NGD - Schecter C-7 SLS Elite

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by JD27, Mar 24, 2018.

1. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I've been without a 7 since I sold my Carvin DC7X and ESP Horizon NT-7 over the summer and recently have been GAS'n for a replacement. Initially I found an old school LTD H-207 which appeared to be in great shape only to find out it had a broken truss rod. Thanks for that GC... So the search continued. It's been a good 10 years or more since I played a Schecter and was always pretty turned off by the cringe worthy inlays and over usage of abalone. The last couple of years though they have started to hit my radar. When I saw these, I was immediately drawn to them. Really nice specs on them and much improved in the visual appeal, to me at least. Only plan to toss some Gotoh MG-Ts that I had bought for the H-207 on.
    • Body Material:Swamp Ash
    • Top Material:Flamed Maple
    • Neck Material:Multi-ply Maple/Walnut/Padauk
    • Neck Shape:Ultra Thin "C"
    • Radius:12"-16" compound
    • Fingerboard Material:Ebony
    • Number of Frets:24, Extra Jumbo
    • Scale Length:26.5"
    • Nut Material:Ernie Ball Compensated nut
    • Bridge/Tailpiece:Hipshot Hardtail with String-thru-body
    • Tuners:Schecter Locking
    • Neck Pickup:Fishman Fluence Modern Alnico Humbucker
    • Bridge Pickup:Fishman Fluence Modern Ceramic Humbucker
    • Controls:1 x volume (push/pull), 1 x tone (push/pull), 3-way blade pickup switch
    When searching for these in stock, one thing I noticed is the fade on both colors is pretty varied, with some being very prominent and some, not at all. My Sweetwater duder got me on the list and sent me pics before they hit the site for sale so I could pick one I was happy with. It shipped on Monday from Sweetwater, but it's been sitting in a FedEx truck until today due to the East Coast snow storms. To my surprise, it was still in tune and didn't require any truss rod adjustments when it arrived today. I let it sit in the house for about 4 hours before opening the box.

Having owned a metric shit ton of guitars that are built in the WMI factory, I already had a good expectation for what I would get from them. All in all it is built solid, fret work is very nice for a guitar in this range, no sharp edges. Only finish complaints would be the neck is just a little rough where the maple/walnut/padauk is joined together in the are towards the headstock. Could have used a bit more sanding. Also, the electronics cavity is routed a bit sloppy. Plays really nice though, I dig the neck feel, it's plenty comfortable for me. I was also interested in trying the Fishmans. So far they seem solid, definitely clear and articulate enough for my taste. I'm still not certain what mode they are in when I use the push/pull on the volume/tone, but I think I prefer whatever the mode is when the tone is pulled. Today I just used my Helix Floor and Atomic FR 50 with some Recto and 5150 patches which I'm still tweaking. Tomorrow I'm going to use it with my 5153 EL34, I already know how to get a good sound out of that one and it's appropriately evil.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bonus money shot
    [​IMG]

2. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Man that thing is nasty! HNGD I'm love the gradient fade!

JD27 likes this.
  3. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Been waiting for someone to get one of these, they are sick guitars!!!!!!! Nice score

JD27 likes this.
  4. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Looks awesome. LOVE that aluminum Horizon.

JD27 likes this.
  5. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

I'm not much of a Schecter guy but this one is cool! HNGD!

Now take that hair off the 14th fret. :lol:

JD27 likes this.
  6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

wow, looks really really good!
    congrats, super jelly!

JD27 likes this.
  7. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

That is a true beauty, dude! Glad it didn't end up sitting there to become hell to deal with next week for you. I've been looking around at these and I think the pulled tone is passive version on the Fishmans.
    Really eager to hear some samples and see how it holds up for you through the honey moon phase. I know you were putting a lot of thought into the nut widths on the Horizon 7s, think the thinner neck ended up making that less of a thing?

JD27 likes this.
  8. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

That’s my Page Hamilton Horizon. The brushed aluminum finish is one of the coolest ever.:agreed:

cardinal likes this.
  9. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Couldn’t remember his name at the time. I saw Helmet years ago and got destroyed in the mosh pit and lover ever minute of it.

JD27 likes this.
  10. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Yeah, I was worried it was going to set all weekend on a truck. Yeah I liked the Horizon NT-7 because it had the more narrow 45mm nut. With that and the standard thin u profile it was almost like playing a 6 string. I picked this up after not playing a 7 for about 6 months and had no issues though. I think it being a thinner profile helps with the 48mm nut. That’s something that I had to get used to with the Carvin.

11. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Ha, I bet. Got to love some old school Helmet albums.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  12. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Schecters have really become some of my favorite guitars. My first guitar was an Omen 6 and it's still one of the best 300 dollar guitars I've ever played. I recently bought a 7 string banshee and a Banshee FR and they're both just fantastic guitars build quality wise. Especially after how disappointing my ibanez iron label turned out being. HNGD!

JD27 and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  13. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

I was the opposite, the first schecter I ever had was so crap that I haven't touched one in the 10 years since. The scarf joint near the headstock was coming apart, neck pocket cracked pretty aggressively, the hissing and buzzing when plugged into an amp was louder than the actual notes being played through it, the list goes on. It made me stereotype all schecters as garbage.

Now recently with models like this, the Apocalypse, and KM models now I find myself GASing hard to try one again. Unfortunately for me none of these models are available to try even remotely nearby, I have to rely on forums like this to read reviews.

JD27 likes this.
  14. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I like this one enough that I might grab a 6 in the Black Fade.

feraledge likes this.
  15. ZombieDank

ZombieDank SS.org Regular

Nice guitar man! I ordered the FR version last week and should receive it anytime now.

JD27 likes this.
  16. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

Frick man, that finish is something beautiful.

From a Schecter fanatic to hopefully a new born Schecter fan, HNGD!

JD27 likes this.
  17. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

Looks like you found it in the desert, lovely piece of wood :D Glad schecter stopped their tom bridges. Hardtail / fixedbridge is a blees, i have damien elite 7 MK.2 and it rocks but its 40% of yer price.

JD27 likes this.
  18. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

You have impeccable taste. 10/10 would rock it all day and all night. HNGD!

JD27 likes this.
  19. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

HNGD! One question, how bright u think it is, compared say to a bolt-on.? I'm tempted to get one but afraid neck thru maple construction may render it too bright.

JD27 likes this.
  20. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I don’t find it too bright. The swamp ash body seems to complement the Maple well, it’s fairly well balanced actually.

feraledge and Stuck_in_a_dream like this.