OD and distortion pedals in front of high gains amps

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For those looking to try out a Rat as a boost, I highly recommend you give the Joyo Splinter a shot. It's super cheap and has a couple of mode switches so you can tweak the tone even more than a standard Rat pedal.
The Splinter is a Fat Rat clone. The Fat Rat is basically a White Face reissue with additional options.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Proco rat into a 6505+ lead channel is pretty awesome sounding. I also found the swollen pickle does a hm-2 tone similar to how END does it. Maxon st-9 pro plus is another I find to work really well, and the mxr m77 works great too. For my orange cr120 I lately have been running my hm-2w into the dirty channel. For whatever reason I can't get the hm-2 to work right with my 6505+. But yeah. There's my two cents.
I had piss poor results with a hm-2 in front of a 6505+ as well. Makes me wonder if it is that Peavey midrange jivving weird with the chainsaw EQ.

KnightBrolaire

mortuus intus
Reaction score
I had piss poor results with a hm-2 in front of a 6505+ as well. Makes me wonder if it is that Peavey midrange jivving weird with the chainsaw EQ.
The mids on the hm_2 are very picky ime .

The pickle is a better hm-2 than the actual thing imo (the guys in END came to the same conclusion if you watch their rig rundown). Way more tweakable and useful tbh. I run mine in front of my amps for crusty hardcore riffage or if I just want some extra gnar. Abominable's Evil Ned is another good option if you just want to add gnar without too much extra distortion. The metalzone can also do the hm2 sound with much better tweakability ime.

.I've tried a bunch of boosts over the years but the only ones I'd go out of my way to recommend are the KSR Eros and Airis Savage drive. Both play nice with a wide range of amps and can get quite aggressive.

DestroyMankind

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The mids on the hm_2 are very picky ime .

The pickle is a better hm-2 than the actual thing imo (the guys in END came to the same conclusion if you watch their rig rundown). Way more tweakable and useful tbh. I run mine in front of my amps for crusty hardcore riffage or if I just want some extra gnar. Abominable's Evil Ned is another good option if you just want to add gnar without too much extra distortion. The metalzone can also do the hm2 sound with much better tweakability ime.

.I've tried a bunch of boosts over the years but the only ones I'd go out of my way to recommend are the KSR Eros and Airis Savage drive. Both play nice with a wide range of amps and can get quite aggressive.
I have a Dunn effects death knob that is pretty awesome. Just the eq section of an hm-2 but for some reason it seems to lack the low end. I've run that in my effects loop as well as in front of my 6505+ with decent results, but yeah the swollen pickle just destroys. I do a lot of gallop picking and that's where I have an issue with the actual hm-2, but the swollen pickle seems to handle it well.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This probably isn't new but this guy does all kinds of chainsaw pedal demos

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
For those looking to try out a Rat as a boost, I highly recommend you give the Joyo Splinter a shot. It's super cheap and has a couple of mode switches so you can tweak the tone even more than a standard Rat pedal.

Sorry a rat copy called splinter? Full marks.
its for the 'shredder' in all of us

owlexifry

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I build a lot of pedals for the fun it it, so I am always making OD pedals. Right now I have a Pearl OD-05 Parametric Overdrive clone I am about to finish.
how’s the pearl OD-05?
i’ve been doing the same, building clones on veroboard.

so far i’ve built/tried:
custom badass modified OD
way huge swollen pickle mkII
fulltone OCD
SD-1
KOT (single channel)
klone
bjfe/mad prof little green wonder
GT-OD / ZW-44
OD-1
OD808
TS808
DOD250

but yep, my favorites are still SD-1 and OD808

(the RAT is on my list, and the comments here are getting my hopes up a bit..)

Edika

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've tried the classic Maxon OD808 and two more unconventional pedals as boosts, the TC Electronics Black Matter and the Boss MT-2. The OD808 has been the better choice so far to work well with most of the amps I've tried. I think the only amp I have only a small benefit using it is the Peavey 5150II. It can hang well without the boost and really also depends on the guitar and pickups. The Boss MT-2 needs to have the output at about half otherwise it's too much even with the gain at 0! But it has the most tweakable EQ of the other pedals. The TC is quite interesting and has bass and treble controls plus two mid options that are looser or tighter.

