NGD: Yamaha RGX-TT Drop6 Baritone

lost_horizon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I got this all original Pro level Baritone with Seymour Duncan pickups and 7 different pickup combinations. Person who was selling it had no idea what it was. It would have been more than $1000 back in the day. Not many hard rock/prog baritones around in the year 2000.

Bought from a gigging musician had some war wounds but that didn't affect playability. Can spot fix with some tinted poly if I want.
Capture8.JPG Capture9.JPG
Did a full setup and fret polish and nothing else really needed looking at. Action is set up how i like it super low but can be raised for Djent. Set up with Ernie Ball Mammoth Slinkys (64-12) as was meant for this guitar and in B standard. I love this string set by the way.

Comes with no case or tremelo bar but you can get these wilkinson ones from ebay etc for around $15.

Scale: 26.25 inch
Fretboard radius: 14 inch
Body: American Basswood with Maple top
Top: 2mm Flame Maple Veneer on middle section
Frets: Dunlop 6100
Nut: Standard Urea
Nut width: 42.5mm
String spacing nut: 36.5mm
Neck: Bolt on Maple Scarf joint with Rosewood fretboard
Thickness at 1st fret: 19mm
Thickness at 12th fret: 19mm
Neck Profile: Thin U
Bridge: Wilkinson USA VS100
Bridge Spacing: 53mm
Tuners: Sperzel USA Locking
Neck Pickup: Stock Seymour Duncan Vintage Rails Neck SVR-1
Middle Pickup: Stock Seymour Duncan Vintage Rails Neck SVR-1
Bridge Pickup: Stock Seymour Duncan TB-4 JB Trembucker Distortion all wiring standard
Strings: 12-64 Ernie Ball Mammoth Slinkys
Capture10.JPG
The single coil pickups are super quiet. Turns out its that they are direct mounted and so far from the strings, like 1/2 an inch. This was why I replaced them on my other Yamaha RGX-TT but now think it should be fine just raised up.
Capture11.JPG

I dig the sounds with my current rig and it's silent in all positions.

The JB which I used to hate, now I have tried other pickups I like it in this one, especially for rhythm and lead. Sounds like a hot Les Paul with the mids missing.

This thing is also super light, 3.3kg.

Where else can you get a Taiwan made baritone with all USA hardware for less than a Squier?

Last edited:

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yamaha are incredible
I'm a proud owner of an RGX Custom from the early '90s
That's an incredible guitar

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
had one of these i bought new from a shop in 2002ish . the one i had needed fret leveling , so after after trying to get it to play well and not succeeding, i put it on ebay after a few months. if i knew then what i know now , it wouldn't have been a problem at all. it was a well made guitar with the execption of a high 14th fret. good find for sure. congrats. i think it was modeled after Ty Tybor's guitar if I am not mistaking. Or, he had a signature out around the same time.. it was a long time ago...its fuzzy.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Early 2000s so most likely the point was to appeal to this crowd

What I mean is that 26.25" is an unusual scale. For example, Wes Borland had been associated with, what 8 different guitars over his career? None of them were 26.25".

Yamaha makes standard guitars in both 25.5" and 24.75". 26.25" is essentially 24.75" with an extra fret added on. Most manufacturers would base extended scales off of their longer jigs, thus why 27" was popular up until the last decade or so.

Zhysick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
had one of these i bought new from a shop in 2002ish . the one i had needed fret leveling , so after after trying to get it to play well and not succeeding, i put it on ebay after a few months. if i knew then what i know now , it wouldn't have been a problem at all. it was a well made guitar with the execption of a high 14th fret. good find for sure. congrats. i think it was modeled after Ty Tybor's guitar if I am not mistaking. Or, he had a signature out around the same time.. it was a long time ago...its fuzzy.
Actually the TT on the model name is for Ty Tabor

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
12-64 for B standard on an extended scale? That's even heavier than what I use for B standard on a Gibson scale!

Thesius

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Careful saying 26" is baritone. You never know who is listening around these parts