something you feel more than you hear.
The afore-mentioned Genelecs already cover the frequency range all the way down to a regular bass guitar. So plenty of low end as is. Adding a sub to it just made it harder to keep the sound balanced and room issues became more noticeable.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score

From the new Beta release notes:

"20.01

Added Speaker Thump control to Amp block. Speaker Thump models the dynamic, nonlinear behavior of a guitar speaker. A value of 5.0 roughly corresponds to an amplifier running into a speaker rated at the same power as the amplifier, i.e., a 100W amplifier running into a 100W speaker. The reset value is a conservative 2.5 which represents, i.e., a 50W amp running into a 100W speaker. Note that the majority of the response is in the subsonic region and the effect is primarily tactile. Existing presets are not affected and the value will be zero."

Pick up a used III homie.

As for the sub, I'm using the little Eris 3.5" monitors because got a great deal on them and they work fine until I make the move to better monitors for more than just the Axe.

That said, I'm thinking that if I can find the Eris sub on a good deal, I may nab it and go from there.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Does Diamond have any (known) endorsees besides Rusty Cooley? I don't think I've ever seen them on a backline besides his.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
From the new Beta release notes:

"20.01

Added Speaker Thump control to Amp block. Speaker Thump models the dynamic, nonlinear behavior of a guitar speaker. A value of 5.0 roughly corresponds to an amplifier running into a speaker rated at the same power as the amplifier, i.e., a 100W amplifier running into a 100W speaker. The reset value is a conservative 2.5 which represents, i.e., a 50W amp running into a 100W speaker. Note that the majority of the response is in the subsonic region and the effect is primarily tactile. Existing presets are not affected and the value will be zero."

Pick up a used III homie.

As for the sub, I'm using the little Eris 3.5" monitors because got a great deal on them and they work fine until I make the move to better monitors for more than just the Axe.

That said, I'm thinking that if I can find the Eris sub on a good deal, I may nab it and go from there.
It seems like the last several updates in the III have been based around the low end, and speaker impedance interaction modeling, which has always been my biggest complaint on modelers. It might be time to grab one. I could buy a III Turbo right now if I wanted to, but I don't want to buy something just to buy something. I want to make sure it has a purpose and it just doesn't sit on my desk to be turned in every once in awhile for that kind of $$. I have thought the true value of the Axe-FX is kind of wasted if you are not using it in a recording situation where you are using the cab modeling and such.

I have been considering getting some better 412 cabs, but the more I think about it, I wonder if a better studio setup would be a better investment. I mostly play at home in my office, and don't even love the sound of the big stuff in my basement, lol. I have been loving stereo much more lately for a big sound at lower volumes, and running 2 tube amps with cabs sounds awesome, but such a PITA, lol.

I was thinking about picking up a pair of the Kali Audio LP-6 V2s, and possibly a Presonus or JBL Sub. It seems like those monitors get high praises for the price. I have an old set of M-Audio monitors that I have had for like 20 years, but they never sounded great for guitar, IMO.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
It seems like the last several updates in the III have been based around the low end, and speaker impedance interaction modeling, which has always been my biggest complaint on modelers. It might be time to grab one. I could buy a III Turbo right now if I wanted to, but I don't want to buy something just to buy something. I want to make sure it has a purpose and it just doesn't sit on my desk to be turned in every once in awhile for that kind of $$. I have thought the true value of the Axe-FX is kind of wasted if you are not using it in a recording situation where you are using the cab modeling and such.

I have been considering getting some better 412 cabs, but the more I think about it, I wonder if a better studio setup would be a better investment. I mostly play at home in my office, and don't even love the sound of the big stuff in my basement, lol. I have been loving stereo much more lately for a big sound at lower volumes, and running 2 tube amps with cabs sounds awesome, but such a PITA, lol.

I was thinking about picking up a pair of the Kali Audio LP-6 V2s, and possibly a Presonus or JBL Sub. It seems like those monitors get high praises for the price. I have an old set of M-Audio monitors that I have had for like 20 years, but they never sounded great for guitar, IMO.
For the cost of an axe fx, if you use 2 amps and 2 effect sounds that would cost 3x in the real world then that’s your value right there imo. Buy a used mk1, spend some time with it. If you arent won over, sell it for what you paid. Then at least you wont have to guess.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just looked up which Diamond they based it on, and they chose the Del Fuego. From what I can tell that's the boutique amp that's meant to emulate a Marshall 2061. Weird choice since Diamonds are more known (...well, as known as they can be :lol: ) for their more hot-rodded and high-gain amps.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For the cost of an axe fx, if you use 2 amps and 2 effect sounds that would cost 3x in the real world then that’s your value right there imo. Buy a used mk1, spend some time with it. If you arent won over, sell it for what you paid. Then at least you wont have to guess.
I have had my Axe-FX II for about 10 years now, so I know Fractal well. :)

I am always switching between rigs, just because. I have just been thinking lately maybe I need more smaller stuff, and less huge stuff.

I did go ahead and order a pair of Kali Lp6 V2's today, so I will start messing with my Axe II and those to see what I can get, to see if I think it would be worth the upgrade. I have been plugging it into a set of multimedia speakers with sub lately, and getting better results than I did the last time I tried it a few years ago. Using those skills I have learned doing other things, lol.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I just looked up which Diamond they based it on, and they chose the Del Fuego. From what I can tell that's the boutique amp that's meant to emulate a Marshall 2061. Weird choice since Diamonds are more known (...well, as known as they can be :lol: ) for their more hot-rodded and high-gain amps.

Never even heard of the 2061, but it looks like Marshall tried to make an idiot proof amp head since it's legit just a tone/volume knob control scheme. Something tells me I'd absolutely hate trying to use that head.