"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a Cricut, the printer for crafting, she doesn't have anything like it, but I can't find any for under like 250 bucks...

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
So, I just stumbled across this today, but I never really thought about the fact that for a harmonic to work, BOTH sides of the string (the nut side and the bridge side) need to be able to vibrate freely. I mean, I'm sure I knew that from a muting standpoint, but just now playing I thought it was weird that the bridge side of the string won't vibrate on that note if the nut side of the string is muted. I'm not sure I have a question here, but the physics of it are messing with my mind.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Completely overlooked that one as I tend to not go for "lite" versions, but reading the "brochure" it actually sounds pretty usable.
Have you considered a used Ibanez prestige?

But also I've been looking at a cricut because making custom vinyl stickers sounds fun, but I'd need a good printer too.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, I just stumbled across this today, but I never really thought about the fact that for a harmonic to work, BOTH sides of the string (the nut side and the bridge side) need to be able to vibrate freely. I mean, I'm sure I knew that from a muting standpoint, but just now playing I thought it was weird that the bridge side of the string won't vibrate on that note if the nut side of the string is muted. I'm not sure I have a question here, but the physics of it are messing with my mind.
When you play a harmonic, the harmonic node divides the string into multiple vibrating lengths (half’s, thirds, fourths, etc.). If you mute one of those segments, it affects the vibration of the string as a whole and also the division of the string into the segments. So they all have to be free to vibrate in order to get her harmonic.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
When you play a harmonic, the harmonic node divides the string into multiple vibrating lengths (half’s, thirds, fourths, etc.). If you mute one of those segments, it affects the vibration of the string as a whole and also the division of the string into the segments. So they all have to be free to vibrate in order to get her harmonic.
Right, but it's weird that that's the case. Like, if you press a string down at the 12th fret, it vibrates between the 12 fret and bridge. If you play a harmonic at the 12th fret, it vibrates between the 12th fret and bridge. But not if you stop the vibration between the nut and the 12th fret. I don't know, it's just a weird concept to me. I totally understand what is going on, but it doesn't make it less weird when I think about it. Kind of like the Monty Hall problem - I understand it, but it just seems odd that it's the case.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Right, but it's weird that that's the case. Like, if you press a string down at the 12th fret, it vibrates between the 12 fret and bridge. If you play a harmonic at the 12th fret, it vibrates between the 12th fret and bridge. But not if you stop the vibration between the nut and the 12th fret. I don't know, it's just a weird concept to me. I totally understand what is going on, but it doesn't make it less weird when I think about it. Kind of like the Monty Hall problem - I understand it, but it just seems odd that it's the case.
When you play natural harmonics, even though you're emphasizing one particular partial you're still playing the whole open string. You can't touch any part of the open string without muting it when playing it normally, so you can't do it with harmonics either. That's how I explain it to myself to make it not seem weird.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
The way I think of it is this:
If you have a string vibrating at a single frequency you could imagine it being like one jump-rope looping back and forth. If you doubled the frequency of the movement that incites that rope, you'd have the rope spinning in such a way that you'd have a node in the middle and the two opposite sides would spin freely - but that mid point looks "stationary". If you add those two frequencies together so they're both playing, you still have the two independent osculations of each half, but the middle node will wobble at the original frequency. Playing the harmonic is like holding the middle node in place so that it can't wobble at the lower frequency, so you're left only with the higher frequency. The whole rope/string is always active the whole time though.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The way I think of it is this:
If you have a string vibrating at a single frequency you could imagine it being like one jump-rope looping back and forth. If you doubled the frequency of the movement that incites that rope, you'd have the rope spinning in such a way that you'd have a node in the middle and the two opposite sides would spin freely - but that mid point looks "stationary". If you add those two frequencies together so they're both playing, you still have the two independent osculations of each half, but the middle node will wobble at the original frequency. Playing the harmonic is like holding the middle node in place so that it can't wobble at the lower frequency, so you're left only with the higher frequency. The whole rope/string is always active the whole time though.
Right, that's a great analogy. It's like if you play a harmonic at the 12th fret. But it still messes with my mind, because if the middle of the rope (at the node) is not moving, then you could, in theory, hold it there. Because, if it's not moving unheld, then holding it wouldn't make a difference. But then if you do that, you would think (at least, I would) that what happens on each side of the rope is independent. But it isn't. The two sides communicate through that center point. So as one side goes up, the other side goes down. At the center point, I think even if you zoomed in, it would be really hard to see that anything is different over time. At least, at the super narrow area about the centerpoint. But the two sides are rotating around that centerpoint, so while that excact node isn't moving, the system is communicating through it. It's super cool, but it's not (at least to my brain) intuitive.

EDIT: Also, I should point out that I'm not high rn.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm too lazy to find it right now, but there's a series of youtube videos that show physical analogues for this kind of stuff using springs being swung around in this way.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I'm too lazy to find it right now, but there's a series of youtube videos that show physical analogues for this kind of stuff using springs being swung around in this way.
Yeah, I LOVE those sorts of videos. Like where if you drop a slinky, the bottom half moves up first, then falls. Same sort of concept - I'd expect the top part to fall to meet the bottom, and then it hit the floor. But once you release it, both sides pull to the center, despite gravity. Stuff like that is so cool.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
My wallet literally fell into pieces today so I ordered a Wallet Case for my phone, not one of the huge ones with the flap over top (why? why would you want that?), a click back one that holds a few cards. Trying to minimalize my life a bit, I'd like to just get dressed, grab my phone, keys, Swiss Army Knife and go, and I'm always looking for my freaking wallet, for some reason I cannot just put it in the same place. It's always in some other pants pocket or on the floor of my car or in the dirty clothes pile, etc. Gonna try and combine the two. Just wondering how long the hinge on this thing is gonna last and if I just end up buying a pocket wallet in the end anyways.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You didn't go the podcast bRo route and get a ridge wallet? (no offense if anyone has one, just sick of podcasters pushing them)

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
You didn't go the podcast bRo route and get a ridge wallet? (no offense if anyone has one, just sick of podcasters pushing them)
I always thought the idea of those were cool, but a hundred dollars for a freaking wallet? Sometimes I have less than freaking 100 dollars to put in it...not carrying a wallet that costs more than what I'm putting in it hahaha.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Don't forget:

Athletic Greens
Helix Mattresses
Squarespace
Mail Chimp
ADT
Raycon Headphones

And I'm sure even that list is still missing a few other ones for the podcasts I listen to

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Since this is the thread of going off on a tangent. Have you noticed how many ads there are now for whatever that company is that offers you a title of nobility for a fee? I recall the first time I saw that, thinking, "this has got to be the biggest bullshit business I've ever seen." Well, I keep seeing more and more of those, and so I looked it up and it's even more bullshit than I thought.

1. The company is based in China, not Scotland or whatever they say.
2. No country has whatever law that states that you attain a title of nobility by owning a souvenir plot of land, like the ads say (1 sqaure foot or whatever).
3. It appears that the souvenir land you own isn't even owned by you, since it's in like a national park, which is government owned.
4. So however many hundreds of USD for a piece of paper and your money probably all goes to scammers.
5. Scores, if not hundreds, of "content creators" or "influencers" or whatever are peddling this scam, probably without putting a moment of research into it.