Not another “Which guitar should I buy” thread - Super specific search

Awaiting Oblivion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It is.

Trying to consider options and really wondering if there is a model I’m missing? Not looking for anything outside of these parameters as I’m looking to have this one as more of a workhorse guitar less studio. My daily is a Schecter SLS Elite (Ash/26.5) but the neck thru is touchy in dry Colorado so I’m looking for something I can move back and forth without as many adjustments and can mostly keep the SLS in studio. The SLS has Fluence Moderns which I’m personally a big fan of but would go with passives maybe or consider swapping Fluence Moderns or Abasi into this one.

- 7 string only
- Not another Ash (leaning towards alder)
- Bolt on or set only
- 26.5-28” scale either standard or multi just not above or below
- Must have a headstock (personal preference. I think headless guitars look like toys and don’t enjoy the tuning especially for this use)
- No Keisel (I’m sure this will get some hate) I own Carvins and having played many Keisels and living in SD (where their HQ is) previously, I really don’t think their quality is great (personally) and prefer not to purchase from them. (Just revisited some Keisels recently and still not a brand I want to own)
- Luminlay side dots (this is fairly important)
- Fixed bridge (non evertune would be ideal)
- Under $2k USD

Some models I’m considering:

Ormsby GTI (Production series standard scale)
Legator N7FOD (2022) (Played multiple models recently- quality was great)
Source a used Solar 1.7 bolt on (likely pickup swap)

What am I missing? It seems like the GTI is the best bang for the buck which hits all the marks except being passive (if I wanted Fluence to have a similar tone as the pickups in the SLS)

What models am I overlooking? I know everything is headless neck thru now but there’s gotta be some other models I’m missing.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly reading that list, it wouldn't be to hard to find something if you can ditch the luminlay; what's the requirement there? Just losing placement on stage/during shows?

Awaiting Oblivion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly reading that list, it wouldn't be to hard to find something if you can ditch the luminlay; what's the requirement there? Just losing placement on stage/during shows?
Correct.

It’s much easier to find guitars that fit the bill without luminlay. That’s why I only have 3 models I’m considering as of now. And the Solar may not be as easy since I’d have to find a used one that’s not trashed.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Since Luminlays are typically just the side-dots and not like you're doing the center fretboard inlay, have you considered what the cost of having it done as an aftermarket upgrade to a used guitar might be vs. finding a model that checks all the boxes?

Awaiting Oblivion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Since Luminlays are typically just the side-dots and not like you're doing the center fretboard inlay, have you considered what the cost of having it done as an aftermarket upgrade to a used guitar might be vs. finding a model that checks all the boxes?
I have not considered that option nor have I checked with my guitar tech I normally go to about the cost of an install. My thought is that it would likely be more expensive to have luminlay installed and the neck reset than swapping pickups and obviously a lot more time. So even something like the Jackson Pro Series Misha Mansoor which has luminlay would just be easier to throw in Fluence and sell the stock Jackson pickups.

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It’s much easier to find guitars that fit the bill without luminlay

You should check how much it would cost to install new dots. It shouldn't be too hard, I reckon if you can get wider luminlays you can just drill a slightly bigger hole than the stock dots, and that would be way easier than trying to fit the exact match of the stock dots.

Awaiting Oblivion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You should check how much it would cost to install new dots. It shouldn't be too hard, I reckon if you can get wider luminlays you can just drill a slightly bigger hole than the stock dots, and that would be way easier than trying to fit the exact match of the stock dots.
It's something I'll look into tomorrow when the shop is open.

Really the only option for this route would be to purchase something on the used market that also hits all the other specs that somehow is a killer deal compared to buying a guitar with preinstalled luminlay. Maybe I'm wrong about that but for reference, the GTI is like $900 and the N7 about $1300. I could buy a bolt on Schecter (since I know I like them) and swap pickups (possibly) and the side dots and probably be at the same price as the N7.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Luminalys can be installed afterwards. Don't rule off the entire guitar market because of them.

Otherwise the Schecter Keith Merrow Signature (standard model) fits all your specs besides the non-ash body. Can you live with that?

Last edited:

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Luminlay are JUST fluorescent dots. Drill, press in, done.

Preferably have steady hands or pay someone who knows their way around a drill.