I find the boosts work better in low volumes where the tone is more undefined and somewhat muddy. If you increase the volume and the signal compresses more, you can get away without one unless the amp is really dark.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
how’s the pearl OD-05?
i’ve been doing the same, building clones on veroboard.

so far i’ve built/tried:
custom badass modified OD
way huge swollen pickle mkII
fulltone OCD
SD-1
KOT (single channel)
klone
bjfe/mad prof little green wonder
GT-OD / ZW-44
OD-1
OD808
TS808
DOD250

but yep, my favorites are still SD-1 and OD808

(the RAT is on my list, and the comments here are getting my hopes up a bit..)
I only tried it for like an hour because it is not 100% complete yet, but it is cool, but different than I expected. I thought it was going to be a Tubescreamer with a parametric mid band, but it is more of a flat transparent booster that can add some grit like a Tubescreamer, and then you can can sweep the mids. The mid sweep in mine is uneven (70% of the sweep is in 5% the knob turn), but it seems cool. It wont tighten like a TS, but it is cool to add some grit to a sound.

custom badass modified OD - Own one
way huge swollen pickle mkII - Built a clone
fulltone OCD - Have a Joyo Clone
SD-1 - Own one
KOT (single channel) - Havent tried, but I did build a Bluesbreaker clone
klone - Built a clone
bjfe/mad prof little green wonder - Haven't tried this. A TS clone?
GT-OD / ZW-44 - Own a MXR Classic OD, which is the same
OD-1 - Haven't tried but I know it is basically a SD-1 without a tone control
OD808 - Own a Maxon
TS808 - Have several variations and clones
DOD250 - Own one
RAT - Built 2 clones, one stock, one with clipping options and a sweep pot.

One of my favorite ODs is the Way Huge Green Rhino Mk II. I own one, and also built a clone of one. I have a few more PCBs for more also if I ever need them, lol. It is like the CBAOD on paper, but I think it sounds better. It chugs with you in feel more.

I have built so many clones that would take a thread to itself, lol. I think some of my favorites are clones of the Duncan 805, Timmy 3, Precision Drive, Buxom Boost, Naga Viper, and VFE Ice Scream, which is a cool Tubescreamer with more EQ and parametric mids based pedal. I have many others, but find myself using those the most.

col

blah.
Reaction score
My fav pedal tone is a Maxon od9 to a DR.

Others I've tried, Keeley DS1 had completely over the top gain and compression, instant SotS tone in front of a 5150. JHS 3 series OD, flat range boost with a ton of volume. If you want a less colored boost than a Ts this is great.

My current fav is the Emg pa2 volume boost. Just pure volume and nothing else, and I don't need to tap dance for solos.

squids

Reaction score
i have a Fortin 33 that i use in front of a Science Decolonizer, which i guess sounds like SLO100. Sounds pretty dang good in front, could not get it to sound good with the 33 in the effects loop so stuck it in front. Nice tight Rust In Peace tone.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i have a Fortin 33 that i use in front of a Science Decolonizer, which i guess sounds like SLO100. Sounds pretty dang good in front, could not get it to sound good with the 33 in the effects loop so stuck it in front. Nice tight Rust In Peace tone.
A booster pedal like that would sound horrible in the effects loop. Probably sounded like an AM radio, lol.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yea that would filter like all of the bass out below 300hz.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
not sure where to post this so here is goes: anyone have an 800 number for amptweaker? i have a tight metal pro original built by james brown in 2013. i unpacked it after a recent move and its dead. powers up...no sound. it was working fine when i packed it up 2 years ago. ( its been in storage ) i tried the 'new' amp tweaker website contact portal asking for assistance but so far its radio silence.

Jchris65

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I use the peavey valve king 100 Amp head and it's decent but recently I have been using a dark horizon distortion pedal with it and using a Ibanez tube screamer for solo boosts

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
I see people talking about putting rats in front of a 6505. Y'all should try boosting that ratt with a tubescreamer. Instant hm2 but with definition.

JediMasterThrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Modern high gain amps and pickups are already too tight, use an OD with bass/treble knobs (Versus a tone knob) so that you can add some bass back in to make it less dry. The OD engaged still noticeably cuts the low-end "thwump" which keeps the amp from being muddy, while the 100-200hz bump really thickens it back up.

Something like the custom badass or the green rhino are great options for that. Tip, use a smidge of gain/compression on the OD, keep the volume at unity, and turn the gain down slightly on the amp. You get added sustain without added noise.

When using a lower gain channel on a high-gain amp, I like the xotic pedals, as these have a real smooth distortion (and the low-control), so I can get a good amount of distortion to keep it singing while still keeping the amp itself in low or mid-gain territory. Makes for a nice clean/smooth singing lead tone.

For high gain though, the SD-1 style circuit really adds that right mids crunch saturation to a high gain amp different from a TS9. i think it's just a better frequency peak choice.

Some pedals just don't have a good noise floor though :):cough:: dunes), plug that into the front of a high gain amp and it's buzz city.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Modern high gain amps and pickups are already too tight, use an OD with bass/treble knobs (Versus a tone knob) so that you can add some bass back in to make it less dry. The OD engaged still noticeably cuts the low-end "thwump" which keeps the amp from being muddy, while the 100-200hz bump really thickens it back up.
I like to still cut the low and boost with an eq later right at 120 hz to get the bass back with good clarity.

Latest posts