Noisy SD Livewires - why?

pingflood

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello!

Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. Picked up a Dean VMNT Mustaine (Korea made) a while back. Awesome guitar overall but there's this hum/noise that I did not expect from active pickups. Is not affected by touching the strings and never goes away. I've measured continuity between the bridge, switch, back of pots and output jack and everything seems fine there. Not really sure how to go about troubleshooting this and unfortunately I don't have a good tech nearby I can take it to. If continuity checks out and the solders look good then what could it be that's causing this? Thanks in advance.

Warmart

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Perhaps different batteries or try a different cable/amp?

pingflood

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a bunch of other guitars and they are quiet (with the exception of some normal single coil hum from the strats) with the same setup. Haven't tried a different battery though so will give that a go. Wondering if there's anything else useful I could measure with the multimeter.

I get the same noise regardless of which pickup is selected so I think it's unlikely that they are defective. Maybe the output jack isn't working 100% right?

Last edited: