NGD - Schecter C-7 SLS Elite

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by JD27, Mar 24, 2018.

1. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I'm thankful that I haven't taken long close up inspections of my guitars. I'm much happier with them not knowing what imperfections they have that don't affect playability.

2. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I just got my 6 string version of this and holy smokes I'm impressed. One little rough spot on the back finish, also a little glue spot where the neck and binding meet. That's nothing that will concern me as it plays and sounds absolutely fantastic. I for once got lucky and got a good one :)

TedintheShed, AkiraSpectrum and JD27 like this.
  3. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

I wouldn't pay that much for an absolutely perfect WMI instrumwnt.

Europe has a ton of great luthiers- why not go for one of those?

Masoo2 and Smoked Porter like this.
  4. wurstbrot1984

wurstbrot1984 SS.org Regular

Yes, you are totally right. For me personally that's it with Schecter. I have a Custom Shop RAN Crusher 7 here and I am going to let the Schecters go....

5. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Inexistent resale value, way higher price for that kind of specs. Also, after so many horror stories, I'm having hard time trusting small luthiers, especially now, especially in my country.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  6. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

This. I do agree that 1500€ is a steep price, even though you have to consider it includes taxes. Schecter in Europe also has the same distributor as MusicMan (High Tech Distribution), and JPs/Majesties are so expensive here you might as well take the plane to go buy them in NYC: the 6 string Glacial Frost Majesty is up for $4435 including taxes on Thomann while it's at $2800 excluding taxes on Sweetwater (let's say $3360 with 20% VAT). Compared to that, the Schecters are a bargain deal... :nuts:

That said, for the specs (neck through with multiple woods, stainless steel frets, Fishman pickups, etc) and equivalent or higher quality, you'll pay much more. For less money there's the Ibanez Premiums but they're completely hit or miss in terms of QC, or you have the Jackson/Charvel Pro/Pro Mod series and the Ibanez Prestiges but not with the same specs. Oh, and LTDs or Sterlings! Pick your poison. :lol: EDIT: At least if Schecter was kind enough to include a bag with it... :noplease:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  7. Nuno83

Nuno83 Member

Hello. I just bought the 6 string black fade burst version of this guitar. In the very first impression I was very happy of this guitar but taking a closer look I noticed some imperfections.
    It's about the neck binding close to the fretboard.
    It seems like a smear, something like the covering didn't fill the whole surface.
    It regards almost every fret of the neck profile.
    I'm attaching a photo of the flaw.
    Could please tell me if it's an issue of this very guitar or if it affects every sample of this model?
    Because looking to your
    Hello. I just bought the 6 string black fade burst version of this guitar. In the very first impression I was very happy of this guitar but taking a closer look I noticed some imperfections.
    It seems like a smear, something like the covering didn't fill the whole surface.
    Could please tell me if it's an issue of this very guitar or if it affects every sample of this model?
    Because looking to your photos seems like you got this imperfection too

Attached Files:

8. Nuno83

Nuno83 Member

9. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I sold it a few months after I bought it, so I can’t check. I don’t recall seeing anything like that though, not sure what it is.

10. ADADAD

ADADAD SS.org Regular

Do you mind sharing why you sold it? something you didn't like about it?

JD27 and mlp187 like this.
  11. Nuno83

Nuno83 Member

Sorry for posting the same message but I have to make you too the same question I made to the author of the very first post because I'm wondering about returning it back to the seller (thomann):

I just bought the 6 string black fade burst version of this guitar. In the very first impression I was very happy of this guitar but taking a closer look I noticed some imperfections.
    Do you have this kind of problem too?

IMG_20190121_225641 comp.jpg

12. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I bought an LTD H-207 that I modded shortly after and just preferred it over the C-7. I didn’t particularly care for the Fishman pickups, but I could have easily replaced them. Other than that it played well and there wasnt any glaring imperfections for a WMI level guitar.

feraledge and mlp187 like this.
  13. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

When you run your fingers across it does it feel rough? I have the 7 string version of this guitar. Unfortunately it seems they all come with minor imperfections . Ive seen one for sale locally that also has factory flaws.

