noisy, feedbacky soapbar p90s

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am having a problem with the pickups (I think) in my squier baritele. They sound mostly fine, a little muddy perhaps, but the real problem I am having is that I can't get the sustain I want because introducing OD at volume causes awful, piercing feedback squeals even with the pickups lowered all the way, standing away from the amp etc (I use a RAT, but the BD-2 does it too). I play loud, clean, with the RAT as a "clean" boost introducing just a little grit and mostly brightening/adding sustain and volume. Even with the RAT turned way down I can still get it squeal really easily.

I have never used soapbars before but have not had this issue with various other HSP90 equipped guitars through the same signal chain. I notice these pickups also seem to be very nearly microphonic, they make quite a bit of noise when I tap anywhere on the soapbar and I can get a (very) muddy signal out of my amp from yelling into them, wondering if this is just how soapbars work or if some better made pickups wouldn't help the feedback issue?

Also, does the "noiseless" designation have anything to do with feedback, or does it simply refer to passive hum? I honestly don't notice a whole lot of noise from these so I don't think hum reduction alone is worth extra money to me.

Also also, of course it wouldn't be a pickup thread without me asking for recommendations.

Also also also, is bone white on seafoam or black on seafoam a cooler color scheme?

TIA

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Last question first, I’d go with parchment, bone, or mint green colorwise.

As for the pickups, I’m not sure if those pickups are potted or not, but the squealing is normal if they are unpotted. You could try potting them or replace them with potted pickups.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
good call, I will try this first, and even if I don't like the result I have gained a new skill

Thanks for the rec. Are all of their P90s noiseless? I couldn't find any that specifically said they are.
I thought they were, but it may be Kinman Im thinking of.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Could always try the EMG 81, 85, and 60 combos in there. They are offered in a p90 housing but you get the humbucker tone from it.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Could always try the EMG 81, 85, and 60 combos in there. They are offered in a p90 housing but you get the humbucker tone from it.

Are those passive? How are they for cleans? I never looked at them bc I always assumed they were active. I did really like the HB/P90 combo though.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah the squeal is pretty normal. Honestly Guitar fetish makes a p90 humbucker that is dead silent for like 35 bucks, I was really impressed with it. Try potting that pup first just for shits and giggles.