NGD Torpedo Captor X

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Through headphones or cabs this thing lets my amp scream, I put the Engl in 20 watt mode, cranked the lead gain, put the noise gate on full and it's an absolute metal monster for a small rig. I've only tried it with my E-II Horizon with a Floyd Rose so far and I was smiling from ear to ear, the dive bombs even at a low volume sound incredible. The cleans sound good and I don't feel the tones are colored as much as some say they are, I don't care for a couple of the presets as they sounded thin with the amp settings I had at the time. But I'm sure they have their place once you dial in tones for them. Overall I'm very happy with it!

Engl_Torp.jpg

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Doesn't the Ironball SE already come with pretty much everything the Captor X does?
You mean the ability to crank it at 20 watts but only have minimal volume going into the speaker cab? The dynamics are quite different than setting the amp at 1 watt. But yes the amp has IR's. I also have a 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue, 1968 Bassman head and cab, and a Blackstar HT-40 I can use it with.

Last edited:

rowsi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is the master volume as finicky to dial in on the Ironball SE as on the old unit? I have often contemplated investing in a Captor X just because that darn master volume will go from whispering to roaring in 1 µm of a turn.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is the master volume as finicky to dial in on the Ironball SE as on the old unit? I have often contemplated investing in a Captor X just because that darn master volume will go from whispering to roaring in 1 µm of a turn.
It's not that sensitive, maybe they improved on that? The main reason I got it is to get that cranked tone at lower volumes, that's helpful at home and for gigs. It must be even more liked by the 100 watt tube amp guys.

Alex79

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Great stuff, I have the low budget version of it with the standard old Ironball SE and just the captor 16 (my speaker is 16 ohm). Great sound at bedroom levels.

Pietjepieter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cool!

I am using a Kemper these days but I kind of miss old scool amps. So I am thinking about grapping a amp with a torpado. I made a small short list of amps, and the Engl is defently on the list.
Do you maby have some recordings of the Engl + toraado on high gain sounds? using the line out of the torpedo and no cab?

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cool!

I am using a Kemper these days but I kind of miss old scool amps. So I am thinking about grapping a amp with a torpado. I made a small short list of amps, and the Engl is defently on the list.
Do you maby have some recordings of the Engl + toraado on high gain sounds? using the line out of the torpedo and no cab?
Engl tone is un beatable for Metal.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
You'll love it! Got a Captor X, too this year. Easily, the most indispensable gear in the arsenal right now. Tamed the behemoth 150 watt amps and they sound good attenuated or recorded.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Fractal X-Load Loadbox, and it is a lot of fun to run a tube amp into that, then into a stereo effects unit, into a stereo solid state poweramp, and then into a pair of cabs. Huge tone at low volumes.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You'll love it! Got a Captor X, too this year. Easily, the most indispensable gear in the arsenal right now. Tamed the behemoth 150 watt amps and they sound good attenuated or recorded.
No issues? they're only designed for 100 watts

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As long as you don't turn them up too loud. You would know you are pushing the device a bit when the chassis gets hot.
One thing that's weird is the white light never goes out, after un plugging it

NexusMT

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i tried one of these on a music store recently with an Engl 1x12 cab and i was really amazed how good it sounded at lower volumes, even the clean sound and the effects were great. I have it already on my wishlist but the Engl Savage remains my dream amp.