The first one I received was beautiful all around but the binding on the neck where it meets the body was sloppy . Also the nut was low, so open notes buzzed slightly even with a proper setup. I sent it back and got another. The second one had no problems with the binding and nut but there were a few small , dark smeared spots on the back of the body near the electronic cavity. paint maybe ? Maybe they can be cleaned off I haven't really tried it.... also there was a small line of glue across one of the frets . Not really huge deals . I normally don't obsess over minor imperfections , but its a pricey guitar... had I paid the full price i'd probably be upset . The biggest flaw I found are these small little cracks around the frets . I'm not a guitar builder, but it almost looks like the edges cracked slightly when the frets were pressed in . They are very small and you really gotta look for them though. I paid $660 for it brand new. For a full price I would've returned it and got something else in all honesty . For $660 it's a lot of Guitar for the money

14. Nuno83

Nuno83 Member

If I'm concentrated while playing I really don't mind, but in the moment I stop my eyes automatically fall upon that flaw...
    About the rough feel: when the hand slides up/down the neck (from my left to my right while I'm sitting) I don't mind but If I move my thumb front/back the neck across the fretboard edge I can feel it very well.
    The problem is that It's unbelievable to find any kind of imperfection on an over sea guitar that prices about 1500 $ (I paid it 1300 € in Europe).
    You must think that for 1700-1800 € (about 2000 $) you can have an USA PRS or gibson. A korean guitar paid 1300€ should shine!
    I already own a schecter hellraiser extreme and It's simply PERFECT, NO ANY KIND OF FLAW!!!!!!
    Anyway I'm sending it back to the seller (THOMANN). I hope there won't be any other issue... otherwise I'll definitively send it back again and ask for refund.
    It's sad, because apart from those imperfection, the guitar it's a sword!!! wonderful neck, very fast, very light guitar. The top is something incredible and I think it's very hard to work and make a so arched top like that so what's to problem to check the very small errors and fix them? I'm stunned.

15. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

They vary a lot it seems so see if your next one is better. The first one I had was much lighter in color and heavier in weight . The second was way darker and lighter . Also the ebony fretboard was dry looking on the second one , first one was super smooth and dark in color. BTW do you think it's possible you left that mark ? I actually scratched mine underneath the top horn when I grabbed it with my wedding ring hand .

16. Nuno83

Nuno83 Member

No, wasn't me to leave that mark. The guitar arrived just last Monday. The first thing I did was to check the entire guitar for imperfections. Also I play without any kind of ring, watch and other. Concluding you can find that flaw on every fret, up and down the neck, may be just the highers don't present it.
    Btw reading to your story now I am afraid that substitute could be worse . The current is dark, very smooth, light in weight, with dry ebony fretboard (the fret on the hellraiser extreme almost shine ) and to be honest at all seems like there's some dirt on every side of the frets. Mine has a sound full of high frequencies and lack in basses, may be because of the light wood, could you tell me the sounds differences between your samples? It's possible that swamp Ash varies a lot in weight and consequently in sound because of the different drying of the wood.
    Please let me know.
    Thanks

17. davis1224

davis1224 SS.org Regular

Killer guitar, but I really cannot take on the headstock shape... would be much better for Jackson 3 + 3 / Ibanez style

18. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

They sounded almost identical. The first sounded slightly fuller, could be from the setup and different string gauges though. I compared them side by side for almost a week trying to weigh out the pros and cons between the two lol. I eventually kept the second one and returned the other. The biggest differences I saw were the finish, they vary A LOT. and the fret board. I have a video showing their physical differences that I will upload soon.

19. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I can’t stand gradient finishes, but this one isn’t bad at all. The back side is beautiful. HNGD

20. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

It'll always confuse me a bit, so many Schecters are perfect on paper, feel great in the hand, but just seems to be that I haven't found one that I really gelled with.