NGD's - Edwards Goldtop, Cherry Sunburst, Black and White Custom

Trashgreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wait a minut.. 4 guitars??

I thought I was done buying guitars for a while..

Wtf just happend then??

Edwards E-LP-130CD JS

I had my eyes on this model for a while, I liked the LP Custom look and wanted to try this model with the Duncan Distortions. They kept popping up for decent prices recently and when I saw this one which had a good weight at 4,3 kgs(the way I wanted it) I took the chance and bought my first ever ESP Edwards guitar.

When it arrived I was blown away by the look, sounds and quality, this was endeed a great investment. Big solid body guitar sound unpluged with a big low-end grow. This it the perfect sofa guitar to get inspired and creating new music. Neck is beefy, a little bigger than the normal thin U profile but very comftable to play, suits the guitar very well and I love the 43 mm nut size! Quality wise I cant really tell much difference from my ESP standard guitars, it would be in the small details if anything. I like the Distortion picups here, they do sound a little different compared to my other JB equipped guitars.

Edwards E-LP-125SD/P

After the huge success with the JS model I thought maybe I would get one more for variation. I also learned that the hole Traditional series has been discontinued..
I looked at the different models and saw the Goldtop. I always liked the look of a Goldtop LP and I didn't have any P90 picups in my collection. It was a no-brainer so i bought one.

Looks, sounds and plays fantastic! 3,8 kg, so a little leither than the JS but again it suits this model with the P90 very well endeed! Neck is surprsingly smaller than the JS.., on the thin side of a thin U I would say. Very comftable to play! Again I really like the 43mm nut width size, seems to fit my hands quite well. Nice big resonant solid body sound unpluged. The P90 sounds unbelievable good, I have been missing out here! Great lead and solo tones. All 3 positions on the selector switch sounds absolutly great. I like the look of the bright mahogany wood and the Pau Ferro freatboard looks nice and tastly too.

Edwards E-LPC White

As I got the Goldtop I saw this white Custom, It had a nice weight at 4,3 kg and was cheaper priced cause it comes without pickgaurd and Duncans. I knew i had an unused Zakk Wylde EMG set laying arround somewhere so I bought it as an experiment having the LP style from Edwards with differnt pickups.

Unpluged sounds the same as the JS, maybe a little darker in the low-end. Neck is a little beefier than the JS but still very comftable to play. The EMG sounds as expected and I like having one of these LP/Eclipse styles with an 85 in the neck position for variation.

Edwards E-LP-125SD Cherry Sunburst

A few weeks went by and my mind was haunted by these Edwards LPs. There was one model I didn't get but wanted to try out also.. So when I saw this Cherry Sunburst at 4,3 kg and with a nice flamed top and freatboard I made the move!

Looks, sound and plays absolutely fantastic! Unpluged not nearly as big as the JS but still a loud balanced solid body sound with nice low-end. The Neck it just as thin as the Goldtop but with a slightly better profile. Feels really nice to play but I do like the beefier necks on the customs too, these are great players endeed! The Duncan JBs fits this guitar very well and I digging all 3 positions on the selector switch.

All in all I'm very happy with these new guitars, alltought I have so many guitars already they do bring something new into my collection.

These are all from 2022, so fresh out of the oven.

This may be 4 guitars but I actually consider them as 4 variations of the same one guitar!

Customs has bigger headstocks..

Did i mention these has been discontinued by ESP.. https://espguitars.co.jp/products/edwards/e-lp/

Video:

One of my old riffs from the archive(kicks in at 0:13) is finally brought to life in a full music track. The Goldtop get some delush lead and solo tones. Randall Plexi-plus module used for rhythm guitars and Synergy Bogner Übershall is used for solo and leads.

Comparison video for the 3 other Edwards LPs. I had a few ideas and ended up with this 3 section thing. Could have been done better but at least it's should be possible to tell a difference between the 3 guitras in this video. Randall Ultimate Nullifier for right/left panned rhythm, Randall Treadplate module for center rhythm, Synergy IICP module for solo. Same EQ setting, Cab, mic and all 3 guitars on the same track with the same level.

Pics:

1669692585819.png

1669692630173.png

1669692663064.png

1669692690545.png

1669692738012.png

1669692767013.png

1669692792435.png

1669692832191.png

1669692870800.png

1669692895262.png

Estilo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Very nice! As a fellow Edwards owner, so glad to see them getting more fanfare and ownership across the interwebs.

