NK Headless Mod & Art Project (pic heavy)

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
Hello to all guitar maniacs.
I haven't written for a long time and I will try to summarize ...
Here is a short history of my madness ...

WHITE HEADLESS aka One man's madness.

A few years ago I bought a Strandberg Boden copy made by NK Guitars (China) because of low price and mostly because of a neck profile that I accept unlike the original.
It was supposed to be an "away" guitar. Of course, I made modifications right away ... other knobs, undercut under the right forearm, support at the bridge made of black rubber, strap-locks and I changed pickups to: DiMarzio Breed (bridge) and the Humbucker from hell (neck) that was hovering in my drawer of oblivion.
Electronics changed to 2x Vol wherein neck Vol with the treble-bleed. Then I send it to my friendly luthier to round the edges of the fretboard and frets. In short: the guitar after the modifications came out nice and I played few gigs with it.

Bia-y-headless-001.jpg

After about 2 years, the color has changed .... hmm .... earlier it was like pool water and now it has become like pool water .... with someone's pee...
Bia-y-headless-002.jpg

It hurt my eyes terribly and those two different colors of ash that the back.... it was too much... ;) I came up with a devilish plan: I will make it more ergonomic and white as canvas to play around. I have too many guitars (not really) and I like all sorts of colorful crap, so I got the idea to paint it white and finish it on mat and make interchangeable pickguards. ... so I painted it and made the satin finish... just to experience the worst fail: it turned out that my paint was as soft as the polish prime minister's moral spine ... the paint got damaged quickly (checkmate).
Bia-y-headless-003.jpg
Bia-y-headless-004.jpg

Tough decision - to the professional painter. He did it absolutely perfectly.
Bia-y-headless-005.jpg

I designed the Pickguard - the fifth approach was perfect while the others were painful fails. I ordered a heck of pickguards (colored and blanks for painting) from the very friendly company that deals with laser plexiglass cutting.
Bia-y-headless-006.jpg

Effects are in the photos:
Frosty:
Bia-y-headless-007.jpg

"Ice queen" (light blue with frost effect) :
Bia-y-headless-008.jpg

Blue and Pinkie:
Bia-y-headless-009.jpg

Mr Gray (gray gloss):
Bia-y-headless-010.jpg

Mrs Gray (Gray satin/frost):
Bia-y-headless-011.jpg

Fluo orange:
Bia-y-headless-012.jpg

Mean green (fluo green):
Bia-y-headless-013.jpg

Some fun with fluo:
Bia-y-headless-014.jpg

Some EVH homage:
Bia-y-headless-015.jpg

My first painted pickguard using fluo paints....
Bia-y-headless-016.jpg

Bia-y-headless-017.jpg

This is not the end of the adventure with this project, but the beginning of the further road.
Also, no matter what others say (knocking on the forehead buddies) - do what you dream and don't give up (my "painting" took me over 2 months and it was fail, plus 5 approaches to the pickguard).
Cheers

Which one did You like the most?
Bia-y-headless2-001.jpg

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Personally, I'd leave the pickguard off entirely, seems like a shame to cover half the guitar with it. If you absolutely MUST put one on, then either #2 for clear, or $5/6 for the black smoke.

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Love the white paintjob and as much as I'm also into translucent pickguards, it doesn't fit too well on this particular guitar IMHO.

Metaldestroyerdennis

Heavens Football Bat
Reaction score
I personally like the pickguard, though I would get rid of the points on the left. There's no other pointiness on this guitar so it really sticks out. Favorites are the mean grean, gray, and evh. I would also use gold pickguard screws to match the gold on the bridge.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That pickguard is just too big to me. If it was a bit smaller so it doesn't hug the edges I think it would look better.

For color I'd probably go with metallic colors like gold or chrome. Maybe satin as well.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah definitely make the pickguard a hair smaller, but I vote tortoiseshell. And I realize there wasnt a tortoiseshell option.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
21st century is getting wild, yo

Also, I really like the EVH-y pickguard. I don't think it should be smaller, but it might be cool to have the entire top with the grey criss-cross pattern, with a clear pickguard on top.
That is my goal with my future project... the whole front of the guitar (excl. forearm cut) covered with plexiglass with something wild underneath. Body's color: clear or black. Top changing would take 30-60 seconds and voila!!! - new color of the guitar (depending on mood).

Latest posts