Obsidious (ex-Obscura)

Rosal76

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@chopeth I'm pretty sure you have already listened to this BUT I thought it was pretty nice... perfect balance between clean melodic vocals

+1. After years of listening to the clean vocals on the Cynic and Obscura albums, I have finally accepted clean vocals on death metal albums. Had I listened to this song back in 1993 when I first got into death metal, I probably wouldn't have liked it. Guess I have to thank Cynic and Obscura for opening my mind a little bit more.

Zhysick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
+1. After years of listening to the clean vocals on the Cynic and Obscura albums, I have finally accepted clean vocals on death metal albums. Had I listened to this song back in 1993 when I first got into death metal, I probably wouldn't have liked it. Guess I have to thank Cynic and Obscura for opening my mind a little bit more.

I am a big Cynic fan precisely because of the mix of death metal with clean vocals. But its actual death metal not melodic death metal... And that's what makes this better in my book

Sammy J

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love older Cynic, Obscura etc...but these are almost power metal like to me. I dunno.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I love older Cynic, Obscura etc...but these are almost power metal like to me. I dunno.
I think that exactly nails why I'm not into them. They are super cheezy and it's distracting to everything else going on. Not for me, but I also only really listen to Omnivium from Obscura.

chopeth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@chopeth I'm pretty sure you have already listened to this BUT I thought it was pretty nice... perfect balance between clean melodic vocals and brutal growls with the technical shit of obsc... obsidious on the background... I liked this one, also, the tone of the bass player reminds me of Steve DiGiorgio which is always a good thing

I have the obsession of not listening to any teaser before full albums are out, but did a few seconds exception and not too thrilled, maybe I need to listen to the whole product, or it will grow on me, but it seems to me like a mash up of exact obscura + clean singer... weird, we'll see... btw, I also LOVE cynic and the DiGiorgio reference made my pants hot ;)

Zhysick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the obsession of not listening to any teaser before full albums are out, but did a few seconds exception and not too thrilled, maybe I need to listen to the whole product, or it will grow on me, but it seems to me like a mash up of exact obscura + clean singer... weird, we'll see... btw, I also LOVE cynic and the DiGiorgio reference made my pants hot ;)

It's a full song not one of those short teasers that's why I listened to it but I get your point, I respect that. And I know about your love for DiGiorgio, that's why I named him hahaha the playing of this dude reminded me of Steve. The music is basically Obsura, yes, the very same thing, but I prefer the balance of clean voices over growls, more clean than growls... You know that I prefer clean voices anyway, nothing new haha
Cheers buddy!

chopeth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's a full song not one of those short teasers that's why I listened to it but I get your point, I respect that. And I know about your love for DiGiorgio, that's why I named him hahaha the playing of this dude reminded me of Steve. The music is basically Obsura, yes, the very same thing, but I prefer the balance of clean voices over growls, more clean than growls... You know that I prefer clean voices anyway, nothing new haha
Cheers buddy!
Let's see my friend, the more the better anyway, it'll probably grow on my as every piece of music these crazy german crew release. I can't wait for next Obscura with good old Muenzner and Thesseling, that must be awesome, though all time guturals, yeah, hehe. Same as with next Alkaloid or Grossmann, quality loads of shit incoming.

Viginez

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
clean vocals aside (which i like here, singer has a great voice), the solo for me is outstanding
surprised no one mentioned it, people already cover it on yt

HungryGuitarStudent

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
clean vocals aside (which i like here, singer has a great voice), the solo for me is outstanding
surprised no one mentioned it, people already cover it on yt

Yeah that solo is so well composed! I haven't been shutting up about Rafael's phrasing for weeks haha!

He actually posted an alternate version of the solo on his IG, which I even prefer to the recorded solo.

I guess I could eventually post a cover of that alternate solo on YT or IG since I learned it the day he posted it on IG (that's how much I liked it).

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
2nd single, surprised by how "untech" it is, plus a "Thordendalish" solo, bonus points for rhythmic spanking :lol:

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
I'm not against slow or simple stuff, but there wasn't any variety to be had in that song. Whatever they end up releasing I'll sit through and give a try since they're all super good players, but man, this isn't it lol.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
This track got me going in a way Obscura hasn't done before. I really dig it!

Giest

Never a tune you can dance to.
Contributor
Reaction score
The first track in this thread was whack a shit. Cookie cutter arpeggios and tapping, clean singing, not my thing at all. The second one I like a lot.

Pietjepieter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hum, this track did nothing for me. But it made me revisit the first one, fuck that is a sick track. Looking forward to the album! hoping more of the first song tho

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
If the rest of the album will be full on tech death I'd imagine this'll be a nice breather in between, but as anything else, nah, no thanks. The only thing that stood out to me was the thing at the end of the solo - it felt almost like a buildup to a more technical section, but then instead the song just went back to the same boring bs.