I have a JS model like yours and I agree that they're very inspiring as couch guitars, mine resonates best with me somehow even not fully set up yet (fret buzz). I wish mine was 4.3kg though - it's an anemic 3.9kg but I tend to forget that when I'm playing anyways.

Funny though out of your collection the E-LPC with EMGs is most eye-catching to me, as an EMG fan. Guess swapping out those stock pickups premiumises the look by a lot!

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
as an Edwards E-LPC black custom owner, i fully agree with everything you just wrote!
the goldtop most likely will be my next guitar, if i can sell my LTD first.

curious how you're liking the fretboard on the goldtop, as its no longer rosewood on them?

and beautiful collection!

Trashgreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
as an Edwards E-LPC black custom owner, i fully agree with everything you just wrote!
the goldtop most likely will be my next guitar, if i can sell my LTD first.

curious how you're liking the fretboard on the goldtop, as its no longer rosewood on them?

and beautiful collection!
Thanks! There sure is something about these 2022 models!

I like these Pau Ferro fretboards a lot, they look clean and tasty!

Years ago I wanted the fretboards to look nice and even in the grains. Now I don't mind if they have different patterns and colors, it gives the fretboard it's own personality that sticks out!

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks! There sure is something about these 2022 models!

I like these Pau Ferro fretboards a lot, they look clean and tasty!

Years ago I wanted the fretboards to look nice and even in the grains. Now I don't mind if they have different patterns and colors, it gives the fretboard it's own personality that sticks out!
funny you should mention the 'years ago' part.

years ago, i wanted the pointiest and all black guitar to be as metal as humanly possibly.
now, a complete 'dad guitar' les paul. dont care if it has battle scars, but certainly dont want an all pristine case-queen. more personality, the better.

funny how things change with age.
kudos to you for having great taste in guitars!

and glad to hear that Pau Ferro isn't an issue. I've never played one, so cant say, but more and more people are saying they dont notice a thing on em

Reaction score
I ran up in here so fast to look at these pics. Damn..this right here is quality content. Is the pickguard on the black one...,.is there film on it or is it that color? I was expecting a mirror pickguard.

Trashgreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I ran up in here so fast to look at these pics. Damn..this right here is quality content. Is the pickguard on the black one...,.is there film on it or is it that color? I was expecting a mirror pickguard.
Thanks! That is endeed a mirror pickguard but as you said the film is still on.., I have a tendency to keep protection film on new products for a long time after I bought them. We shall see how long it'll take me to pull this one off..

Reaction score
Thanks! That is endeed a mirror pickguard but as you said the film is still on.., I have a tendency to keep protection film on new products for a long time after I bought them. We shall see how long it'll take me to pull this one off..
Ah, just checking. Goddamn I wanna play one of those

Trashgreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had to make a little adjustment to the Cymbals in the Gold Digger track but here it is once again. Same story and Randall Plexi-plus module used for rhythm guitars and Synergy Bogner Übershall is used for solo and leads.

Trashgreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm getting in that same mindset!
3 electrics, one acoustic. 1 in, 1 out. keep it stable that way

There was a time when I would think that 3-4 guitars was the limit too but since 2014 I made a different approach to gear. From that point my collection has been an add on only, so I keep what I buy. Instead I strictly try to make the right decision when ever I buy new gear!! I have owned quite a lot of guitars doing the past 20 years and some of them I deeply regret selling..

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There was a time when I would think that 3-4 guitars was the limit too but since 2014 I made a different approach to gear. From that point my collection has been an add on only, so I keep what I buy. Instead I strictly try to make the right decision when ever I buy new gear!! I have owned quite a lot of guitars doing the past 20 years and some of them I deeply regret selling..
I can respect that sentiment.
for me, as i'm aging, i'm getting more specific with my guitars. If they dont resonant the way I want them to in my hands, and if they aren't acoustically loud, i'm not interested.
Thankfully Edwards hits that box really nicely!
So beyond Edwards, I think Eastman also offers the same thing. Given how much of an overlap is between the two brands (minus the price), it would limit me from what i'm seeking in guitars now.
if I add that i want my guitar to age, then that limits me to only nitro finished guitars, thus making the list even more narrow.