"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
So, someone went to school for 7+ years, got good enough grades to start an internship, went through residency, became a surgeon, practiced for who knows how long, and then, after all of that stringent education, saw "vasectomy" on the paperwork, saw that the patient was a 4 year old child, and didn't feel it was necessary to double check with triage or check-in, just shrugged :shrug: and went ahead with the procedure...
:noplease:
Right! They look down and see some kids genitals with not a damn hair follicle in sight and just grabs a scalpel? The fuck?!

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
installed a g12k100 with one of my tornado stealth 80s and I don't know if I like it yet. Might go back to double stealth 80s.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Man did you guys know Marshall made a phone?

Well, I'm sure some Shenzhen company made a phone and Marshall logo'd it up but still, weird factoid. Never thought I'd see the marshall logo legitimately on a cell phone.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Man did you guys know Marshall made a phone?

Well, I'm sure some Shenzhen company made a phone and Marshall logo'd it up but still, weird factoid. Never thought I'd see the marshall logo legitimately on a cell phone.
Oh yeah that's right. It had two headphone jacks, to be like music-forward.

Are they still trying this weird lifestyle brand thing?

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
I always get confused when someone tells me they went to Hank Williams Jr High School. Did they go to Hank Williams Jr… high school, or Hank Williams… junior high school?
English language has a lot of phrases that can be interpreted in two different ways. Most music-related I can think of: "Cannibal Corpse"... is it a corpse of a person/creature, who happened to be a cannibal, or is it an undead creature with a taste for it's own kind?

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always get confused when someone tells me they went to Hank Williams Jr High School. Did they go to Hank Williams Jr… high school, or Hank Williams… junior high school?

There's one here called Ben Eielson Jr./Sr. High School which is similarly confusing, also:

c188964c5bcee20c3b74bdc2edc4e29b.jpg

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I spent years buying band tees thinking "people will think this is rad!" or "this will make them do a double take" and some variation of, when in fact I get 1000x times more thumbs up and call outs from people just by wearing my classic Playstation and N64 logo tees.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is pretty funny... We go to this exceptionally good pizza place, and they have a Napoli pizza and a Napoletana salad. My wife orders the Napoletana salad with oil and vinegar dressing. What do they do? They bring her out the Napoli pizza, minus the marinara sauce and instead oil and vinegar.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I spent years buying band tees thinking "people will think this is rad!" or "this will make them do a double take" and some variation of, when in fact I get 1000x times more thumbs up and call outs from people just by wearing my classic Playstation and N64 logo tees.
At one count, I had owned 200+ band t-shirts (all but 2 purchased at a concert). Out of all of my graphic t shirts, the two that have gotten the multiple reactions of any sort are:
1) My "Definition of 'Recombobulation'" shirt, based on the "Recombobulation Area" sign at the Milwaukee Airport just after the security checkpoint.

2) this shirt, based on this educational short film from 1940 (I've included the MST3K-riffed version, because it's worth it):

Screenshot_20220618-170425_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Well...there was also an incident where the lead singer from The Frames/The Swell Season pointed me out in the middle of a song because of my Motorhead shirt ("I can't tell if this guy in the Motorhead shirt is faking, or really singing along, but either way, sir, I respect that you are here.")..but that was one incident, with a few hundred witnesses...

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
At one count, I had owned 200+ band t-shirts (all but 2 purchased at a concert). Out of all of my graphic t shirts, the two that have gotten the multiple reactions of any sort are:
1) My "Definition of 'Recombobulation'" shirt, based on the "Recombobulation Area" sign at the Milwaukee Airport just after the security checkpoint.
I love that the airport CEO did that. It's clever, useful, and I wish that more CEOs thought like that. It's definitely a "customer first" thought.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I had to look up the Recombobulation area one because I've never even heard that term; although I have heard DIS-combobulated, so it makes sense that one could REcombobulate something.

Funny enough, I was wearing that aforementioned N64 tee out to a show tonight (Los Bitchos, highly recommend them as a live show at a minimum) and the guitarist of the band gave it a shout as she was signing my vinyl. I forgot for a minute what I was wearing so I was like, "Hell yeah girl," and then had to look down to remind myself.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I don't know if this is unusual or not, but I've owned a lot of guitars and basses, and have never owned a Gibson, Epiphone, or Fender. I only just recently bought a John 5 Squier tele. On top of that, I've never owned a LP shaped guitar. I guess I just don't like traditional things.

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
We have Vagina Guitars, Krappy Guitars, etc. But we need a Dick’s Guitars. Why do we not have that? The puns alone would make it worth while. “Random picks of your Dick” threads, Dick pics, show us your Dicks.