Ain't no neck reset involved.

Awaiting Oblivion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Luminalys can be installed afterwards. Don't rule off the entire guitar market because of them.

The Schecter Keith Merrow Signature (standard model) fits all your specs besides the non-ash body. Can you live with that?
Which model are you referencing? I know the KM7 Standard that is no longer around was about the price of the Ormsby but not sure if it had SS frets. I think by comparison I'd go with either the GTI or N7 over the KM7 higher level stuff since I'm not sure I'd want the KM fluence pickups and another ash model.

Awaiting Oblivion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Luminlay are JUST fluorescent dots. Drill, press in, done.

Preferably have steady hands or pay someone who knows their way around a drill.

Ain't no neck reset involved.
So you're saying you could remove the neck and drill in new inlays and likely not need to have the guitar re-setup afterward? Maybe bolt-on necks are more stable than I thought.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Which model are you referencing? I know the KM7 Standard that is no longer around was about the price of the Ormsby but not sure if it had SS frets. I think by comparison I'd go with either the GTI or N7 over the KM7 higher level stuff since I'm not sure I'd want the KM fluence pickups and another ash model.

1 - You never mentioned stainless steel frets in your super specific spec list
2 - I was obviously referencing the model I linked in the very same post :scratch:
3 - The Schecter C7 Apocalypse also fits, and also has ash body.
4 - Is really having to setup the guitar again what worries you about installing luminlays?

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
that somehow is a killer deal compared to buying a guitar with preinstalled luminlay

I reckon it would cost you like $100 to install the luminlays.

So you're saying you could remove the neck and drill in new inlays and likely not need to have the guitar re-setup afterward?

Why would it need a setup of any kind? They're just tiny plastic bits in the side of the neck. They have no functional purpose, they're purely cosmetic.

Awaiting Oblivion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1 - You never mentioned stainless steel frets in your super specific spec list
2 - I was obviously referencing the model I linked in the very same post :scratch:
3 - The Schecter C7 Apocalypse also fits, and also has ash body.
4 - Is really having to setup the guitar again what worries you about installing luminlays?
Hey sorry, link wasn't appearing when I looked on my phone. And you are correct, I didn't mention SS frets but that is ideal which I forgot to mention.

Nt concerned with resetting up a guitar neck. I'm just trying to see if there is a guitar that fits these specs and if so is it more cost affective to purchase a non luminlay guitar and have them installed and does that guitar beat out the other guitars mentioned somehow?

The KM is cool but yes, I'd want non-ash and SS frets which I failed to mention.

Awaiting Oblivion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I reckon it would cost you like $100 to install the luminlays.

Why would it need a setup of any kind? They're just tiny plastic bits in the side of the neck. They have no functional purpose, they're purely cosmetic.
If it's around that price, that's really not bad at all. My thought was that removing and drilling into a neck would just require a setup from being drilled into/removed from the guitar for that period. I've never tried to install these so it's not a process I'm super familiar with having done, but I guess I assumed drilling out the old side dots and gluing in new ones was more of a process than it apparently is according to everybody and would put more stress on the neck /fretboard.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So you're saying you could remove the neck and drill in new inlays and likely not need to have the guitar re-setup afterward? Maybe bolt-on necks are more stable than I thought.

You don't need to remove anything. And drilling holes several mm wide and deep doesn't change anything structurally. Especially not if you fill it with something (the inlay).

You'd have to drill several hundred of them to have even the tiniest impact and probably a thousand to get anything to change significantly.

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
would just require a setup from being drilled into/removed from the guitar for that period

You can remove bolt on necks just for the hell of it, there's nothing to it. You can also remove a Floyd Rose with strings attached, just make sure the nut is locked. Remove all the springs, and take it out. It will be dead on when you put it back (provided the posts are not loose fitting, otherwise it might require just a bit of fine tuning).

Here's a Dan Erlewine video on installing dots:

Awaiting Oblivion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You don't need to remove anything
Good to know. Hopefully, the shop will be game to do it and it won't be too much so it opens up some options. I haven't found any other options as of yet that are really standing out but glad to know just getting luminlay installed is apparently a pretty simple process. Just looked into the install. Not something I would do on my own because I don't want to risk messing up the fretboard on a $1000+ guitar.