"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
All the more reason to have robots to clean up shit.

When I first heard about Roomba, the robot vacuum cleaner, I thought they needed to make a robot to clean up dog shit in the back yard. Because I don't love to vacuum, but I don't hate it, either. But cleaning up dog shit is just the pits. So, if you gave me an allowance just enough to either buy the vacuuming robot or the dogshitpicking robot, I'd go for the dogshitpicker without a second thought.

But it'd be pretty easy, comparatively, to make a robot that rolls itself over to the toilet bowl, sprays a cleaner, and brushes the bowl, then wipes down the seat. If you could sell them in bulk, you could probably make them for around $1000 each, so it'd be cheaper long-term than hiring some poor sap to scrub the toilets (as if anyone really hires anyone to do that anymore, though).

But then again, I recall seeing a show on comedy central, where this comedian went out late at night and spoke with people doing crumby jobs, usually like taxi drivers or late-shift bus drivers or whatever, but once, when he was out in some small midwestern town, the guy he spoke with was hired to stand in the middle of the incoming stream of sewer water at the wastewater treatment plant, and pick out bits of rubber and plastic. It boggled my mind. Why not just install, IDK, like a grate or a screen? Nope, they had to hire some guy to pay minimum wage to wade up to his waist in sewage and handpick condoms out of the muck. Probably some big wig executive knew it would be cheaper to install a screen, but he just wanted someone to suffer. But, then again, I guess the guy doing the job could always quit if he doesn't like it. :shrug:

Anyway, bathroom cleaning robots. Someone start up a kickstarter for that.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"two kinds of people in the world"

Walking into the teacher lounge, I crank the paper towel dispenser and nothing comes out. Teacher next to me goes "oh, they're over there on the microwave, because why put it in the dispenser two days in a row?"

Without a word I pull out my leatherman, open the dispenser, load the paper towel roll, and crank myself out some paper towel.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This feels like it's going somewhere... Did you then melt the teacher into a puddle of goo with your dangerous brain powers?

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This feels like it's going somewhere... Did you then melt the teacher into a puddle of goo with your dangerous brain powers?

I left without a word, who knows what, if anything, she took from the "exchange."

Unrelated conversation with a kindergarten aide:

them: "Is that a knife on your belt?" 👀😕
me: "It's a leatherman."
them: "..."

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
My boss is sitting next to me eating a cucumber whole. Not slices, and no not a pickle. Is this weird? I don't know why I'm finding it weird!

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I mean, yeah it's not weird in general, but have you guys ever seen someone just eat a cucumber whole? I just don't think I've ever seen it done? I don't know why it's so weird.

I had an ex girlfriend who had a mentally unstable younger sister who would sneak cake mix and raw potatoes into her room and eat them whole.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I asked about the smaller ones because I eat those whole. Good driving food during my commute.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I suppose one could make it weird with the small ones too... Imagine driving by someone throating one of those

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean, yeah it's not weird in general, but have you guys ever seen someone just eat a cucumber whole? I just don't think I've ever seen it done? I don't know why it's so weird.

I had an ex girlfriend who had a mentally unstable younger sister who would sneak cake mix and raw potatoes into her room and eat them whole.
As long as the boss ain't staring you in the eye and saying things like, "Could be you next if you play your cards rightt," I don't know that it's that weird.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
At the same time, I’ve never seen anyone eat a cucumber whole, so it’s not very common.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
My boss actually is a woman I just didn't want to make that the weird part, I genuinely think it's just an odd thing to do haha.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

I get the feeling we have different meanings of "eat" something "whole."

1. Food placed entirely into the mouth and swallowed without chewing.
2. Food placed entirely into the mouth and chewed up.
3. Food entirely picked up and eaten by hand without cutting.
4. Something else?

I've only ever said something was eaten whole if no parts were wasted. But I feel like that definition is sort of redundant when talking about a cucumber or cake mix, since there isn't a part that typically gets discarded (unless your girlfriend's sister ate the cardboard box and plastic bag of the cake mix as well). So, like if someone ate an apple whole, then they ate the core and stem and seeds and stuff. But I'm positive that, in this context, what you mean by "eaten whole" refers to something else.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I get the feeling we have different meanings of "eat" something "whole."

1. Food placed entirely into the mouth and swallowed without chewing.
2. Food placed entirely into the mouth and chewed up.
3. Food entirely picked up and eaten by hand without cutting.
4. Something else?

I've only ever said something was eaten whole if no parts were wasted. But I feel like that definition is sort of redundant when talking about a cucumber or cake mix, since there isn't a part that typically gets discarded (unless your girlfriend's sister ate the cardboard box and plastic bag of the cake mix as well). So, like if someone ate an apple whole, then they ate the core and stem and seeds and stuff. But I'm positive that, in this context, what you mean by "eaten whole" refers to something else.
:lol:

I mean "ate whole" as in "no cutting up into little pieces or used as a garnish or topping, just picked off the vine and eaten top to bottom like an apple...banana? Subway Sub? I dont know."

And the cake mix, I should clarify, they just poured the mix in their mouth with no ingredients or cooking, and as for the potatoes...i have no idea...all I know is she took raw potatoes in the room, and none came out and she had no utensils...

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I mean, I've eaten a cucumber like that before. I eat lots of foods like that. Why dirty up a knife when you don't have to?

Somewhere out there on the internet, there's probably one of my coworkers asking the same question about me. :lol:

I wouldn't dare try to eat raw cake mix, though. When I was little, I did try to eat a raw potato, once. I'm surprised I didn't lose a tooth doing that. It was shockingly disgusting. I guess if they were those little bitty potatoes, you could try to just swallow them and hope for the best, but I would expect that they'd possibly make you sick if you eat too many like that. If they were the big Idaho potatoes, then gee, IDK how a person would do that, either.