An Australian entrepreneur is named Dick Smith.
He really took the puns to the max:
Dick Cheese
Dick heads (red heads is a match brand here)

Got into a bit of trouble, so changed his brand to Oze cheese, etc.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
We have Vagina Guitars, Krappy Guitars, etc. But we need a Dick’s Guitars. Why do we not have that? The puns alone would make it worth while. “Random picks of your Dick” threads, Dick pics, show us your Dicks.
If this ever happens, owners should consider Ernie Ball strings and Fokin pickups.
What percentage of Rick Beato's videos are about his videos being demonetized at this point?

I don’t know, I only watch the What Makes This Song Great vids, but he does have a good point about fair use not being followed.
Maybe this actually does deserve its own thread, but we probably already had one.

I suspect neither Youtube nor Beato fully understand Fair Use. I know that I don't, and I've spent a fair amount of time studying it. It's a lot more subtle and nuanced than other aspects of copyright law.

There are four major metrics for fair use:
1. How transformative is the work?
2. What is the nature of the information being reproduced?
3. What is the portion or amount of the material is being reproduced and how sustainable is the copy?
4. What is the effect on the original work's value?

Other factors can weigh in, too, but there are no hard benchmarks on any one category, since they are all taken together.

Now, on youtube, you have tons of "reaction" videos, where someone watches a movie, television programme, music video, etc., and reacts to it by periodically saying "oh shit," "damn," or "that is whack," and occasionally pausing the video, sometimes to explain how pausing the video makes it fair use. I don't think youtube considers this fair use, but rather just doesn't consider it at all. But it's definitely not fair use. Usually, the work is not serving any transformative function, is displaying video footage that has always been under copyright control, reproducing the entire work (plus pausing it for a few seconds to explain fair use makes no sense, because it doesn't take away any portion of the original work), the copy is uploaded to youtube forever, and the effect (probably intended) is that people can watch the reaction video instead of watching the original work.

This can, of course, be done much more professionally, by 1. adding some actual commentary, 2. only showing clips necessary to gauge the reaction, such that only a small portion of the original video is reproduced, and 3. providing additional behind-the-scenes information or production notes not included with the original work. I'm no legal expert, but, to my lay-understanding of fair use, reaction videos like the sort I initially described would not pass the legal tests, and reaction videos of the second sort very likely would.

Likewise, if you take a copyrighted song, rip the audio, rip the album art, paste them together in movie maker or youtube studio, and post a video, you are certainly infringing all sorts of copyright laws. On the other hand, if you are playing clips of the song to illustrate your criticism of the work, that's fair use. It's actually, in Beato's case, almost the textbook definition of fair use. Coming back to the four point precedent:

1. How transformative is the work? Well, watching Beato's video doesn't substitute listening to the song in any way. Beato offers tons of information about the song that the typical listener doesn't get from simply listening to it.
2. What is the nature of the information being reproduced? The clips he uses are definitely 100% copyrighted material. But there are also plenty of other bits of information from other sources, including public domain information inserted into the videos.
3. What portion of the material is being reproduced and how sustainable is the copy? He's taking clips. You don't hear the entire song. But there are lots of clips, so it's probably a large proportion. The copy is posted on youtube forever.
4. What is the effect on the original work's value? This is the biggest one for me - if anything, it makes people more likely to value the song. It's clear that the experience of listening to the song and watching Beato pick the song apart serve two completely different purposes, so one is no replacement for the other. People interested in what makes a song great probably already bought the song, but, if not, they are more likely to buy it after watching a ten minute video about why it's so great.

So, out of four points, WMTSG scores probably 3.5. We know from other cases that the tipping point is typically somewhere between 0.5-2.5, depending on how strict the judge is, and whether there are other circumstances taken into account or not, so I'd be pretty shocked if a real judge in a real court would find Beato guilty of copyright infringement with that series.

Personally, in the past I had posted some videos on youtube of myself covering copyrighted songs. Sometimes the entire song. I never used any parts of the original recordings, but the songs themselves were definitely copyrighted. At the time, I considered it transformative because I was playing my own take on it, you know, like not a direct copy cover but where I used the same lyrics and altered the genre of the song or drastically altered the style of the vocal delivery and altered the guitar parts. That's probably score more like a 1.0 out of 4 using our tests, so I was most likely in the wrong for doing that. But youtube only ever punished me for one of them, where I did an AC/DC song as a request from a subscriber. I think youtube was correct in their assessment; however, you and I and just about everyone else knows that this punishment wasn't so much because of any of the stuff I just explained. It was very very likely because my channel was growing just large enough to get on their radar, and AC/DC has a label that is very aggressive about youtube videos.

Such ended my super short youtube career, as my channel was demonetized and has remained such ever since (this was circa 2012). Probably if I had stuck with metal versions of obscure songs and obscure versions of (not as popular) metal songs, I would be raking in that sweet, sweet $40/month from being a mid-level youtuber. :lol: I kid, but only sorta...