NHL 2021-2022

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
:woot: Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup champion! :gayfight:

Kudos to the refs for not whistling the icings, as the Lightning were getting lazy.

Happy for Lehkonen, clutch again!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are a lot of guys on that team that I am happy to see get a Cup.

Johnson was actually not bad at the end of his time here (though he was horrid early on) the main problem was the contract Rutherford signed him to. Pens are STILL taking a salary cap hit for that nonsense :lol:

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Perry has become the first player in NHL history to be on the losing team in 3 consecutive Stanley Cup Finals :rofl:
The best part is he is signed to Tampa for another season :partyhat:

Rumor has it that next season, they will be presenting the Clarence S Campbell Bowl with the Stanley Cup.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Free agency should be interesting this year. I know the Caps will be busy. They really have no choice if they want to compete. Backstrom had hip surgery and is expected to be out all next season at a minimum. I think he probably played his last game. Only 2 other NHL players that had that particular surgery were Jovanovski who played 37 games and Kesler who never played again. Wilson is out until December at best after knee surgery. The goaltending situation is grim, either Vanecek or Samsonov or both have to go. Plus Kempny and Schultz are off the books so there will be some extra cap space to use for a change.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
techno, what does your gut say about Malkin/Letang?

I'm betting they cave on Letang and back a truck full of money to his door and let Malkin go... but we'll see. I've heard rumors Letang wants 5 years and the Pens have said there is no way that is happening. Burke just said yesterday that they still want to resign both but it has to be at term / cap hit that works for the team.

My main concern is that they let them go then overpay for guys that are nowhere near as good in free agency.

I'm also concerned that the team seems to have some good players that should be in the NHL already that for some reason aren't and don't seem likely to be with IIRC 4 or 5 college undrafted free agents signed to NHL contracts.

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm betting they cave on Letang and back a truck full of money to his door and let Malkin go.
I was thinking the same, a good all-situation puck moving defenceman is far more valuable, while a forward is far more negligable, especially in their twilight years.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was thinking the same, a good all-situation puck moving defenceman is far more valuable, while a forward is far more negligable, especially in their twilight years.

Yep... especially when it's been IIRC 5 years since Malkin has played a full season. Great player and I'm going to be sad to see him go, but if he won't do something like 3 years at $5 or $6 million I don't see him getting resigned.

Then again Letang wants 5 years and $8+ million and I don't see that happening with the Pens. I think the amount is doable but I don't think management is going to budge from that 3 year number. I guess we should know by the draft, as if they can't sign him I am sure they will try to move him for something before that since he only has a partial no trade clause.

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Aside from what should be a bananas draft/offseason for my team and the aforementioned Pens drama, elsewhere in the league I am keeping a curious eye on:

Boston's implosion.
Winnipeg at the crossroads.
How aggressive Detroit, New Jersey and Seattle go in the UFA market, as they are poised for building up their rosters.
RFA offer sheets.
Where MA Fleury lands?
How Edmonton tweaks their roster, notably goaltending.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I truly have no idea why Cassidy was let go, dude took us to Stanley Cup contention since taking the position; and it's not like we just laid down in any of the post seasons we lost, I think only one final round ended in 5 games.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I truly have no idea why Cassidy was let go, dude took us to Stanley Cup contention since taking the position; and it's not like we just laid down in any of the post seasons we lost, I think only one final round ended in 5 games.

Yeah that seemed dumb and also seems like it is going to cost them Pasta as well... just crazy

AdamMaz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I remember the sequence of events correctly, even after Pastrnak made those comments, ownership still went ahead and gave Sweeney an extension. Smoking that good crack apparently.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
😥

I was under the impression that they were both good prospects? 🤨
They were good prospects… At this point they look like career backups at best. They are both wildly inconsistent and often “Lose you games” kind of bad. The team typically wins in spite of them, very rarely have either stole a game and certainly not in the playoffs.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Things I do not understand:
Giving a goalie that has had core muscle surgery twice in the last 2 seasons and was bad enough that you basically didn't trust him to play the first half of the season a raise over his current contract.

I like DeSmith, and when he's hot he is an excellent goaltender, but giving him a raise makes no sense. I guess it's his reward for playing well for the short time Jarry was injured before he went out for the season againn.